Masters Running

Friday Follies for 2/22 (Read 40 times)

C-R

First post? Where's Jay?

Had to run at 5 this morning since we have a plane to catch to head south. Lots of ice last night so I stayed on the TM which is ok. I run slower on it so it saves my legs. I think.

I missed the PO and regular box - interesting idea mari.

Butterfly Steve. I tried that once and the lifeguard came straight in to rescue me. Despite my protests of not being in trouble. I guess it looked pretty bad. Heh.

Well off to catch an airplane. I hope my speed work was sufficient.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a quick fly by post this morning as I am still quite busy and little time to spend at the computer with personal stuff (kind of stinks).

My schedule is so whacked it isn't funny, but at least I've learned that changing it up isn't a bad thing:

Wednesday was 5 easy on the treadmill - 41:46 (8:22)

Thursday - 12 mile run from the PD - 1:50:35 - (9:13) - It was cool & windy and I forgot my face mask...my chin and cheeks were absolutely frozen by the time I finished.  Other than that this was a nice easy long run.  (Plus I forgot my Garmin at home, but I used my phone and the Map My Run app) I didn't realize the free app doesn;t give you all your splits, you have to upgrade and pay to get that...Crap!

5 easy on tap for later today and swapping it up again for a longish 16 tomorrow to beat the third weekend snow storm in a row, this one is predicted to be wet and heavy for us with a dumping of an additional 6 - 12 inches on tap.  Hopefully we'll get luck and be on the lower end of the dump this time.  Looking on the bright side...at least I'm going to get to sleep in Sunday morning! Big grin

If i don't get a chance to jump in before Sunday evening good luck to all those Racing this weekend and Happy Birthday to a few as well.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Have a great trip, C-R. I hope you have time to get in some good runs, and have a good birthday, even if it'll be on the road.

Good workouts this week, Maine, whacked schedule or not.You should beat the snow if you get out tomorrow morning - Sunday may be a different story...

Mariposai, we had a great time making and eating our paella too. The inmates at the asylum (me and DW) also enjoyed the leftovers!

Good luck in Sunday's race, Ribs! Looking forward to your RR.

I'm glad your hip is doing better, Wannabe. Keep up the good work.

TomS - "bad attitude?" Not like you at all!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow, L. Renee! Sounds like you and Rene and your DHs have it nicely planned out.

Twocat - sorry the paella didn't make it to the Post Office...

Mike, I have a feeling you'd be a greta PT, if you can just get over the hurdles to get there.Thoughts and good wishes to Eric...

Good runs and swims for the rest of the group yesterday!

Looks like the half marathon in my neighborhood on Sunday may be canceled because of the coming snow, and I'm also going to cancel our Sunday racewalking training session so folks won't have any need to be driving in that stuff.

Just stretches and exercises (including DoodleySquats for TomW) this morning. Sigh...

Have a terrific Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Haven't got caught up yet with all the comings and goings...

4 miles in the PNW rain...Just the way we like it !!!

DD#1 is in the Wizard of Oz play at the local high school...she just has small parts, but she is the understudy for Dorothy...

Have  a greta Friday everyone!!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

King of PhotoShop

I can't figure out the birthdays.  Was it Leslie's or C-R's?  Anyway, whoever it is, happy birthday.

Let me just get this one little thing off my chest so the rest of you don't think I'm insensitive.  From time to time someone here is in trouble or needs a kind word or some help and often there is a request for prayer. I always feel bad about this because I don't pray or believe in prayer in that way. But just know that if any one of you is in need of help and I learn of it here I am thinking of you with very deep concern and care.

Today is day one of jumping out of my skin. No run today so I went to the Y and did a thorough flexibility workout, along with crunches, pushups, planks, wall sits, etc., and I am feeling super.  It's just that I'm antsy about this race.

Here is what is on my mind constantly.  When I was a young man and ran the marathon under 3, I knew that all I had to do was click off about 6:50 miles and I would be okay. Nothing to think about.  Now that I'm older, the time is around 4 hours, and I know to just keep the average miles at just over 9 minutes and I'm fine.

But I've never run 31 miles and it drives me nuts to not have a reliable pace to follow.  I'm just going to go out at LR pace and see how I feel at 22 I think.  Spareribs

...ribbs//.............here's a thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,just say ''Scroot'' on RaceDay and see how you do.......

I'm betting

you have trained as well

as anyone else can  for this distance........

==========

a Jay Day here.............

Early Morning Doodley

followed

by Squat later in the day......

but

at least TheBack Spasms have stopped...........YAY

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Took me a minute to figure out what "scroot" was....

Ribs - I have no doubt you will do great.

C-R - where you headed?

Mike - nothing wrong with going with your heart. I think you would make a wonderful PT.

I thought my out-of-town seminars were done with, but now my boss is sending me to Atlanta for a conference on 4/30-5/1.  Anyone here live close?

Knowing there was an ice storm predicted, I brought files home yesterday and have been working remotely.  I sure wish I could do this EVERY Friday, saving myself the long commute, but then I suppose the boss would have to let everyone else do it too....the ice arrived, and the schools were cancelled, but it appears to be melting now.

10 miles on the TM watching reruns of House.

BTW, anyone ever eat farro?  It's the oldest cultivated grain, the original grain from which all others derive.  Similar to a light brown rice in consistency, but a little nutty.  I'm tryig to get the family to try some new whole grains, and I picked some up at Trader Joe's.  For lunch I cooked the farro in chicken broth, then cooked up some onions, garlic, diced apple, and mild italian lo-fat sausage and then stirred it all together with the farro.  Tasty!  DS loved it and even DH (terrified of anything other than white rice) ate it...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Ribs, what about plugging in a couple recent race times into the McMillan calculator (or Running Wizard or any of the other ones out there), and then see what it predicts for you for the 50k?

I don't know what Scroot means, other than sounding a bit like the name of that evil dorky guy on "The Office".

Thanks for the reminded about the Swamp, Wildchild. Last I looked, I'm on page 3 somewhere. Hope I don't fall off/get kicked out once again...

Mike, whatever PT you choose to be, I'm certain you'll make an excellent one. Smile And here's more good thoughts for Eric coming your way.

And I'm not one to formally pray either, but when things are tough during a run for me, I try to remember others who are suffering or in need of good thoughts, and I breathe on their behalf instead. So that said, my mom just got the news yesterday that her cancer has metastasized once again, this time in her right scapula. Several years ago, it was in her sternum and the radiation treatment plus medication has kept it at bay. This is all originating from the BC she had while in her mid to late 30s, when I was a teenager. So yeah, breathe for her with me, if you could. Thank you.

Hard hill workout today, doing my Lydiard springing steps. The first hill circuit was "hot potato" feet going up, sprint down, then 3x 150m strides on the flat at the bottom, with equal length recoveries for each hard segment. The second was more of a lofty step up but still with high knees, so I called that "floaty potato". Four circuits in total, plus w/u and c/d, and the total came to 9.75 miles. And tomorrow I have another 16 miles for my long run, easy paced, but still. This training is starting to get rather challenging now. I like it. Smile

Prayers, Breathing, and Thoughts for all who are suffering, our runners and their loved ones alike.

And since I posted this on Thursday instead of Friday, I'm reposting.

Mike - I think you'd make an excellent personal trainer.  Do something you love and it won't be work.

SteveP - Dinner is whenever I arrive! Big grin  (That would be around 4:00/4:30 PST.  See you then.)

Good luck this weekend, Ribs!

Lost at Bunko last night Cry, but still had a good time.

4 EZ mile this a.m.  Had a hard time getting out of bed, which meant I didn't get up early enough to get in my core/strength training.  Big weenie baby.

So I'm trotting my way back home today, running in the bike lane against traffic (not hardly any traffic at that time in the a.m., so no problem).  Two guys are running on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.  Guy in front is wearing a red sweatshirt with the hood up.  Guy in the back is wearing . . . oh, whatever.  It doesn't matter to the story.  Anyway, Guy in Back and I waive at each other, and just as they both go outside of my peripheral vision I hear this great cashing sound and turn around 'cause I thought one of them had fallen.  Nope.  Hoody Guy ran straight into a metal sign post!  I turned around and saw him stopped, holding his forehead and nose, Guy in Back trying to see if Hoody Guy was okay, then they proceeded to walk a little bit.  I'm sorry, but I couldn't help giggling.  Dude!  Watch where you're going!!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

that's funny Leslie! My guess is he rubber necked it to get a look at you from behind and ran right into the pole!

5.5 miles on my lunch hour. Still mild and sunny out but snow/rain should be here in a few hrs. or so they say. . .

ditto on MikeE making a great personal trainer! and I think to somehow incorporate that into working with kids would be right up your alley too. I'm glad that even in elementary school, David's always had teachers that were real big proponents of exercise, so while they didn't have a requirement of PE daily and didn't have a separate PE teacher, his teachers have always had the kids exercise daily. And even in middle school now, they have PE daily and they work out hard! Between an hour of a good solid workout a day in PE, and 1.5 hrs of running practice most days, not to mention him playing basketball at home almost daily also, it's no wonder he has a tough time putting any weight on.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm sure ribs'll do great, . . . for the first 26.2 miles, that is, . . . . . . .  if that. Big grin

Not that it's ever happened to me or anyone else here but, uhmm, Leslie, what were you wearing anyway? Shocked

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. funny you should ask about farro.  One of my favorite grains. Tough to find though.  I have a phenomenal recipe that uses it on my Allrecipes page.  It is called something like farro with braised greens and I stole it from the WSJ slow food fast column.  Every time I make this it is a huge hit.

fatozzig you are clearly a menace to the running male population!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

that's funny Leslie! My guess is he rubber necked it to get a look at you from behind and ran right into the pole!

+1  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hard hill workout today, doing my Lydiard springing steps. The first hill circuit was "hot potato" feet going up, sprint down, then 3x 150m strides on the flat at the bottom, with equal length recoveries for each hard segment. The second was more of a lofty step up but still with high knees, so I called that "floaty potato". Four circuits in total, plus w/u and c/d, and the total came to 9.75 miles. And tomorrow I have another 16 miles for my long run, easy paced, but still. This training is starting to get rather challenging now. I like it. Smile

I love hearing about these workouts - very cool!

Twocat - do you have Trader Joe's where you are?  And can you give me the link to your recipe page again please?

wildchild

Carolyn

Sending hugs to Mike and Eric, and to OM and OM's mom.

No  bounding for me today - the trails are too snowy!  Just ran a slow steady 5 miles, which felt like more, because even with screw shoes the traction wasn't too good, and the snow is very  uneven because of all the footprints and bike tracks. .  Beautiful day, though, 33° and partly sunny.

Leslie - Big grin  I hope that guy remembered to pause his Garmin when he ran into the sign!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.