Masters Running

Wednesday, 7.20.16 (Read 38 times)

evanflein

Nice to see tomwhite back. And lamerunner. I forget what happened to your son's eye? Anything that puts "parasite" and "eye" in the same sentence can't be good! Hope your knee is ok, but I don't think that Synvisc is a very good solution. It's expensive and really doesn't work very well. Some people report good results, but the medium to long range clinical results are not good and it's so pricey. We don't cover it anymore.

Ditto on what others said about helping kids. Kind of hard not to, ya know? I have had a lot of help over the years from my parents, and never take it for granted. All loans are paid back promptly, all advice is well taken (and usually spot-on). I can't see why I wouldn't do the same for mine if they needed it.

Rosie, why don't you ask the guys to do housework? I say guys, but only know of one... It's his house too.

So, after over an hour at the podiatrist's office, 3 x-rays, lots of discussion and $535.31 later, I find that my foot suffered recent trauma and is continuing it's gradual adaptation to my sport given it's natural deformity. Long way of saying, it was hurt, it's getting better, but no real damage. Interesting to compare the x-rays from November 2009 to today... lots of changes in the metatarsal of that third toe. It's about 1/8" shorter than 7 years ago, and lots of scar tissue/bone growth around where I apparently had a stress fracture (??) way back then. He gave me some new metatarsal pads ("gave" being questionable given final bill) to try, but thinks I'm doing really well for all the running I manage to do (mostly pain free) on my weird foot. He's also my dad's podiatrist, and understands where I got this thing from so that's helpful. The recent trauma was probably either the concrete at Green Bay (feet hurt after that one, but got better pretty fast), and/or the mile race last month (not used to speed work, even after a warm up). Most likely a combination of the two since foot really started hurting after the mile race. Recommendation is to keep doing what I'm doing, let pain/discomfort be my guide and carry on. Alrighty then. I think I'll go for a little run after my last meeting today!

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, I have so much I want to say,  but just no time.  I am continuing to try to get caught up with my work so I can go on vacation, so am currently working on deeds for next week.  Lots of good advice here, and plenty of {{{hugs}}} for all of you (us?) who need them.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I wish I got paid 254 dollars for 15 minutes of manual therapy.  That's 1016 dollars an hour!  I could work 3 to 5 hours a month and be ok!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

I ran 4.07 today. Pretty slow but better than doing nothing.

I'm still waiting to see what my MRI is going to cost me. I tried to find out in advance but the place I was going to said they couldn't find my insurance and so they had no idea what it would be. Looking at prices at various places it is going to be anywhere from $800 to $4000. I should have worked harder to get a good deal but I just wanted to get it done so I went where the doctor sent me. It'll all be part of my $5000 deductible.

It's so nice that we got the "affordable care act". 

Dave59 - YIKES!! My MRI co-pay was $150 for my back ..... hope you get pleasantly surprised.

Holly - keep fighting that bill, just doesn't make sense to me

JLynne - I so hear you about helping your son - I am always trying to decide if I am helping or enabling the 2 of  sons with issues

Erika - glad nothing serious going on in your foot

Enke - good luck with the job prospects

No running yesterday or today for me unless you can count the many steps I put in on the labor floor during my 16 hour shift yesterday and 12 hour shift today!!  Well today's shift was shortened to 8.5 because as I was transferring a patient to the post-partum unit the IV pump slid down the pole it was on and crushed my hand on the stretcher handle.  Can we say OUCH!!!! Ended up having to go to the ER and have an x-ray because occupational health was closing for the day. No broken bone in my hand (I could tell anyway), but had to follow the right steps just in case. It is pretty sore but I'm off the next 5 days so it should help!!  So glad it wasn't my foot!!! 

denise

SteveP

Yep--I would have told you the same thing...until Eric came along.  If you feel that it's the right thing to do, then it's the right thing to do.

That's brilliant.

SteveP

Are you &$@*#% kidding me!?!????  And this is because the therapy wasn't in a doctor's office????

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance