Masters Running

President's Day Daily, 2.15.16 (Read 39 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, I wussed out on a run today - it was in the low 30s but the wind is shaking the house - gusts over 40 mph, and it just doesn't look like any fun out there.  Plus, it's cold enough that all the slush from the past warm week is frozen into a treacherous mess.  Bleh.   I'm planning to meet some friends in town to run tomorrow - hope the wind dies down!

Slo, congrats to your DD on her audition!  What's she planning to major in?

I marvel at folks like Aamos who can run negative splits in a marathon!  I guess the key is to start out slow enough that you have a higher gear left at the end.  And I don't know how it would work for a trail race anyway, because pace is so dependent on terrain.  That's why I like ultras - it doesn't really matter how fast you run - you start slow, and slow down from there.  That's the best way to make sure you can enjoy running all day  long!

Hi Rhoon - good to see you!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I always love your photos, Rhoon. Tselbs, good that you are getting out. How soon before the doctor will let you run?  Jay, kudos to you for getting in 9 at those temps. Not having wind does make a difference. Slo, that is tough running through the snow, it is like running in sand. The streets and bike paths are surprisingly clean here and it was melting a bit today. Sorry about all the ice on the east coast. Good job in the Valentine 5k, Tet. No pictures? Amy, very well put thoughts on pacing strategy. I have done very few races so my goal is usually just to finish.

I had today off, yeah! I watched my friends two little ones, 3 & 5 and we had a fun day making cookies, playing, reading books and coloring. They thought it was cool that my piano can play, and sing, by itself. I went for a run around the lake after they left and surprised myself with a fairly good time. It was 37* and very nice out.

Thanks for for reminding me to buy chocolate on sale, Amy!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

6 miles--outside for the first time in a whole long time--it was so nice.  Tomorrow I have a church meeting and I'm supposed to do 10 miles with 3 miles of speed work--I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

The Easy Pacer and I are missing our skiing buddies tonight. BTW, Mr. Blue Eyes is a very fun fellow to hang out with. Very gentle, great sense of humor and very, very fit. Ohhh and the most important thing...he treats our Enkie as a princess. We had a great time with them.

Post brunch and good-bye hugs the Easy Pacer and I went out for our long run of the week. 8 steady miles with him. Then he drove back home and left me on the road to finish my planned 20 miler. The last long run before New Orleans. I was amazed on how well my legs managed the long run considering the long hours of X-country skiing I did in the last two days. I was even able to crank up 7 miles at MP on the second half of the run. I will take it. Taper time!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Very cool, Slo_Hand.

Hiya!

Great run Marj, but sorry for Henry.  Looking forward to seeing you both next weekend!   Steve, when do you want to try and get together?

We have a niece in Tampa we'd like to see. We don't know her schedule yet. I hate leaving things up in the air.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Nancy - nice run and great picture!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo, congrats to your DD on her audition!  What's she planning to major in?

Secondary Education with a Biology Major.

moebo

Slo, I meant to congratulate you on your daughter's successful audition. You must be so proud!

And Mariposai, nice job on that 20-miler (with 7 at MP)!