Masters Running

Opinions on Vibram Five Fingers Please! (Read 642 times)

Renee the dog

I don't really get it.  What are you supposed to be getting for all that money?

Warm feet in the winter time?   I love running barefoot, but I can not adjust to doing so in the colder weather (which for me is 3 seasons of the year!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm starting to look for something minimal and cheap. 

Tet, any specific brands/models to suggest?

thanks tramps,

The neopreme aquasock beach shoes available at drug/etc. stores for about $10 (used to be $5 only two years ago, - $2.99 on sale) give protection from sharp rocks in chipseal pavements and along so-called “improved” trails.  They were popularized as a barefoot alternative by Dr. Charley Robbins, famed AAU distance champion in the 40's and 50's.  http://www.kidsrunning.com/news/krmanchesterbrowne.html

Aquasocks could be squished into a fanny pack for use as needed when confronting sharp surfaces.  However, they would get pretty warm in the summer so, once, I tried a pair of thongs to see how they’d do on a 10 mile race up-and-down Cougar Mountain near Seattle.  The thongs were even more barefoot than the aquasocks so I wore them all the way in a 50-mile trail run the following week up-and-down two mountains.

Now, with the thongs, all I have to do is string them into a fanny pack belt or stuff into running wear for use as needed.  I’ve even worn an extra large size once as a test of how forward momentum seems to keep them on while running.  Otherwise a small size will ensure secure straps while runningz. 

Incidentally, among the hundreds of barefoot runners I’ve met in real or heard from/about on the internet boards, only two so far are purist barefoot.  All the rest of us sometimes wear various kinds of minimalist protections as needed.  Natheless, there’s never a disparaging word from the purists.  To the contrary, they give advice whenever/wherever welcome. 

In fact, as a result of their patience and advice about softly, quietly touching the ground, I was recently able to extend my barefooting in the chipsealy Yakima River Canyon Marathon from mile seven to seventeen. 

good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Thanks, Tet.

Be safe. Be kind.