Masters Running

Tuesday, November 3rd Runs and Rests (Read 466 times)

evanflein

TimBo, looking forward to some really cool things from you at your marathon! I know you'll do greta.

Craneium, a tough story to read, but I'm sure it's been difficult for you to come to this point. Sharing here is a huge step.

Mary, that B'Nellie is adorable.

Ok, so.... podiatrist appointment today. Interesting visit, really. Didn't get the "oh you'll be fine" result I was sekritly hoping for. Turns out in the past year it seems I've had a couple of stress fractures (or something similar) in my third metatarsal. We had x-rays from last October 8 (2008, about a month before NYC marathon) and today, and the difference was amazing. The bone which was smooth and straight, is now thickened and uneven, indicating a lot of healing in a couple of places. The joint where the toe meets the foot is showing signs of severe injury and healing, uneven thickening and calcium deposits. That's why it hurts to bend it upward, and why walking is sometimes painful. He asked if I'd run much since last year's NYC marathon... um, I was almost embarrassed to say yes. 

"How much?" he asked. 

Well.... there was the Disney Marathon in January, Boston (but only made it half way), all the local series races from a mile on the track, to two 5k's, an 8k, 10k, half marathon and a 16.5 mile hilly trail race, the Seattle Rock-n-Roll marathon in June, Equinox 50k Ultra in September, and the Royal Victoria Marathon on Oct. 11. 

"That's it?" he asked.

I thought again and said, "Yeah, I think that's it."

"Good Lord," he said. Most people would not be able to do that. You must be pretty tough."

I smiled, "really? nobody's ever said that before..." (ha)

He chalked it up to endorphins, I pled Scandinavian stubbornness. Whatever, it is what it is. It won't necessarily ever go away, and I'll have to manage it for the rest of my active life. He prescribed orthotics, which I've resisted up till now... but ok, I give. I'll try it.

He said "I won't tell you not to run, because I know you will anyway. But some downtime would be good, and you should build it into your regular schedule." I told him about my pool running and stuff, and it's all good he thinks. So... I'll carry on. Taking it easy and I foresee a lot of time in the pool and on the elliptical. But I'll still be running, too!

Oh, rest day today... but more because of scheduling problems than anything else.

SteveP

Must have been the full moon that inspired Brinkley and I to stay out for 6 miles this morning!    Not only that, but they were all under 10 min. miles.   9:58 / 9:45 / 9:36 / 9:40 / 9:38 / 9:45 - 172 AHR

Not a bad start to the day I tell ya.  Wink

Where's your show at Mary??? Tag wants to help Huntley to find what ever he's looking for.

I'm very sorry to hear about your neighbors Sue.

Craneium, thanks for sharing your experiences. You're very respected here.

SteveP