Masters Running

Jan. 12 Race inspired runs and whatever (Read 453 times)

Tramps - Just read your post from yesterday. How fun!! A run I doubt you'll forget very soon. (((sigh))) Never been to DC, but it's definitely on my wish list.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Life really is like a box of chocolates. and I am glad today's sweetness came in the form of Tramp's DC run. Thanks for sharing with us. Your run yesterday was historical for all of us. Some day I will tell my grandkids.....now...when I was young, one of my running friends ran infront of....and saw the band practicing for the Presidential inauguration......Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

That really must have been pretty cool Tramps, you were lucky to have been there for that. Ribs - congrats to you and the Saint, great job. It is so good to see you running so well again. Timbo - way to go buddy, now just don't take it too fast...slow and easy! I know that's what I would do...right? Confused Meg - come on now...we both know that 8:05 is not SLOW!!! But I sure know what you mean about having a hard time running slow. Monday - 5.01 miles for me today - 4 miles progressive w/1 mile cool down - 37:27 (7:29) - overcast & 26 degrees 7:54 - 7:50 - 7:37 - 6:36 - 7:21 - :09

Renee the dog

Interesting last hour surfing the net for me. I put my adjusted-to5K time (based on my 2.9 mi pace) into McMillan, and it predicted my 1/2 marathon time to within 4 seconds of what I ran in October. Then I looked at the marathon predicted time and it was 4:00. Something about that was familiar, so I went to the Boston Marathon website, and HOLY CRAP, if I can figure out how to run 26.2 miles...I might be able to qualify for Boston. As I change age groups at the end of this year, 4 hrs is my new age group qualifying time. I just told my husband, and he said, "Let's go for this." So, we're hoping I do well in the fall at the LBI 18 miler and then we'll likely go to VA Beach for their March Marathon weekend as they have an 8K and kids races the day before. That way, all 4 of us will get to run. Smile Our house is filled with positive electricity right now. I ran a 5K in VA Beach with Hurrican Noel off the coast (ha ha how appropriate) in 2007 and we all had a blast there. To think if things progress it could be my first marathon.... I only started running in Feb. 2006. Is it too soon for me to be considering a marathon?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I only started running in Feb. 2006. Is it too soon for me to be considering a marathon?
            Heck no! (Disclaimer: Advise given by someone who attempted her first 50k trail run after only a year of running under her belt and came in DFL . . . but finished! . . . so take said advise with the grain of salt it so richly deserves. Wink )

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

munchkn883

Just got back from a chilly 3.5 mile walk. Brrrrrrr
              dg.

Interesting last hour surfing the net for me. I put my adjusted-to5K time (based on my 2.9 mi pace) into McMillan, and it predicted my 1/2 marathon time to within 4 seconds of what I ran in October. Then I looked at the marathon predicted time and it was 4:00. Something about that was familiar, so I went to the Boston Marathon website, and HOLY CRAP, if I can figure out how to run 26.2 miles...I might be able to qualify for Boston. As I change age groups at the end of this year, 4 hrs is my new age group qualifying time. I just told my husband, and he said, "Let's go for this." So, we're hoping I do well in the fall at the LBI 18 miler and then we'll likely go to VA Beach for their March Marathon weekend as they have an 8K and kids races the day before. That way, all 4 of us will get to run. Smile Our house is filled with positive electricity right now. I ran a 5K in VA Beach with Hurrican Noel off the coast (ha ha how appropriate) in 2007 and we all had a blast there. To think if things progress it could be my first marathon.... I only started running in Feb. 2006. Is it too soon for me to be considering a marathon?
                Nono... Big grin. you are fast. I was just noticing that recently. just have to make the fast long. (btw. never listen to me) Too soon? ...I hope not. I started Sept. of 2006 & have been DL'd about half of the time. am about twice your age. twice as slow. but signed up for one too. fall, yes? Oh boy. I'll even teach you the Look Of Death. (essential for suriving parenthood. )
                  Nonoruns.....not too soon!! I started Jan 2006 and did my first May 2008. I was doing about 30 mpw occasionally bumping up to 40 for a good year before I started marathon training. Running a marathon was the last thing on my mind until I noticed other newbies doing one with only two years of running under their belts (or shoes). No advice...just look at the training plans and think about slowly increasing your base mileage. I hope to do my second this April...just have to log 600 or so miles between now and then...and I'll be ready.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Photo of DW & I on yesterdays run e-mailed to me today. 3.2 on the treadmill this evening. Sleepy Alright Timbo Great News & way to be patient. Tramps nice report and pics yesterday.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Nono... Big grin. you are fast. I was just noticing that recently. just have to make the fast long. (btw. never listen to me) Too soon? ...I hope not. I started Sept. of 2006 & have been DL'd about half of the time. am about twice your age. twice as slow. but signed up for one too. fall, yes? Oh boy. I'll even teach you the Look Of Death. (essential for suriving parenthood. )
                      Listen to me both of you. You must do the miles first, worry about speed later, so the sequence looks like this: 1) Gradually increase the once a week long run. Key word is gradually. 2) Slowly, slowly, grow weekly mileage. 3) 8 weeks out from your goal race, incorporate some speed, so that you will run comfortably at goal pace. Those are the keys to your first one. I am excited for you both. And of course, yes, you can do it. Spareribs
                      dg.

Listen to me both of you. You must do the miles first, worry about speed later, so the sequence looks like this: 1) Gradually increase the once a week long run. Key word is gradually. 2) Slowly, slowly, grow weekly mileage. 3) 8 weeks out from your goal race, incorporate some speed, so that you will run comfortably at goal pace. Those are the keys to your first one. I am excited for you both. And of course, yes, you can do it. Spareribs
                        Thanks. Big grin. it is past my bedtime, but a quick question. What are your thoughts on the ratio of the once a week LR & weekly mileage? And at what point would you introduce a second longer run?