Masters Running

Wed Oct 1 Runs and Workouts (Read 582 times)

WC- I lived in West Philly for ten years....walked through the Penn campus daily, but never attended. Interesting dichotomy in that part of Philly....I miss little India. 6 x 1200m @ 6:45 pace, rest laps, WU/WD....9.23 miles, 1:15:23, 144/173
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tramps, I went to an Ivy (Penn) because it was free! My dad was an engineering professor there, so I got a full faculty scholarship. I, too, felt kind of like a fish out of water there, but I got a good edukayshun and made some lifelong friends.
      Everyone thought I got to go to U. of Texas free since my dad was an engineering prof there, but I guess that doesn't apply to public schools! I did get some scholarship money, though - they were so happy to have women interested in the field.
        Carolyn and Walt, how about soft pretzels? I used to visit my Aunt in Upper Darby lots when I was a kid and young adult. Tramps, I got my teaching certification via an institute and student teaching out of Brandeis. Gosh, what a glorious day out there. Got a late start as I spent the morning in CPR/AED Training (figured it's the least I can do!). Judges away at a conference this afternoon and tomorrow, so I did get out. 6.65 at an 8:27 pace: 8:43/8:36/8:44 8:31/8:07/8:01 and slow down in last .65 to an 8:22 pace. Ave HR 156. So I emailed one of of my favorites authors at his website. His novels often refer to clams. He sent me back a reference to a real clamshack in Maine AND a beautiful picture of clams with bellies. Big grin grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles
        lamerunner

Aamos, glad you found your clams, but what is up with the bellies? Other than chowder, I am not much of a clam person. I have lived in New England a long time, but bellies??? where are the bellies. Are you clam loading for this race? Sorry, as i said, I am a lousy taperer, going a bit crazy. Found a cheap lodging in Portland so that is good, back willing and if the sea don't rise! Looks like good weather for the weekend, sunny and cool. Have not heard about wind.
          evanflein

Everyone thought I got to go to U. of Texas free since my dad was an engineering prof there, but I guess that doesn't apply to public schools!
            Well that's strange, I thought that was the last big benefit hold out for public schools. Univ. of Alaska gives unlimited credit hour tuition waivers to dependents of employees. Unfortunately, my kids are sort of anxious to leave Alaska and go somewhere warmer... I'm trying to talk them into UA for at least their first year or two, then they can transfer elsewhere. I got in a nice treadmill run tonight. Could've run outside, but the first and last miles would've been very very icy. Sort of "ice-injury averse" right now... 8 miles in 1:07.... 8:49, 8:34, 5 @ 8:20 and last mile at 8:00 even. Nice to feel like I could've gone longer/faster, but that's the nice thing about the treadmill... it keeps me honest on pace/distance. Twocat and Aamos, how are we going to meet up in NYC?