Masters Running

Optimal spacing of two marathons? (Read 265 times)

Tramps

I'm thinking of running two marathons this Fall instead of my usual one but I'm not sure what would be the optimal time between them. They need to be far enough apart to allow for adequate recovery but not so far apart that I lose significant conditioning. I'm thinking maybe 3-4 weeks apart would be best. I know everyone's different and I'll have to learn by some trial and error, but I'd still be interested in what you more experienced runners think. P.S. No, SRL, I don't think 24 hours between race starts would be ideal for me. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

4 to 6 weeks in my expert opinion. Big grin

Runners run

evanflein

Yeah, Ilene, 4-6 is good. I prefer 3-4, myself. That way, you never have to do long training runs, just recovery, tune up, short taper and do it again! Big grin (ok, so maybe Ilene and I aren't the ones he wants to hear from.... heh.)
          2 weeks gets you into marathon maniacs. just sayin' Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

xor

I run them day after day because it is an interesting challenge, but I'd never seriously suggest that as a way to keep your fitness and run a good race Smile. That said, I do better when they are 1-2 weeks apart than when they are 4. My PRs are always 1-2 weeks after another long race. BUT, I've trained that way a long time. Every body is different, and it depends on how quickly you recover. If you want to parlay existing fitness into a second good effort, then 4-6 weeks is a sweet spot assuming you didn't trash yourself in the first race. If you are wanting to truly improve for the second race, then 12. Those numbers are opinion based and off the top of my head. But they do come from my experience (you and I are about the same speed) and other folks I seem to finish near a lot.

Imminent Catastrophe

I don't have as many data points as SRL but my experience is the same, some of my best races came 1-3 weeks after a very easy marathon. Just treat the first as a long easy training run with aid stations and a T-shirt. Did I mention that it should be easy?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

It depends on your expectations of performance. If you'll do both or at least the first one as long fun-runs 2-3 weeks is fine. If you're looking to do a top performance, 4-6 is about right. If it is 5 or 6, you can get in a good mid 'peak' week between. I've done Boston then Vermont marathons for the past few years. They're about 5 weeks apart and I can be fresh for Vermont if I don't hammer to hard in Boston. More than 5-6 weeks and you'd have to figure out something other than a 'maintain' training plan.
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                  I did 2 marathons this Spring for first time ever. (Generally 2 a year is tops). I found 8 weeks waspretty good to come back from reverse taper and peak again. My first one was not very fast so I'm not sure about doing 2 hard ones close together. Ray

King of PhotoShop

Everyone is different is the key phrase here. In my youth I deliberately ran a "tune-up" marathon somewhat off-pace, then ran the serious marathon about six weeks later and this always worked well for me. I have no idea how to advise someone to run two top performance marathons, but I do have a bias to have the two races far enough apart to give you room for one more long run. Mariposai for example, did a marathon April 18th and has another one coming up first week of June. This will allow her a mid- to late May 20-miler. She will also do most of her runs at easy pace with some short, sharp speedwork starting next week. This should help keep her fresh and allow for some rest. Spareribs
                    Tramps

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Your questions about goal are key, of course. I know weather and an “off” day can undermine months of training so I’m doing two races to give myself a shot at doing well for at least one of them. I’ve decided to try Bay State (10/18) and Philadelphia (11/22). That gives me 5 weeks to recover and ramp back up for a second shot. Now I’ve got to come up with a training plan!

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Tramps, Since I am not an expert and cannot prove this physiologically, please take this as anecdotal information. Remember back in 2005? When Ralph and I ran 7 marathon? Starting with Tampa in February and then one in March, June, July, September, October, and November? Well, my best two (4:05's) were one month after marathons at which I did not hurt myself. 1. Tampa 4:22. One month later: Lower Potomac River Marathon 4:05 2. Omaha 4:50. One month later: Mystic Places Marathan 4:05 Here's the kicker, one month after Mystic Places, I ran Philadelphia and it was a death march at the end. 4:35. If it were me, I'd target the second one. Which for you would be Philadelphia.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Renee the dog

What a bummer you can't stand coastal wind! Otherwise, we could have possibly met at Rehoboth the day before. (Philadelphia) DRAT!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!