Masters Running

40+ On the Run w/e 12/20/08 (Read 493 times)

xor

I tried ~ really!! Tongue Skiers here are in HEAVEN!! (well, maybe could be just a tad warmer....but still....)
    Here's something you can do. Instead of loading it into photobucket, load it into photobucket's little brother, http://tinypic.com (also owned by photobucket). Then, set the "resize" field to either "website/email" (pretty small) or "message board" (slightly bigger). Using tinypic is kinda like grabbing a brew at Delta House: don't cost nothin.

Ultrachick

Nice pictures Cindy! You beat me to it! I was just waiting for some more snow and we're getting it! Of course, that's when I went out for my run. I could hardly see where I was going on the way back running into a northwest wind and icycles on my eye lashes. Glad it was just water and not sweat. This is our grill at 3:45 this afternoon THis is our grill at 10:15pm tonight and it's still coming down So I got 6.5 miles in today. The snow was grippy so I wasn't sliding too much-just the silly cars weren't giving me much room on the side of the road. Going to Stowe tomorrow to teach-skiing should be fabulous!! Have a great weekend! Kelly MTA-I shrunk the pictures! I guess not small enough. Smile
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        Kelly - That's quite the snow accumulation! Glad it's you and not me. Joe - Cripes! I completely missed the 2,000 miles. Congratulations!! PS - How many miles are Buddy miles?? He deserves kudos, too. Big grin For a number of years I've had what I've always called a sensitive stomach. When I was a kid, I had an ulcer. Over the past few years, a couple of times it's been so bad, I've gone to the ER. Thought I was on my way there this afternoon, it hurt so bad. It was feeling a bit better this evening until I ate, and now it's trying to come back. My buddy, Karen, thinks it's my gallbladder. Said she had the same symptoms for a long time. Anybody here ever had gallbladder issues? I don't know what's worse when it hits, the pain or the nausea. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow so I can fun, but we'll see.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Love the snow pics Kelly.....great runs for you as well. Hope your feeling better today Leslie.....when you went to the ER those couple of times, what sorta tests did they run on you? It's been a week since my last run. Went out this morning and within a mile I was hurting. Really hurts on the outside of the knee and up the thigh into the butt area. Really stinks.....I guess I'll give it another week of rest and see how it goes. Go figure, light work schedule, no school, all the time in the world to run now and I can't. O.K., that's my pity party! Undecided Have a great weekend.......Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            Jewels - Have you used a foam roller on your IT? It sounds like something's tight, and that's the only thing I can think of. I feel fine this a.m., but still decided not to run since I wasn't able to eat hardly anything yesterday and doubt have the calories to expend and I'm tired. I hate the guilty feeling I get, though, when I don't run as scheduled. Stupid, I know, but there it is. Jewels, they never tested me for anything the other times I went to ER 'cause I told them about my previous ulcer issues. That's what I and my docs have always assumed. Had my stomach scoped a couple of years ago to see if the ulcer was still there, and it's not, so they decided it was acid reflux. But it's the suddenness and intensity of it the last couple of times that bugs me. Anyway, Karen is trying to scare the crap out of me and wants me to go to Urgent Care today and see if they'll get me on antibiotics. I want to wait and try to get into my doctor on Monday. She even called her sister (a doctor) who said if it's the gallbladder and it gets impacted, they have to cut you open across the stomach to get it out. We'll see . . . .

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

2.1 miles 3 deg -12 wc just about my HTFU limit. Worst thing about a short run is about the time you warm up its over but keeping most of my runs short til I get over some owies. Leslie I'm no dr and I am a long ways from a Holiday Inn Express, but maybe stress is a contributer, hope you can get it checked out by a real doc. Wink Joe fantastic year, 2k mi and a marathon!! Kelly let it snow,come to CO and we'd take a lesson from ya!! Cindy how far from the mtn house to Breck? That I -70 vail pass pic didn't look like fun. I hate sun afternoons on that road!! Jewels take care of that knee thigh thing, is that what they call Runners' Knee? Carol maybe your gym friend will run with ya outside if you did the swim with her? Ev apparently you and your wife have been up front with each other evr since Wink Wink Big grin Arla are you done with the 20 milers and about to enter "taperdom"?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ev apparently you and your wife have been up front with each other evr since Wink Wink Big grin
                Good one Jim! 6 easy miles for me this early afternoon. Temps about 34F fairly breezy...maybe 20-25 mph. All in all it turned out to be a really nice run. Ultra, your BBQ grill looks sad. Sad fattozig.....get whatever that is that's bothering you tended too as soon as possible. Don't make me come uup there! Jewels....take it easy on that leg. Is the pain in the thigh on the side, front, or back in the hamstring area. The pain in the side of the knee sounds like ITB. Like fatozzig said, maybe foam roller. Or I do some stretches after runs for IT. I haven't had much of an issue since. Google up ITB stretches and see what that gets you. Also for glute and hamstring tightness I do a stretch post run where I lay on the ground and put one foot over the other knee, then bring that knee towards the chest. Really stretches the glutes good. I had an issue with sciatica or hamstring (not sure which). I think I over stretched the hamstrings and this caused me great discomfort for many months. Hope that is not what is bothering you. Anyway, good luck with it. Jim, WTG in that cold weather. Not sure I could get it done like you're doing. But I've always had a great deal of respect for the farmer (and the oil field worker). It doesn't matter what the weather conditions are, there is work to be done.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Finished up the rest of my shopping this morning.....Kenny and girls went Christmas shopping together. Hopefully since they went with him I won't end up with a dual bag vacuum cleaner or pots n' pans. It is definately not any type of tightness. I've had my share of that and can easily stretch things out within a couple of days. This is "can't go any further pain". Outside of knee pain first and then the butt bone area gets super sore. Don't know if they are both related or not..... Anyway, went and visited my niece in the hospital this morning. We are more like cousins rather than Aunt and niece because she is only 8 years younger then me. So.....this is her 2nd back surgery. They had to remove the old rod as something collapsed and the rod was too short so they had to replace it with a longer rod. Her surgery was last Wed. morning and she is barely walking. She's going to heal just fine.....but it puts a little perspective on how lucky I really am to be able to do what I do. Thanks everyone.... and Leslie, make sure you get things checked out as soon as you can! Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    Jewels, yes, perspective is a good thing. Still hard to be hobbled when you were making good progress. But if the pain says stop, you gotta do just that! Speaking of pain, Leslie that doesn't sound good. If it is gall bladder related, the scope can make that really quick and easy to take care of...if you don't wait too long (hint, hint) Wink Cindy, careful on those mountain roads. I know you know how to drive on that stuff, but sounds pretty scary for us southerners! Super year for Mr. Joe!, and Buddy the dog. Sounds like we need to get Buddy his own Garmin for Christmas so he can track his miles. Do you multiply dog miles times 7? Cool pics from the west and the northeast! Purty snow Smile. Kelly, frozen eyelashes...you're a brave girl! Evryday, that cold front is hitting us now. Yesterday was shorts weather. And Jim and Lynda, sounds like you're still getting it done! Jim, hope your owies get better with some reduced miles and less physical farm work. Christmas shopping done, and just confirmed Christmas is here for our family (8 people, 5 dogs, 1 cat). Not too big, but considering the painting was just completed this week and we have all the pics to hang back up + furniture to move back, cleaning to do, presents to wrap, Christmas tree and decs to put up + I work M through W + pet sitting blitz starts tomorrow, I'm feeling overwhelmed and in a "not sure where to start" mood. Lack of running is not helping that mood, and trip to the gym yesterday was pretty...ahem...revealing. I have not had on a bathing suit in a while, and it was not a good sight. But swimming was kind of nice for a change and my friend loved it. We had a good time visiting. As for having a workout partner, that might work some of the time, but I'm afraid our schedules and desired workouts are not going to mesh very well. She hasn't worked out in a long time, so I think it would be more about our friendship and building her up. I'm willing to do that some, but will also need other workouts to maintain or make progress myself. OK, I'd better go do SOMETHING Smile. Happy Christmas week runs, rests, and recoveries to you all!
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                      2.1 miles 3 deg -12 wc
                      Ugh!! Ev - Isn't it great when a run turns out nice like that? Jewels - Yes, perspective is everything. But something's going on with your knee. You shouldn't be getting that kind of pain. Have you talked to your doctor? What about your shoes? (not talk to them, how many miles on 'em.) Carol - It sounds like you have a load of work to do before Christmas. Undecided Maybe you should ditch it all and go to Hawaii! Arla - How are you? Where are you? Kelly - Must be busy, busy, busy. Cindy - We know she's incommunicado most of the time. I don't think I understand completely - do they move to their mountain house this time of the year so she can work at the resort?? Joe - I like Carol's idea of a Buddy Garmin. Big grin Don't worry, folks. I plan on calling my nurse practitioner on Monday. She's very opened minded, and if I say, hey, can we check this out? She'll be all for it. Made a big ole pot of Navy beans and ham hock and cornbread for dinner. Yum!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Forty Folks- Leslie- that sounds like its worth getting checked out like Carol says,sooner than later.We want you around kiddo,better not to wait. Nice grill pics Kelly.Doesn't look like any cheeseburgers are going on there any time soon.Good job getting out in the snow. Jim- I think you and the Mrs deserve the HTFU award for the week!Those are serious temps so good job just getting out in that! Evryday- your log looks like a model of consistency!Nice going! I'm sure you're settled into watching the game.I wish I could wish you Good Luck but my mouth can't form the words. GgggggggLlll......see? Sure it must be some show with the closing of the stadium and all.I don't get NFL Network so I'll have to miss it. Cry Carol- at this time of year ,swimming sounds nice.It's a great workout and maybe your friend will progress quickly. Ya Jewels ,rest is best for that.Sounds like IT band to me too.Like Leslie said,foam roller or I use "The Stick" It's a roller too but made of wood.I find the harder wood gives a better massage. Thanks for the tips Stevie Ray,they come in handy.BTW, I still wonder if you're really Superman or something. Any Arla sightings lately? I figure that out of 2000 miles ,Buddy was with me for at least 1600 of them.I have to cut him back in the summer heat and marathon training required non stop runs. But there we were today, a nice 6 mile trail run in 28* and cloudy with little wind. Deer hunting season is coming up so then it's only Sunday's for the trails for us. Great weekend all!

xor

content removed because aquarius aligned with mars. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

Alrighty then..... Big grin My head hurts!! Black eye
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Hey Gang! Smile So good to see ya'll happily thriving in here! I know I seen Arla on page 2.... Big grin...Thanks Stevie Ray...& I'll give that tinypic thing a go...that last one came directly from a Blackberry (& viewed on a BB they all look the same!) rather than a regular camera (wth is that anyway!?) Good lookin snow there Kelly! Wink Hey! you only ski? or do you also ride?? (I primarily ride) Mt Dew Challenge (including Shawn, Gretchen, Hannah, etc...) going on in Breck this wknd....freaking cold yesterday in the terrain park tho!! Shocked Yup, Carol...I'm being careful on the mtn roads...I have an "appropriate" vehicle & going slow is a condition of ski traffic Tongue.... & sometimes the conditions pictured are very temporary (thank goodness!!) Jewels: in lieu of spending $45+ for a stick or foam roller...take a hot bath (pref w/Epsom salts) & dig out your rolling pin Wink ....it may feel loose, but it's gotta be pulling somewhere...pay attention to right above, outside edge, the knee & up by the hip....google it to see where the attachments are! makes it make sense why it pulls where it does.. R2: (me & Doug giggling about your HTFU limit comment!! Big grin - 9News has wc @ -10 this am so far!!)...mtn house is 45 miles over Hoosier pass from Breckenridge in the Winter - a bit SE...about an hour on a "good day" fortunately, CDOT keeps hwy 9 (Hoosier) diligently open due to the proximity of Cheyenne Mtn! (NORAD) so, I-70 is an infrequent nightmare of ours....ski tfc makes that even worse! However, my DS#1, who currently lives @ the mtn house, drives up & down I-70 btwn Dotsero & Silverthorne all day long in a 2 whl dr van! as a part of his job! & to answer your ?? Leslie - sorta! I "base" out of the mtn house while working the resort....which means I'm trying to have consecutive work days up there, where I just drive back & forth btwn Breck & the mtn house on work days. When off work, I'm back down in Littleton. Trying to be set up for life in both homes - only the mtn house has no internet...Breck has some free wifi spots which require me toting in my laptop & having "free time" & I can access (most days) via Blackberry...but it's a challenge to write much on that....more concerned w/ironing out the wrinkles for running....Hey! one of my new co-workers is a born-n-raised Arcata native!! She said to give ya a wave!! Wink Hope you get your stomach issues worked out....I'm still a big believer in Ginger! Nice runs Ev! Wink ....since you're having such nice weather, could you run a few for me...I'm missing like 25 miles this week...oh! & last week too Blush Joe: Doug says we should develop a "dogometer" to track mileage! ....could make some $$ Wink Huge Congrats on the 2000 btw!! mebbe you could help Ev get my mileage in...that way I could tell Mairead there are "doggie miles" happenin' Big grin I spent 15 hrs travel time going up to Hastings, NE & back yesterday/last night, to get some of the kids to bring back here for Christmas - Doug's daughter & her SO, who are legally blind, & their two little ones....we're really trying to have as big a housefull as possible! Would be the first time to have all of the grandkids here for Christmas (if DS#2's moody wife allows it! right now she's being difficult on all fronts! Angry) DS#1 will be dropping off Abby after the FB game today (I didn't get tickets to go watch Sad that I'll miss her performance, relieved that I'll miss sitting through 8* weather for a FB game! Tongue) Now, I have today & tomorrow off to try to get as much done as possible, before going back up to Breck to work Tues/Wed...& come skidding back down for Christmas stuff.... I hear a baby talking now....& I'm the only adult up! Wink Laters! Cindy
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group