Masters Running

Daylight Savings Sunday, 3.12.17 (Read 43 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Here is my question--and I am being serious, for a change--it seems that Jay went through a lot of pain to get fresh scallops...which he is going to divide up and eat over the next 4-5 months...in 4 to 5 months, will they still be "fresh"?

MikeE - if it's like for salmon, they'll just be "frozen."

They'd be "fresh-frozen" if jay had a commercial air blower blast freezer quickly freezing them to below zero, . . . unless they weren't that fresh in the first place when they were sold.

However, having similarly purchased at the docks during a sojourn at Woods Hole, I am pretty sure they were just harvested too. Lucky.

~5K St. Pat's Dash this morning.

Dry / 47F.

WRFB!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Yep, fresh frozen is the way to go. We like to buy the red salmon fillets from our local store that are still frozen in vacuum sealed packages. Normally they thaw them and sell them from the display case, but then you have to use them right away. So we ask for them still frozen when they're on special and have them in the freezer! Scallops are something we hardly ever get, they're a real treat when we do.

So, 3.4 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill at the rec center. Foot felt fine (yay!) but I can sure tell I've lost a lot of running fitness. Maybe it was just too warm in there. My face was bright pink when I was done with that little piddly run and it took a long time to stop sweating. Bleh. But, I ran and it went well. Woot! So, tomorrow will be back to the pool or the elliptical and I'll try the every-other-day thing this coming week.

spacityrunner

4.1 miles in the cool late afternoon sunshine.  Last June when I limped away from the Wild Rouge Relay, I promised myself I would take it easy this time around...no signing up for races, no long runs, just easy peasy short and breezy for at least a year, or longer if needed...and it has been hard to keep my promise, but its working.  I feel pretty good, and I'm not gonna screw it up now...Oh look, a race   No, I didn't.  Its getting harder and harder to keep my promise as I begin to feel better and better.

Trails Rock!

Mike E nearly any fish you buy is frozen on the boat when it is caught. (Commercial fishing boats can be on the water for days and even months!)  Retailers just thaw the fish out for display. Makes no sense. But people prefer to see it thawed as if that means never frozen. If it has never been frozen, it will typically say that.

Freezing fresh caught anything extends its shelf life at about zero cost to freshness, relative to the "fresh" stuff in the store. Every time you freeze meat the water in the cells expands and burst some of the cell walls. When you thaw out the meat, the water drains out leaving of the burst cells you with dried meat. The goal is to have as few freeze thaw cycles as possible prior to eating.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

My mom loved scallops and my dad would get them for her once in awhile when he felt they could afford it, especially as she got sicker.  Whoa to me and my brother if we even thought about tasting one. 

MikE - Also if you can like "seal-a-meal" foods before you freeze them, they retain more of their "freshness."

Bertha - Nutrition when trail running is so hard!

Jay - Good on you for taking the extra time with the newbie.

This year will be The Hub's and my 30th anniversary.  We're trying to figure out a special vacation and a budget for said vacation.  The fact we've made it this far is tantamount to a miracle!  (And I was a child bride, btw.)  Even though our anniversary's in August, we'll probably go in September or October.  Any suggests are much welcomed. 

About 30 min of core/ST.  Starting using the exercise ball for static double-legged bridges.  Also did some not-too-deep single legged static squatting (squat a small about a hold for about 20 seconds).

Appt tomorrow for a report of the MRI.  We'll see where we go from here.

It was beautiful here today . . . and I was stuck inside doing transcription.  My running buddy, Heidi, came over for dinner, so  The Hub was in his element cooking all afternoon.  Now I feel as full as a tick!

It's 8:00, though, and I'm ready to be done for the night.

See ya on the flip side ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

mmmmm scallops...

Henrun, spring is days away!! We must convince the temperatures!

Holly, a little jealousy up here in the blustery north.

I've been a wussy this last week. Near fatal man cold stuff. I was slated to help DD#3 and SIL install a new floor. They also had two licensed builders to help. I figured I'd be the grunt and maybe pick up a few tricks. SIL's dear Old Dad took the project over. He delivers snacks to grocery stores and is an expert on home repairs.

Cool...I'll take the dog out for a few miles. We parked and I let Tag pick the route. Normally I don't let him run down the middle of the road. Once in a while, we have to live on the edge.

He keeps it interesting.

If it were warmer, I'd have crossed the creek. I decided not to take a chance on the splash down.

8:00 PM DD#3 calls. They only got three rows of flooring down all day. The expert threw a fit, took his tools and went home. The walls are wrong. The original floor is wrong. The laminate flooring is wrong. Telling the two guys who install it on a regular basis to stay home wasn't a bad plan. Telling DW and I to stay home even though we've installed it wasn't a bad plan.

After DW and I were there for a while, my advice was to let some one else get a word in edgewise and stay out of the way.

DW dragged me out and I've been in the bad chair.

SteveP

Steve -    And love the pics.  Tag picked a nice route.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good runs all!

Taggy has good taste in trails.

Sad news here in Toronto today. Running icon Ed Whitlock passed away today of prostate cancer. He set a new record for 85+ year olds with a sub 4 hour time at the Toronto Scotiabank Marathon last fall. A humble and unassuming man, who will be missed by everyone he inspired.

Started a few basic physio exercises in advance of my first appointment on Wed.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Saw that about Ed Whitlock.  He's one of those people that I expected would live forever!  Sad....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth