Masters Running

Sunday, 3/31/2019; good-bye to March (Read 44 times)

Joe, congrats on a 200+ mile month!

I ran 20.9 miles today to end the month on a prime number, 173 miles. We're in central Utah at the San Rafael Swell, and I found a great single track trail along the rim of a canyon. Wonderful to escape the snow and run in shorts and tee shirt!   Taper time now - I have a 50k in 2 weeks!

San Rafael swell is one of my fav places! There's a few great camp spots out by Head of Sinbad. I had no idea there were any trails out there, we always just went in a direction overland.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

I get impatient and run too fast for it to be effective the way it's supposed to be. Often my longer runs are faster pace than my "middle" runs because I want to get them over with. It's an admission of failure to train correctly, not a humble-brag.

Yup, I know this problem. I have the hardest time (usually) doing "easy" runs because I just let my mind wander and my legs speed up. I have found that battling injuries and coming back from time off does a pretty good job of slowing me down. Not that I'm recommending that... 

Holly, probably smart to take that message and back off. It's so hard to do but you'll be glad you did it. We should all be so smart.

So I take it there's some basketball going on...

Nice run there, Carolyn! Where's your 50k?

Great job on the half marathons for Joe and Paul. You guys are doing great! Congrats on the first 200+ mile month, Joe. You are ready!

Leslie, I agree. The description of some of those long dry aged meats was pretty gross. And yes Twocat, that site says that wet aging is most common in commercial product, and it helps tenderness but not taste. Dry aging for up to 24 days seemed to be the best way to go.

Welcome back Anzlo! Hope you've figured out the issue. Digestive/gut problems are bad in anyone, but I think extra so in a runner!

Didn't get back to post yesterday but ran 9 miles from home to DH's office, then after I got cleaned up we went to a constituent forum at our old high school. Good to be involved, especially with the budget nightmare we're facing in this state. Oy. Then today I ran 5.3 miles in the sunshine and 50° that felt even warmer in the sun. Our snow is melting so fast. I saw a video that Perchcreek posted on FB of the "Paint Creek Trail" where he likes to run, and I think there's more snow there than here! DH even got his motorcycle out today and is out for a spin. He's never had her out in March before, usually mid to late April! This is a weird spring, for sure. Hope it doesn't mean a cold wet summer. Oddly enough, that's what usually follows warm early springs for us.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I really appreciate those who do the recaps.  I'll read through them and, sometimes, come across something and think, "How did I miss that?" and go back and read the original post.  I know it takes a lot of time.

Those were some pretty good games, this weekend.  I felt Duke was lucky to even be here after their last two games.  It would have been nice to have two Big10 teams in the final 4...oh, well.

I did 8 more miles, today.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Mariposai

Erika, interesting post on dry aged beef. To date I have had this delicious meal only twice. My first one at Twocat's home and then last night. Both times were a delightful experience.

RunnerKSA, during church today I thought of your daughter. We had a wise preacher delivering the sermon at our church. It was a great experience. Glad you had the chance to be there to witness first hand your daughter's ministtery.

Pfriese, nice half mari today.

Joe, impressive over 200 miler and you are ready for Boston! It has been fun to track your training!

Anslo, so AWESOME to see you back. We are ready to cheer you on!!!

Today the Easy Pacer, aka the Mountain Goat, took me on a wild hiking date just 10 miles away from our house. It was amazing to enjoy nature from his silviculturist lance.

In order to get to see the hill beyond the hill we had to hike up over 1,000ft elevation gain.

Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to more.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quickadder

Been keeping up with the forum but not posting much or running as much as I would like.

Started the weekend needing nearly 19 miles to keep up my 100 miles per month streak. 9.4 Saturday at 9:35 pace. Today was 20 degrees cooler and long run seemed the answer. I have the same problem as Surly Bill in that I run my long runs faster than I should. Today was 14.3 miles at 9:30 pace.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47