Masters Running

Thrilling Thursday Runs (Read 592 times)

Renee the dog

ETA You do truly learn something new every day. I just discovered the sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia is the scientific term for a "brain freeze." Feel free to dazzle your friends with that one the next time you're drinking frozen margaritas.

Just remember to talk about it before going too far into the margaritas...or else it might take awhile to say, and even longer to explain!

Sarge, sounds perfect with the shade! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sorry about all the whining yesterday.  I have no right to do that.  I won't do it again.

That's what we're here for, Enke! We all have days where we need a little extra TLC. You've had a lot of pretty substantial setbacks these past months. Sometimes you just need someone to  share them with.

I'll bet it's a little cooler in Saginaw than when you left this morning, Bill. Have a great weekend!

Slo - what's on the grill this weekend? I'm going to thaw a small turkey to cook on Saturday night, with grilled asparagus and some fresh green beans. Strawberry pie for dessert.  Anyone care to make their reservations now?

Wow Holly. You not only brought the hammer down, I think the concrete is shattered! Awesome workout this morning.

Deb - good luck getting your S/I joint back into place. Sorry you had a tough run this morning. Weather relief is coming soon!

Tom - sounds like some time in the pool is just what you need. I hope that the "stuff connected to your hips" feel better.

Mary - have fun in Gladwin. That sounds familiar. How far from your location? Don't forget to pack the marshmallows!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia is the scientific term for a "brain freeze."

If only I could pronounce it! 

{{{Enke}}} No apologies girlfren.   We are all pulling for you and you can rant anytime you feel like it.

Wow Holly - you were smokin'!    My legs ache just reading about your squats, etc. too.

JLynne - Gladwin is about an hour northwest of Saginaw.   The "other" side of the state. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

Hi all.

I'm on my way north to Bayshore.  Got up and caught an early flight - now on I-75; more or less by Saginaw.  Takes all day to get up there basically.

Nice job on those 12 x 1/2 mile repeats Holly! 

Bill

Probably too late now, but wave when you go by my exit off I-75 (which is 162). Midland is about 15 miles west from the exit.

Slo

Jlynne.....I did a small turkey about 45 days ago. It turned out awesome.  (right at 16 lbs) This weeks plans are pretty simple.....Ribeye's, Burgers, Fresh Veggies and the like. That strawberry pie sounds delicious.....My Grandma used to make a killer strawberry and Rubarb pie.

There are some great posts this a.m.

JLynne - Way to show those teenagers what's what.  They probably enjoyed it as much as you did.

Mary - I love the visual of you motoring around on your scooter.

Holly - Way to go on that workout, girlfriend!

Cranium -

Enke- We've all done our bit of moaning and groaning here.  It's allowed, and no one minds.  We all need a place to vent our frustrations from time to time.  So vent away, friend!  Vent away!

Slo- Sounds like you should consider wearing that flame retardant uniform this weekend.

I woke up this a.m. at 4:30 and felt like I was sleep walking.  So I fed the cats, started a load of laundry, then hit the couch for another 2 hours of snoozing.  I guess this past weekend's activities and late nights finally caught up with me.  I don't think we were in bed before 11:00 any night, and Saturday, it was well after midnight.  Cripes - I'm in bed by 9:00 every night regularly!

If I don't have much work this evening, I'll at least hit my home gym for a strength/core workout.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Got my 7 miles in.  Strangely I slowly sped up the first 3 miles (and the third mile has rolling hills with net uphill) so I don't get it.  That NEVER used to happen to me.  Legs just getting warmed up?  I think I beat my previous time on this route, not sure.  I picked it up for two of the last miles but couldn't hold on to that effort level and cheated and took a break.

IRC, 55, completely overcast, no rain, no wind, no complaints.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

71° clear and sunny, a little smoky off to the south but didn't bother me at all. Really nice day for a run. Came back all sweaty with bugs stuck to me. Heh.

5.56 miles, 8:03 avg pace, started in the 8:20 range and ended in the 7:30's. Stashed a water bottle at the bottom of the hill and sipped it on my way back to my office building (.6 mile) so had a nice cool down.

Tetsujin, most of the trail I ran on was deep in the woods so yes it was shady. The first and last mile (from and to my folks' house) was on the main road in the direct sun and a lot warmer. Beautiful night, though.

See Enke? Carpy days usually indicate good stuff to come. Nice when it works out that way.

Nice run, Holly. Always fun to see those bits starting with a 6, isn't it? But I sure can't see the point of 120 lunges. There is such a thing as diminishing returns on that sort of thing. My legs wouldn't speak to me for a week.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Beautiful night, though.

I only ran up there in the fall Equinox but I bet the trails are so beautiful with new green leaves on the birches.

Are they that white all year long?

ps - enjoy the night.  Pretty soon it'll be nuthin' but midnight sun

=====================

enki - I think you deserve a weekend prize pretty soon. 

ps - i know someone who needs another counter with him at the newport OysterWalk. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

So what do you do when your fanny pack rips open?  Buy a new one, so bright they will see you a mile away.

Now I just need recommendations on new shoes.  I'm in the stability category and recently I have tossed my Superfeet blue insoles and have not had any problems what so ever.  I used to wear Asics 2130's, but the 2140's were too tight across the toe box.  Anyone switch to a different brand but get the same comfort as Asics?  I also picked up Brooks Trance 8's off a clearance rack for 60 dollars, then found out the 10's retail for $140 - no wonder they feel so good and fast!  But I don't want to pay 140....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Now I just need recommendations on new shoes. 

I can guess Tet's response.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Forced myself to do my strength training when I got home.  Over an hour's worth.  My appendages are pleasantly tired.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Enke,

Just curious why you gave up the Superfeet insoles?

I am thinking of doing the same thing when I buy my next new pair of shoes. I started using Superfeet quite a few years ago when I was having Plantar troubles. I no longer have those issues but had a couple bad SFs over the winter. While talking with my doctor and learning about how our feet work especially the arch I learned that arch supports actually weaken the strength of your arch by pushing up when all the strength comes from the downward pressure on the arch. While the xtra support helped heal my Plantar issues I am thinking now it may have contributed to my stress fractures. I have no real proof of that but  when your injured you have to blame something.  

Also if  I am running in a good stability shoe anyway ( Brooks Adrenalin) then I am already paying the big bucks for the support that is egineered into the shoe. 

Now that I have decided to do this I hope I don't get back my Plantar problems.  Hey I guess we are all an experiment of one.

Oh ya 3 miles slow pace

Still just happy to be runnin and postin again.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hallar, I just decided not to put them in my new shoes $$ (they are still in my old shoes because my feet have formed them).  I have been back up and running now for about 4 months and no pain in my tibia (SF-like pain) since - which is what the insoles cured the first time.  I just think my feet and ankles are stronger now than they were 3 years ago, or my gait has improved.  If I start getting that ache in lower inside tibia I will wear them again.