Masters Running

Saturday before "Sandy". 27 October, 2012 (Read 363 times)

coastwalker

Howdy!

Today's Great Bay 5K in Stratham, NH went very well: We had about 1,125 people registered (our highest in the 14 years we've held the race), with 956 finishers. The winning times were 15:02 and 17:04 (neither were course records). We usually have cold/wet/cloudy/blustery weather, but this year, in advance of Sandy, we had a gorgeous morning with temps in the mid-50s, sun, and little wind. There, of course were some glitches, but they were relatively minor, and overall everyone seemed to have a good morning. It always amazes me that we spend 9 months planning this race, that race day is a blur, and that with a 9am start, we are done and cleaned up by noon, with no signs of a good-sized road race to be found.

Now that that's done, I have to start thinking about what time to leave and what to wear for tomorrow's half marathon. There's always something...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good luck on your Half Jay.

Tamster, you half maniac! great racing for you!

Great to see the trouble maker Spareribs back Wink.

6 miles of hills for me. I am happy to say that I can run up my nemesis Kermel grade 3' faster now. I guess I am getting stronger.

The last rose from my garden for my East Coast friends. I sure don't look like what I am readying about Sandy.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

aka FlyingFinn

Hi everyone.

I hope Sandy doesn't cause too much trouble.

I sure am happy to have shared the crispy chickpea recipe. I will not take credit for it.  Our dear friend Sans Souci shared the recipe with me. She is such a good cook. I sent her a recipe for kale and onion pie, and told her I didn't like the crust very much.  Still she is going to try it. Then she sent me this wonderful recipe. I ate half the batch standing next to the stove before they even had a chance to leave the pan. And...there is a sweet version with cinnamon. You can be sure I will be trying that!

Holly, what everyone else said about you setting a good example, I agree with, and SteveP said it perfectly. I would add that I am so impressed by how you are able to juggle family responsibilities and a career and training for marathons. This goes for all the younger people here who still have kids at home. I didn't run marathons, or have a career, when my kids were young. I don't know how you do it. Or how those of you who travel manage to fit in training while on the road. It can't be easy.

Congratulations on a well planned event, Jay. Good luck tomorrow!

It was a really nice day here. This morning it was pouring buckets so I decided to stay in bed and read my book, and DH brought me coffee and breakfast in bed. He doesn't even drink coffee. We have a percolator and it turned out really strong. Then Jocelyn came for a visit, her first to our house. I got to rock her in the same chair that I rocked our three kids in. Then I went for a hilly 6 mile run. I felt really sproinky, even though it took me 1:07. That is about the same pace I used to run the hills when I used to wear a Garmin, when I used to be in shape, so pretty good I'd say. Then DH took me out to dinner...scallops on skewers and one martini and one limoncello, and we still have oatmeal cookies here at home leftover from last night. Sweet. And Spareribs loves me? Awesomeness. I love him, too. Wink

eta: That is a beautiful rose, Mari

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

wildchild

Carolyn

Paavo, I'll have to try that chickpea recipe sometime!  I don't have any chickpeas in the house, or I'd try it tonight.  (I don't exactly live close enough to a store to go get some before dinner!)

Nice racing for Tammy and David, Ribs, Opie, and all of Jay's racers today.  Jay, good luck at the half tomorrow!

Tramps, sounds like you had fun in NOLA.  Coincidentally, my sister was there this week too - I don't suppose you ran into her?  I guess you might have, and didn't know it.

Leslie, hope you have fun tearing up the town with your gang of loose women!  

Nice 20 miler, Holly!  I've never had a Kahlua/vodka chocolate pudding shot, but it sounds interesting.  Anything with chocolate pudding and oreos sounds good!  What's your costume?

I ran a 13.7 mile loop trail in Centennial Cone park today.   It was cold, overcast, and windy at the start, and I really didn't much want to run, but the sun came out and the wind wasn't too bad in the sheltered parts, and it turned out to be a pretty good run after all.   The snow wasn't too deep, but it's definitely winter here.  I got a really weird comment from a lady hiking the other way:  "Are you on a track team or something?  I keep seeing runners go by."  I guess the other runners were ahead of me, going the same way around the loop, because I never saw them.   But do I LOOK like I could be on a track team?     Like a team for slow, middle aged trail runners?  Joking

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Tom White, I used to cycle all winter (with Fred Flintstone) except when the trails were soft and the wheels sunk up to the axle or it was so cold, the chain would freeze up while pedaling. Disconnect the front brake at least. Even in my reckless days, it was a long way down.

Don't get me going about smoking...many states enforce seat belt usage because we're not smart enough to make wise choices, but we can buy tobacco because we're old enough to choose for ourselves...I mean tobacco taxes pay lots of revenue. 

Sweet marj.

Holly, we've made lighter colored pudding with crumbled oreos on top, but drew monster faces on the glasses. I like the worm idea.

Welcome Willamona. Jump in the water is fine.

Love David's 5K. Speedy guy. Good pace on your half mary.

Holy speed freaks Jay. Wow.

Gotta love your DH Paavo. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Wildchild, you look like a star. Track or otherwise.

I got the racing clothes out and less than a minute later, DW lets Tag out of our room. He made sure she was up. On race days I really need to get him up earlier.

Noah, Tag and I did the local Zombie Run 5K while DW, SIL and Honey cheered. There were over 1,000 registered participants and 100% in costume. I could not believe it.  We saw a male Zombie nun, Zombie Statue of Liberty with a torch in one hand and brains in the other. A Zombie cow and turkey. Zombie mariachi(sp) band. A large black dog with a white stripe down it's back. Even a Zombie Butterfly Princess.  IRC for late October. Tag was trying very hard to restrain himself at the start of the race. We kept way in the back. He helped sing the "Star Spangled Banner". When we got him calmed down again, he was sitting, but nearly having convulsions in restrained anticipation. I said, "On your Mark!", and he just began howling while DW chastised me. When the race started we head towards the starting line and at the last moment, we stopped. It took nearly three minutes to get to the line. Since it was a chip timed race, we held back until the crown thinned. Still lots of walkers started in the front. Sheesh.  The many of the earbud people could not hear passing warnings.

Noah wanted to go as Zombie Pizza, but his Dad thought the jogger would wreck the costume. Noah called himself "Track Fast the Zombie". I love Track Fast.

I'm wearing a Zombie Batman Shirt. The jogger has ghost garland, ghost flashing lights that scream when a button is pushed and Batman lights.

When Noah finally, got out of the jogger, he showed everyone how a zombie walks. Kind of like the "Creeper" from Scooby Doo. Then raised his arms and chased people. Then hopped like a Zombie Frog. "Noah!! This is a race!!" Then we ran!

The little booger beat me too.

I had to ditch the mask. With make up and glasses and a dog and a kid, there were too many distractions to be safe with the young man.

Clock time was 38 and some change. Watch time was 32:27.

DW and I went to lunch a craft show and the newly wed's (DD#3) for dinner. They're so happy right now it made me teary eyed. It's not a house they live in, but a home.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

today was my lake club's "Double Trouble" race(s).  You can run a 5K and a 10K right after, so i did both and the plan was to run them at tempo pace, or 8:40's for me.  I hit the splits right on the money, and because there were so many races in the DFW area today, I won my AG in both. Sweet day.

Nicely done!

Tammy – 3 HMs in 5 weeks – excellent!

Mariposai – I hope you are enjoying your weekend! What chick flick did you watch?  I love your beautiful rose….

Wildchild – yes, you look like a track team runner to me…

Go Zombie Batman and Track Fast the Zombie!

Count me in as another who will be roasting some chckpeas today, that sounds yummy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I found out something about training at Satureday’s Carkeek 12-hour Run near Seattle.  According to the web page, with two big hills overlooking Puget Sound with a combined total elevation 400' for each of the 2-mile loops around the park (and only two little, short flat stretches of about 1/4 mile between the hills), it’s the “hardest 12-hour out there. PERIOD.”

In fact, everybody except the very elite seem to slip 20-25% compared to regular 12 hour events so I panicked and trained for it the first time by running a marathon that morning in Tokyo to make sure I was in shape for the challenge when I got across the International Date Line the same day.  I was, but it still took 9:15 just to get to the marathon distance. 
                This year, I decided to compare the with-training one to not having run any this time since a 6:05 in the fall edition of the Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon on September 16.   It took 10hr/15 minutes to get to the marathon distance this time.  Maybe training isn’t so bad after all.
                It was all worthwhile though as I got to see francesca as she lapped me four times on the big hills as if I were standing still.  Oh, I was. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I panicked and trained for it the first time by running a marathon that morning in Tokyo to make sure I was in shape for the challenge when I got across the International Date Line the same day.  I was, but it still took 9:15 just to get to the marathon distance. 
                  This year, I decided to compare the with-training one to not having run any this time since a 6:05 in the fall edition of the Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon on September 16.   It took 10hr/15 minutes to get to the marathon distance this time.  Maybe training isn’t so bad after all.

Wow! And, well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."