Masters Running

Sunday, 1.22.17 (Read 39 times)

Mariposai

Way to fit in that 20 miler, Holly. I hope the issue with DD's posting gets resolved soon. I agree.

Tamster, glad to hear that your snow is melting down. We did get a lot snow in the mountains today. It has been raining all day in the valley.

8 miles of snowshoing/running for me. I learned that I can run on my snowshoes. It was a lot of work, but fun.

Off to watch hidden figures in a few moments.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Erika - I am curious - What is your "cut off" temperature for running outside?

Holly, your DD sure knows how to make your life full, eh?

Mariposai, 8 miles of showshoeing/running sounds hard!

I went out in a new pair of runners that I bought on-line.  They are stiffer than my usual model, but I liked them ok.  Only did 3 miles.  Lost my running mojo last week, but trying to find it again.  Run was nice, as the temps are mild now and no wind.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Well, I'm sure Enke would agree, and thanks! 

me too as I thought it was quite appropriate but for henrun/lori too

with their north-of-the-border perspectives.

Holly - double jeesh.

maybe go buy a half dozen packages of vanilla oreos

to bolster DD (and everyone elses') knowledge that it had

nothing to do with color and she can say that "color had nothing

to do with it; in fact, the only oreos I've eaten since (____) /

in the last ___ (years)(months) have been the vanilla ones.

posie - wow!  eight miles snow-shoeing, especially running,

and on zero snow-shoeing base, would make me more tired

that after a hundred running miles.  Maybe forget about needing

any running training for your next marathon.  If fact, after an active

season of winter sports, maybe give a marathon a try on your ski / snow-

shoe legs as we used to do too in those days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. I hope the school officials realize that the cookie post and race had nothing to do with each other. That said, Miss Manners would not have approved of the post anyway. Social media + adolescence = bad idea.

SteveP did you run in the rain yesterday? From your post I actually have no idea. Rain talk, then good running snow covered surface talk. One does not go with the other.

Mariposai and wildchild "No running in the rain!"© pfriese and TammyinGP lousy running conditions, but so long as it was not raining you are in the clear. Running rule book, section 1, paragraph 2.

rochrunner same here on the coast. Total fog out.

Tramps some running days are better than others. What can you do?

Henrun Florida sounds soooo good! Tomorrow I start my teaching semester. Want to trade? No. 

Dave59 good enough reason.

coastwalker well, well a salt store! I would never have thought such a thing could exist. At least exist and turn a profit.

BerthaSlayer deer may look cute but in my neck of the woods, ahm, they are a huge problem. We need a lot fewer of them. Right now their population is destroying the oak population and with it starving out the other critters that depend on acorns to survive the winter.

spinach start of a semester is something I can certainly relate to!

evanflein where you are the TM versus outside call always seems pretty easy to me! I have no idea how you survive the winters.

C-R nice that the achilles is not acting up.

You know that training stuff? I hate to say it, but it really works. Yes, if you take 6 weeks off from running then have as your longest run after starting up again at 10 miles (once) and then run a 15K with no speed work under your belt, you will not run it very fast. I know deep. Eh? Well, that was my race day. I finished dead smack in the middle of my AG, 32 out of 64. Just barely managed to get in under an 8 minute mile. Well, you have to start somewhere. I think I will start with a drink and go to bed in a few minutes. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jay--I stretch and do a little foam rolling after every run.  I also mix in strength exercises pretty regularly.

I went 6 more miles, today, to make 44 miles for the week.  This is my biggest week since I injured my hamstring in July last year.

I booked a flight for Debbie and me to Denver and we'll drive to Shiprock, New Mexico.  Flights were $398 to Albuquerque for one person and I would have to drive about 4 hours to Shiprock.  We got a flight to Denver for $297 for two people and the drive is about 7 hours to Shiprock.  So--Debbie is coming along for a little vacation.

I feel bad about the Packers' game...I really do.  As much as I like to say that I hate the Packers, I have so many friends who love them as much as I love the Vikings, so I feel bad for them.  Falcons and Patriots...well...I have to go with the NFC...go Falcons!

Okay--I'd better get to bed.  I sent off another resume to another company, yesterday...but I still have to go to my current job in the morning.  See ya!

evanflein

Erika - I am curious - What is your "cut off" temperature for running outside?

It really depends on other conditions, like are the paths plowed? Are there air quality warnings? Normally, I'd have ventured out yesterday at -16° but the path I wanted to run on was still under several inches of drifted snow. So, treadmill it was. I've run over 12 miles in -27° and actually was fine, but that was a few years ago; I don't have that endurance now.

Today I ran 17.1 miles on the treadmill. That was almost as much an effort of determination as running in the cold, just fewer clothes.

SteveP

Tramps, I'm sorry about the tough run.

Henrun, I'm glad to hear you'er getting out there.

Jay, being a dog in our house hold may not be all you'd hope. I've embarrassed ours more than one.

Yay Spinach!!!!

Erika, Once Honey gets off the leash, your plans for the rest of the day change.

Holly...Shaking My Head. 2005 miles burns a lot of stress.

Two Cat, we did run in the rain on Saturday!!

Erika, you make freezing your tail off look cute.

The roads here were too sloppy for wanting to take dogs out in them, so we hit the trails. I threw on a pair of snowshoes. Tag, Mia and I got 5.5 miles in.

We can find the darnedest things in the middle of a forest.

It turned out to be a trail marker from goodness knows when.

SteveP