Masters Running

Windy Wednesday 01/06/16 (Read 34 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

The Casper marathon is June 5, and it's paved and mostly flat.  The Wyoming marathon is May 29, and is mostly dirt, and hilly.  You all know which one I'd vote for!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Have fun in Wyoming - whichever you choose

I waited until 10ish to go out and it was in the 20's.  Had a lovely 1.5 hour run along the Charles, but when I went to get on the T, I had lost my pass.  Fortunately Henry rescued my as I didn't want to run 3 more miles to get home.  However, I then biked the route, but didn't find it.  2+ hours of exercise was far more then I planned on.

moebo

Leslie, I had similar sleep issues for quite a while before I hit menopause (at age 47). My doctor put me on HRT (I knw it's controversial, but we considered all of the pros and cons) and the problems diminished considerably. Now I'm 51 and dreading the day when I will have to stop taking the hormones...

I was planning to go out this morning, but last night before bed BF asked (very sweetly) if I would please stay inside so I could come wake him up at a time when I would normally still be out running. So I made that sacrifice (!) and stayed away from the frigid cold today.

4 sweaty treadmill miles--not bad, but looking forward to going outside tomorrow!

Sayhey! MM#130

The Casper marathon is June 5, and it's paved and mostly flat.  The Wyoming marathon is May 29, and is mostly dirt, and hilly.  You all know which one I'd vote for!

....notice how she conveniently omits the amount of elevation change (and what the elevation is at the start) of the Wyoming Marathon.  When I finished, and saw the ultra folks headed out for lap 2 of the marathon course (yup, the ultra is 52.4 miles), I was just agog, as I could not imagine covering that course again!  Amazing!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, I said the WY marathon is hilly, didn't I?     And windy.  Did I mention windy?

I was also amazed at the folks heading out for their second lap when I was finishing my first.  But it was my first marathon, and I'd never run a 50 miler before.   I think the ultra option is now a 50k -  you just run a little further before you turn around.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Moebo - I've been on HRT for about 3+ years, which helped the ungodly hot flashes and mood swings I was having.  Unfortunately, didn't do anything for the sleep side of things.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Can I just quickly say that, if wildchild invites you to stay at her place, you should stay at her place...no matter what marathon you're doing.

Oh...and one more thing...yes, Wyoming is windy.  I honestly thought my bib was going to be ripped right off my shirt.

I did 6 miles, tonight.

Okay--that's it--I have to go pack.  See ya!

Leslie--Be careful with Ambien!  Makes some people do bizarre things!    Sometimes I get DH to read to me when I can't sleep.  He's usually reading some very dry book about the history of flight or space or wars (he'd prolly like the one you're into, tw).  Puts me right out.  Get some really dull book on CD??

Leslie, I too take 5mg of Ambien every night.  I still don't stay asleep all night but find if I use my Cpap it is definitely better and only wake up once. I just hate using it.  I bought a Garmin vivofit and have been looking at the sleep data. Pretty interesting. Now will experiment with & without the Cpap to see the difference in the graphs, etc.

I guess the Ambien does make you do bizarre things.... I signed up for two half marathons in the past two days! Green Bay and Portland, here I come!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Woot! Starr is running Green Bay with us! Yay!

By the way.... the latest issue of Consumer Reports has a cover story on Sleep. They have an article on sleep medications, and how really the side effects aren't worth the benefits, which in most cases aren't much better than placebos. I know a lot of people who take Melatonin (us, included) and it's really not as harmless as people think it is. Good food for thought. I struggle with night sweats, but refuse to take HRT. So, I just am dealing with it.

When I saw the forecast earlier this week I figured today would be a good day to hit the treadmill. As is so often the case, the forecast wasn't really accurate as it was quite a bit warmer than indicated earlier. But, I decided I'd do intervals and that's hard to do out in the frosty snowpack and icy stuff we have out there. So.....

8.5 miles total, with warm up miles of 8:42 and 8:34, then 5 x .5 mile @ 7:52 with .25 mile recoveries @ 8:34, then 3 x .2 mile @ 7:30 with .2 mile recoveries @ 8:34, then 1.5 miles @ 8:34 to finish. Good workout, glad I did it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm with RCG about why I don't watch much of anything anymore.

Her name: Amanda Russell.   RIP.

If it's anything like the PNW Amanda is not the only runner, cyclist, etc. killed in training for something or even while doing it and who will never get in the results.  It's too bad Boston and others can't list their names somewhere officially for their own posterity.

I've never trained and I neve. . ., I mean, I've never taken a sleeping pill and I never will.

However, I'm lucky to be able to pretty much fall asleep at the drop of a hat, start of an airplane engine, lecture, meeting, or most anything else.  Otherwise, I'll try to recite some poem memorized in those distant days in the past, . . and never get past a couple of stanza before falling asleep.  Re-running favorite marathon course also help, also trying to remember what I was going to say the next day if I had a talk to give.  Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

About Amanda Russell - Paul Levy wrote about her & has some pictures in his blog:

http://runningahospital.blogspot.com/2015/12/in-memoriam-amanda-turner-russell.html

Marathon Maniac #957

I guess the Ambien does make you do bizarre things.... I signed up for two half marathons in the past two days! Green Bay and Portland, here I come!

Woohoo!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."