Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING GROUP w/e 06/27 (Read 469 times)

Point to Ponder:  If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Have a good week, friends -

Erika - 43.7 miles run, 1.2 miles walking and a 10k PR race

Dutchie -38 km running, 13 km biking, upper body-1x, lower body-1x, abs-1x

Tsunami -

Eliza -

prfriese -38.8 miles running + sailing

Shadowrunner -

Stumpy - 17.84 miles running + lots of lifting and walking for Relay for Life

fatozzig - 13.05 road miles, 21.5 trail miles, 30 min stationary biking, 2:20 hrs core/strength, 3+ hrs yard work

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mon - Rest

Tues - 3 or 30; core/strength ----------------------------- 30 min; 50 min core/upper body strengthening

Wed - Travel to Squaw Valley for Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run - Crewing for KateMD

Thurs - Hoping for 10

Fri - Hoping for 10

Sat - WS begins

Sun - WS

Totals:

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dutchie42

Good morning Leslie, must be late evening where you are. Thanks for starting us up for the week again. Sounds like you're going to have a fun week Leslie

Mon: 30min UB endurance + abs + 3K doggie/recovery run (X-training day)

I'm off to a good start: 30 min UB endurance plus abs, followed by a 3K doggie run. My R-lower calf was very tight and I had to stop and stretch like every 500 meters or so. Must be my slowest recovery run ever! Then added on 25 min of LB strength. My legs feel very nice now. Not tight at all. 

Plus a 13K bike commute.

Tue: 5.5K easy + 30 min LB endurance

Beautiful morning: sunny, bit chilly, but great for running. Spooky and I did a nice 5.5 kilometer out&back run. 

1st half = 20:41 min
        2nd half = 19:08 min, incl. a 1 min walk break for a fructose tablet and water
        Legs felt good, running was great, especially in the 2nd half. 

Added on a 20 min LB endurance w/o (no warm up, but incl. a short stretch). Nice

Finished the day with a 13K bike commute. I was all dizzy when I stepped of the bike after I got home from work again and my legs felt like jello.

Wed: 8.8K easy + 30min UB endurance + abs (if time permits)

Gorgeous morning. Great 8.5 kilometer out&back run, not easy to maintain pace, but great!
        1st half  = 30:21 min
        2nd half = 29:48, incl 1 minute walk break at the turning point for water
        Pleased that even in a longer out&back run, I'm slightly faster on the way back. 

And a 13K bike commute again.

Thu: 5.5K easy + 30min LB endurance/plyo training

Very difficult to move my legs forward today. Lower calfs were tight. Had to stretch a lot. Didn't feel fit at all: lots of walk breaks. Guess I should've had a proper dinner yesterday. But I did finish the whole 5.8 kilometers of it.

Wasn't sure I should do the 30 min LB, but did it anyway. Didn't have much umph in my legs for all the jumping of the plyo exercises.

Fri: 30min UB endurance + abs + 20min Hiit training + 3K doggie run (X-training day)

Today I did a strength based UB w/o instead of the scheduled endurance based UB w/o. I did a slow&heavy w/o: 3 sets of 8 reps with a 2/6 count and 1 minute rests inbetween sets back (21min) and shoulders (26min).And a 10 min ab w/o.

My legs definitely needed a rest today. Eating crappy food all week has a price. Anyways, I already had 7 consecutive days of running, which is the most I've done this year. So all is well.

Sat: 5.5K easy run

Today I took the doggies out for a 5.9 kilometer easy run. I picked an out and back route. Spike was on his best behaviour on the way out, but as soon as I turned round at mid point, he decided it was time for a lot of sniffing and digging and running away. It was meant to be an easy run, but the second half definitely turned into a doggie run. I was so annoyed after having to go and fetch him for the umptieth time, that I put him on leash.

I added on a 47 minute slow&heavy triceps and biceps w/o (2/6 count with 1 minute rests inbetween sets). And ofcourse a 10 min ab w/o partly with light weights.

Oh I forgot, I also did 3x4 pushups (2/2 count).

Sun: 2 hour long run + yoga/long stretch

I'm gonna try and build my long run based on time running, instead of distance. Last week my 15.58K long run took me 1h55 min. So I'm now gonna try for 2hrs (1hr out, 1 hr back) and see how many kilometers I've run. I'll stick with the two hrs, till I get faster and comfortable at that distance.

Fantastic 2h02 or 16.92 kilometer long run this morning. Felt "easy". I was faster than I was last week. So that's good, and my legs didn't feel tired at all. I had the usual breaks for the leash and for letting Spooky splash around in the streams 4x, taking the opportunity to have a sip of water myself each time. I did an out&back route again. Easier when you run by time, and not distance.

1st half = 1:01:04 / 7:14 pace = 8.46 kilometers

2nd half = 1:01:19 / 7:14 pace = 8.46 kilometers

It's weird, but the 1st half I felt like I was running slow, and the 2nd half I felt like I was running too fast. But apparently, I maintained the same pace.

Total running mileage:45.6 kilometers

Total biking mileage:39 kilometers of leisurely biking (to and from work)

LB: 2x

UB:3x

Abs:3x

Other:nothing

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Sounds like a good plan on building up your miles,  Dutchie.  When you get a nice base under you, work on miles instead of time, i.e., plan for 8 miles, and don't worry about how long it takes you to run the 8 miles.  You will find that time of your feet in  miles - or in your case kilometers - is what's going to help you build a solid base.

Um, re the time - I'm posting this at 8:47 Pacific Standard Time in California.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dutchie42

Um, re the time - I'm posting this at 8:47 Pacific Standard Time in California.

So there's 9 hours between you and me. Good night and don't let the bed bugs bite then

Thanks Leslie, yes I will revert back to distance once I've got my base back.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

evanflein

You mean Pacific Daylight Time, right?

Thanks, Leslie, and good point to ponder. Sort of along the lines of "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around, does it still make a sound?" (the answer is yes, just because you're not there to hear it, the world does go on...)

Monday: 4 miles on the elliptical (32:00), .25 mile walk and 20 minutes weights and abs

Tuesday: 6.6 miles run at lunchtime (8:12 avg), hot and sweaty! .4 mile walk c/d... didn't help much

Wednesday: 10.1 miles (8:08 avg), 78° and very low humidity (22%), .4 mile walk

Thursday: 6.6 miles, easy for this route (8:12), then .33 walk c/d. Another hot sweaty day. I love it!

Friday: I think it's time for a rest day. I'm tired.

Saturday: 8.3 miles on rolling hills (8:10 avg), .3 mile walk

Sunday:  16.5 miles (8:16 avg pace), .4 mile walk

Totals: 47.7 miles run, 2.1 miles walked, 4 miles elliptical and one time weights/abs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Erika--unless you take the teenager's view of "If it didn't matter to me, it doesn't exist"

Don't know if you're actually supposed to taper for a half, but I'm doing it all in one week.

Mon:  Yoga.  Done

Tues:  3-4 miles EZ.  3.8 in 37 minutes.  guess it was somewhat easy, but I sure sweated a lot.

Wed:  Something to keep loose, but not too strenuous.  Did a fair amount of walking in 95+ in NC

Thur:  2 miles extra EZ.  Same sort of thing, with a plane ride at the end of the day.   

Fri:  rest.  maybe take a walk around when I get to Miane

Sat:  Rail Trail Half.  done.  slowly.

Sun:  Recovery.  recovery felt a lot like a rest day.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

You mean Pacific Daylight Time, right?

You would be correct!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

pfriese

Thanks Leslie.

M - 14.5 miles
                    T - 6.8 miles
                    W - 0 miles
                    Th - 0 miles
                    F - 12 miles
                    Sa - 14.5 miles
                    Su - 5.6 miles

Paul

No runs for tsunami. Still recovering from leg injury (reinjury). Will be out there soon.

Two swims of about 3/4 mile. Getting better. But still slow.

Hello to my pals. Good luck Kevin.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hey Leslie.  Thanks for starting us off.  Late posting here but just got back from Florida/cruise to Bahamas 

M- SRD  - Travel from Orlando to Miami.

T - Half hour of free weights, 3.43 miles on Norwegian Sky running deck; 8:11 pace.  Temps in mid to high 80's and humid.  Beach swim later in day.

W - Half hour of free weights; 4:14 miles on Norwegian Sky running deck; 8:16 pace. Temps in mid to high 80's and humid.  Beach swim later in day.

R - Half hour of free weights; 4:14 miles on Norwegian Sky running deck; 8:20 pace, Temps in mid to high 80's and humid.  Beach swim later in day.

F - SRD travel home.

Sa - Long shirtless run this afternoon.  Temps in low 90's but still managed to do 12.5 miles.  Pace was slower than expected on return run so ended up doing 9:02 min mile overall. 

Su - SRD

totals for week: 24.3 miles running, 1.5 hours of free weights. 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum