Masters Running

Sunday blue skies, runs and other good stuff (Read 387 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ohayo gozaimasu fanci/enke/all,

SATURDAY - Having recovered from the Boomer mini-reunion with Mrs. three-hours-of-sleep-is-plenty Butterfly (thanks for the photos of you and your new coach in the seattle thread) and divechief (however, sorry missed erika darn it) but with Mr. Knee not wanting to do five or six hours of pounding, thigh-thrashing descents off Corral Pass and SunTop Mountain in saturday's White River 50 Mile Endurance Run, I returned to the Torchlight Parade 8K for the first time in three years and was just starting at 6:30pm when WR would have been in its same last five miles.  It's one of Divechief's favorite events (his first some years ago, I think) but he's down south for the San Francisco Marathon this weekend.  Missed you supergod of supergods.

SUNDAY - was going to pass on the Swedish SummeRun 10K with its daunting1.2 mile ascent at mile 3 but ran into Iron-Judy and Duathlon-Sylvia at the Torchlight and found out they were doing the Swedish 10K too for a three-event weekend after their respective triathlon and century bike rides saturday morning.  they both beat me but I successfully ran all the way up the 7K of Swedish hills, albeit slower than some of the walkers.  Ya shoulda been there with me enke.

Nevertheless, with open slots still available for 8K and 10K, hope for some good times with ilene when the results are posted.

ps - Mr. Pink was going to SF too.  tell him I still have pink pens, pink towels, etc. awaitin'. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Yesterday I made myself proud by actually running (but very slowly) about 5K on my local bike path.  First time! Not official, or course, and done partly as a spin off of my C25K routine.  Big bragger that I am. 

Here is a quote from onomatopoeia  from the C25 K forum that cracks me up!  " On a weird note, we shared the bike path this morning with a guy who was harnessed to a hand-cart and pulling a rather large woman in the back, who was reading aloud to him.  For once I wasn't the strangest person out on the path!  Hell, a heavily tattooed chick with facial piercings and pinkish-red hair might even be normal!"

Woods Lady

Mariposai

Where’s Stevie Ray?

He is enjoying the Sun in San Francisco. Finished his marathon at 3:47! One strong runner that Stevie Ray is!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, it's fun to see what SR is up to all the time!

Tomorrow I'm taking DS to meet Amherst's coach, Erik Nedeau.  He was the first runner from Maine to break the 4:00 mile - 3:57.  It will be an honor to meet him!  I can tell he's a "detail" guy, because he looked at the school's tour schedule and suggested when we should come during the day.

Another rainy day in Maine.  We've gotten over 16 inches of rain since June 1, 10 inches more than normal.  Just on Friday, we got 2.2 inches, a record for the day.  I still need to get out for a few miles.

runningindc, it sounds like you had a great 5K.  Congrats.  nono, sorry to hear your little one (and therefore you) had a tough night.  I hope things are better.  Sarge, nice run with your wife and daughter.

Nice long runs for breger, fatozzig (trails), SLO, PDR, holly, CNY, mariposai, WRFB, and Franc.

This morning, I did a 20K race.  It is one I've done before and generally like.  It's 4 laps of a 5K out and back.  There's also a marathon, 5K and 20K but the marathon is a different course and the 5K & 10K start after most of the 20K people are done.  I like seeing the same people over and over.  Strangers turn into friends.  It may have been my worst race ever but I enjoyed seeing some old friends and talking with several people who I hadn't met before.  They included a lady from TX who was running her 40th marathon (in something like 3:2x) and a man and his daughter in the 20K who buy their shoes at the store where my daughter works part time.  From the start, I new it was going to be slow and tough, I just didn't have much pep.  I needed a bathroom break in the second lap and in the 3rd lap I missed a turn (was totally brain dead) and added a couple of tenths of a mile.  Prior to today, I've done 3 20Ks and 4 halfs without any walking.  Today, my legs got so "dead" that I took several walk breaks.  That bummed me out but I still had a good time with my old and new friends.  It took me 2:04 plus a few second for a 10 min average pace.  My Garmin had me at a 9:46 pace for 12.7 miles.  I was 14/16 OA and 1/1 in my AG.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Congrats on 1st AG Tom ;^)

Walked 2 miles with dogs and ran 2 miles in 16:07 this morning and no knee pain!

Great Tour de France this year. But next year.... Lance vs Contador

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

spacityrunner

20 min of swimming at 9 a.m.

3 hours of OT

1 hour nap

4 miles in 48 min at 6:30 p.m.  it was hot and drippy but I wanted to beat the bugs...

WoodsLady I am proud of you too...

Trails Rock!

Renee the dog

Well done tselbs!

Our plan to have me run on the beach while Bayside and the kids played got rained out.  Big rain. So as the storm started to go out to sea, I grabbed Renee and did 2 mi with her, then dropped her off and did another 4 1/4 mi. by myself.  I had blown off my fartlek run this week, so when I went out with Renee, we just did some crazy running through puddles and letting the heels fly!  We both had a blast.

It was quite an eventful run -- seagull nailed me within the first 1/3 mi.  Rain, sun, lightning, wind...and a 1/2 rainbow! 

Have a good night everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good job, Tom S.