Masters Running

Lumberjack 10 Mile -- RR (Read 195 times)

HermosaBoy

Should we call this one sourgrapes??? Came into this hoping to improve on last year's time by about a minute -- cut to the chase, Uh not going to happen!!! Execution for the first two miles was excellent. Mile 3 was OK. Miles 4 through 7 -- UGH!!! Was hoping to average 5:45s for the race with the first 3 miles being a bit faster due to being predominantly downhill. Mile 1 was 5:30, Mile 2, 5:38 and Mile 3 was 5:44. This puts me 23 seconds ahead of goal heading into the 2 miles of rolling hills. Last year Mile 3 was 5:38 -- I think this is when I started to sense this was not going to be my day. At that point, I think I was in 8th place overall. From this point on led to probably my worst race result ever!!! I would have put quality as a 1, but I did get out well the first few miles. Then the wheels fell off. Got a side stitch right on my rib during mile 4 and there was NOTHING I could do to shake it. Tried switching my breathing pattern, breathing on a different foot, longer breathes, shorter breathes, walking and even stopped and cursed. Nothing could shake it. The death marched started and I think my fastest mile the rest of the way was 6:14. I ended up running 4:10 slower than last year. I did hang on to finish 32 OA and 3rd in my AG. But I will need to work on my bruised psyche after this one. Pretty disappointed, but better to blow up now than in Houston! Chalk it up to a less than stellar recent training cycle and start ramping the miles up. I guess we can't always be in peak racing shape. Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveP

Unfortunatly, not all races bring out the best in us. You hung in there and that's more than many would have done. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Aw Hermosaboy! Take heart and you are right---far better to have this occur here and not in Houston (your next marathon?) When I hit a peak in the racing cycle and the PRs are rolling, I want to extend the powerful feeling as long as possible. There are limits though and the yucky races make us hungry for the next ones? (typing this to convince myself too you realize). You got through it and will no doubt hit the stride you need for the next set of races. Thanks for posting even if you are smarting are a bit. I still think you rock. Karin
          hermosaboy is human! We all have off days. Some races just go better than others. Of course, I wish my good days were as fast as your off ones!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Hi Hermosaboy, Sure sounds like it was the stitch that did you in. Do you have any idea of what caused it? It does take something out of your ability to race at top speed when it feels like someone is sticking a knife in your ribs with every breath, doesn't it? But you know this'll pass, and that you've got more great races ahead of you. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

Great job toughing it out anyway. Even the stinkers are learning experiences. You'll own it next year.

Runners run

What a disappointment. I hope the yin makes the yang all that much sweeter.
                  You toughed it out when things got rough, hermosa. In spite of the side stitch you still got 3rd in AG. Hang in there and congratulations. TomS
                    Rob, I know you're disappointed with the results here, but you toughed it out to the finish when feeling like crap. You are running at a very high level, especially when your "worst race result ever" turns out to be a 3rd place AG placing in a VERY competitive field! Personally, I would have been very happy with a 6:15/mile death march on a 10 mile race..... Wink Hold your head up high, you WILL have many excellent race results in your future Big grin Take care, John