Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 11.7.17 (Read 37 times)

I squeaked in 4.5 before sunset

the meat of the run; 800-3:02, 600-2:06, 400-1:12. About 2-3 min jog/run between reps.

It felt good to run fast, but I was distracted by, and held back because, I was concerned with angering my achilles, but both feel fine at the moment. The MAIN THING that hampered my running was this thick, sticky post-nasal drip. Not yellow, so no infection. I pretty much had to clear my throat and spit every 10-15 steps, and every breath out was a rattling of gunk in my throat. I have no idea what this is, I had it worse at the start of Summer, now it's just during hard efforts, usually.

Jay; way to go with the fundraising!

Metalman; I know how you feel, when I decided not to do that 50k I cut back and everything got easier. All of a sudden I had more time and less stress.

Temperature: As a younger guy doing mainly fast stuff 5k or less, and mostly track, I liked 60 degrees, overcast and no wind. Down to 50 was OK, but now I'm old and my bones are pernicious regarding cold. Or I'm spoiled. Between 60-70 is about right to me. I really hate the wind no matter the temperature.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, slept in this morning so ran late in the afternoon.  Ran from my hangar to the base track then did 6 x 800m intervals (probably should have done 5 x 3 minutes but this shouldn't mess up my marathon--my lack of long runs should do that!).  Intervals went well, 3:16, 3:13, 3:13, 3:12, 3:13, 3:11; recoveries averaged 2:23.  8.4 miles total, average pace of 7:50.  Good workout.  After work taught spin at the Y.

For me, ideal running weather is the upper 30s, lower 40s.  Will still wear a singlet (usually)--after my warm up.

Coastwalker, that is a very impressive fundraising total!  Congratulations!

Marisopial, sounds beautiful.  I got to do a marathon in Germany (the week after doing one in Atlanta).  It was through wine country and went from village to village.  Amazingly, my time was only a minute slower than Atlanta.

Holly, I've worn shorts in the teens (granted, with compression shorts underneath and calf sleeves).

Tramps, fair amount of cycling experience here.  Clothing choice starts with what kind of riding I'm going to do (and where).  Mountain biking (in winter) typically will require fewer layers for me than on the road (wind tends to be blocked, can't ride as fast, it is far more of a total body workout) unless it's raining or the course is very wet/muddy.

Jlynne, thanks for the heads up on the Isaacson book.  Will have to pick it up after I finish the one I'm reading on the Titan II missile explosion in Arkansas.  Isaacson's biography on Benjamin Franklin was quite good.

Metal, nice run.  And I like your plan--should also make it slightly less stressful for you during tax season.

Have a great night everyone!

I read the daily but I am posting on a cell phone. Translation, you get none of my fascinating commentary to entertain yourself with. Not even about those that may have possibly broken Rule #1.

Heck, it is not even clear what I have to say here. I am still fighting this cold. So no running or any other exercise. I did take a 45 minute nap at my desk! That was a pretty good trick. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

I packed my running clothes to run at lunch but didn't run. Sigh..ate chocolate drizzled popcorn instead.

Trails Rock!

evanflein

I really hate the wind no matter the temperature.

Amen to that! That's what made the marathon in VT so difficult, the return was almost all with a strong (20-30 mph) headwind with 40+ mph gusts. Bleh, just made me want to crumple on the course. Perfect temps for a marathon is probably in the mid-40's to mid-50's, IMO.

Liz, chocolate drizzled popcorn is a reasonable alternative to a run. Within moderation, of course. And yes, we all do so well with this "moderation" concept, right? Big grin

Feeling better, but still nowhere near 100%. Not as gunky as Surly Bill though, that sounds gross.   Managed to crank out a 5.3 mile treadmill run after work. Gotta buck up and get over the fear of ice and run outside. Sounds like it'll be pretty nice (relatively speaking) tomorrow so I'll pack my bag for an outdoor run.

I'll be in Seattle this weekend. Enke gave me some idea for running where we'll be staying up in Kirkland (still not sure why we're up there...) so I hope the weather cooperates. I'm not quite the rain lover our dear Tetsujin is, or was...?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ide

we'll be staying up in Kirkland (still not sure why we're up there...) so I hope the weather cooperates. I'm not quite the rain lover our dear Tetsujin is, or was...?

Except for the traffic congestion down here, that’s like going to Fairbanks but staying in North Pole.  They have a nice half and some 5/10K fun runs out out in Kirkland along with a late season tri and The Seven Hills of Kirkland Century RIde that enke’s probably done with Mr. Blue Eyes so should be some good runs, especially over in the valley by all the wineries.  Unfortunately, especially if you’re not feelin’ very well, long predicted rains are finally supposed to be arriving by the weekend.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I did take a 45 minute nap at my desk! That was a pretty good trick. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Unfortunately, especially if you’re not feelin’ very well, long predicted rains are finally supposed to be arriving by the weekend.

Well crap, and I was just going to check the weather....