Masters Running

Friday 9/28/18 (Read 40 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I got home late from the cross country meet, last night, and didn't get in here to post my 10 miler...but I'm still counting it, dang it.

Holly--I'm so sorry you're going through all of this with your daughter.  Hopefully, in 10 years, she and you will look back on these days and have a good laugh.

I did not have a very fun experience at Boston in 1996 and I think it's way too expensive to do again.  BUT--if one of my kids (or grandkids) ever qualify, I'll do it with them.

I did 10 miles tonight.  It was 53° and windy and I froze my little butt off!  That's ridiculous.  I used to love running when it was in the 50's.  So, this is probably TMI but, with 3 miles to go, I had to poop...and it wasn't going to wait for 3 more miles.  Luckily, I was right by a small utility building and I went behind it and did the job.  I was, also, lucky to have a bunch of trees with nice big leaves around me.  That's only the 2nd time in my whole running career that I've had to do that.

Okay--I think that's about all you want to hear from me, today.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, lots of folks meet up with if you do come for Boston.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Oh God, Holly.  I can’t believe she was suspended when he was threatening her so much!  Geez!

Yeah- the MRI tech told me I could sleep, but I still needed to drive home and if I take a nap that late I can’t sleep all night.  I shut my eyes, but tried to stay mainly awake.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Ok, that's 7 hard days of no-running completed. My hip feels like nothing's wrong in the morning, but by the end of the day I still get that "ripping" feeling along the iliac crest if I move wrong. Sitting too long seems to be an issue. But, it's better every day. Took the time to do 200-250 situps a say, and 25-75 side leg raises, and 3-5 minutes of planking. I think I'll go for a 3-4 mile JOG tomorrow. What's funny is that I had too much time on my hands by not having that 2 hours a day devoted to preparing for, doing, and cleaning up after running. So I finally got around to installing a 42" TV I had sitting around as a computer monitor. And changing the strings on 4 of my guitars. And sharpening all our kitchen knives.

steveP; to reiterate, that's why I took a vow of poverty and became self employed. I just could not handle the other idiots. I'm bad enough on my own. Also, maybe buy the business so you can hire decent people yourself? And yet another thing; the demand for labor is skyrocketing, so they really ARE hiring "just anybody". It seems like a bad idea to me. I'd rather pay a higher wage than other companies and only hire a few quality people rather than hire a bunch of liabilities at a lower wage. 3 good workers can accomplish more than 10-15 idiots.

Paul; nice vacation!

Joe; I miss coaching.

Holly; hey, here's some silver lining regarding DD. I've noticed that a lot of people end up very balanced in their lifetimes, the High School wallflowers go nuts when they get older, and the super wild ones become Holy Rollers when they get older. Fingers crossed.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

The fun never stops with Holly's DD. Sorry about all this. I do hope it wasn't a case of her provoking him. If he's got mental health issues and (apparently) prone to violent outbursts, that's really a dumb move on her part.

Mike E, I've done Boston a few times (4 starts, 3 finishes, my one and only (so far) DNF in 2009) and I agree with you. While I love the race, it's just gotten so dang expensive. If you're into big iconic road races and you can qualify, I think doing it once is a good goal. But these people who do it year after year after year after year... I just don't get it.

I bet I'd fall asleep in an MRI machine any time of day. I hear they're loud with some banging noises though, so maybe that would keep me awake.

Ran 5.1 miles today that were supposed to be easy but ended up more GA pace. Just felt pretty good and it was a beautiful day. Looking forward to a really nice weekend with sunny skies and temps in the high 50's, low 60's. Yay!