Masters Running

Hudson-Mohawk Marathon RR (Read 227 times)

I hadn't planned on running this....I was hoping to run in Philly next month, and had barely started to ramp up my mileage for that. I'm not going to be able to run Philly, though, so just last Monday, I registered and started tapering....heh heh. I was hoping to end '08 without the disappointing time I ran at Vermont City....3:41 and change, when I was hoping to BQ with a 3:20. OOOPS. My only goal for HUDMO was to better that time. By the way, I NAILED my pre-race dinner....Linguine Carbonara......it's hot pasta tossed with raw egg yolks, grated parmesan and bacon.....one of those Italian dishes that uses few ingredients, but manages to be spectacular if done right with good ingredients. I guess a good red wine would help. Shame I don't drink anymore. So....negative splits. They work for Aamos, maybe they'll work for me. Amy's run, what, over 100 of these? I'll follow her example, thank you very much. I'll run 8 m/m for the first 13, see if I can speed up a bit through mile 20, then see what happens for the last 6. I'm expecting a wall, big-time, since I haven't put in the time and done many long runs. Any-hoooooo.... I finish mile 13 at 1:44:16, and a little down the road, the 13.1 clock is on the fritz. No worries. I feel excellent, aided immeasurably by the glorious weather we're having, as well as some great fall foliage. Must speed up a tad. Sure enough, 7:52, 7:54, 7:48, 7:48, mile 18 at 7:42, 8:01, 8:08 at twenty (they held us up for a bit to let an ambulance go through a cross street). There was a pace clock at mile 20.....2:40:13. I am elated. Compared to Vermont, I am feeling GREAT. The ankles are giving me a little grief, but my lungs feel fantastic. For comparison, I think that I ran a 10-minute mile at mile twenty in Vermont, and walked through every water station. 21 at HUDMO? 7:53, 22, 7:56. I remark to the fellow who's been running with me that I intend to pick it up for the last 5k. He wishes me well, but my ankles are really starting to hurt. I'm just concentrating on form (this never fails to help me) so.....focus on stride....and...speed up. I'm only marginally successful at this, but the thought of a 12-or-so minute PR is dangling the proverbial carrot. I think: "The pain is your ally." My ankles beg to differ. 7:50, 7:41, 7:43....it's nice to pass people for a change. 26 at 7:55...I'm really hurting here, but I've got a sub-3:30 in my sights.....but the legs aren't having it....just finish. I feel like a stick man. the last 385 yards takes a little less than two and a half minutes. Bottom line? 3:28:52. Yahoo! I was going to be happy with a 3:30-anything. You know how the week after you PR, everything's just a little better? I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for reading! Walt
      Walt, great job, and I hope you enjoy the post-race glow all week and beyond. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
        WooHoo indeed, indeedy do. Savour your PR now!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Nice work, Walt. Congrats on the PR and the pre-race dinner! Did you make the dinner yourself...seems like I remember you having some culinary skills?
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome race, Walt, especially when you signed up at the last minute and hadn't fully trained. I looked up the location (as you failed to mention it in your RR - $1 fine). I saw it went from Schenectady to Albany - cool! I grew up in Schenectady - dad worked for GE. You also didn't provide a fashion report (or lack thereof) - another $1 fine. But since you beat your goal and had a fine negative split, you get a $2 credit, so you're even.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

It's nice to wake up from the post-race nap and read such nice comments. Evryday, I did make the pasta. It's really easy. And yes, I was a Chef for 17 years, up 'til 2000 or so. I have never regretted changing careers. Wild One: I dress to disappear. White singlet, gray shorts, gray bandana headband which cost a buck. Pre-race, I did have my dark gray Smartwool socks on my arms. Shoes were some ASICS performance trainer....pretty lightweight, nice insole ( I just went and checked...Gel DS Trainer 13) Nice thing about this race? Net elevation loss. Point-to-point, you lose 350 feet. Suh-weet. Maybe I'll do some takeout tonight. Walt

Marathon Maniac #3309

Great race and RR Walt. I felt like I was right there with ya.....good job!!!....very good time too. Why did you change races, or did I miss something. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SteveP

PRs rock!!!!Your lighthearted and informative RR was a joy to read!! Thanks!!!

SteveP

TammyinGP

hey - I like your style - register for a race and go into your taper! Congratulations on a fabulous race! What a nice surprise I bet that was, to change plans almost last minute and then get a great PR. Way to go!!

Tammy

Way to go, Walt. It sounds like you've got a new training plan, last minute sign up and run a PR. Congratulations. I hope your ankle doesn't have any long lasting problems. TomS
                      Tramps

Great race, Walt. It sounded like all went well and even with a last minute registration you were strong throughout. Nice! Enjoy that PR afterglow.

Be safe. Be kind.

How wonderful! I am so happy for you, Walt. Thirteen minutes chopped off your Vermont time is Huge! Seems as if your self-talk worked (mine never does, or so it feels) and your last 5K was excellent. Since Philly's off the schedule, what's next? You can't quit now Wink! Congrats and big ol' grins, Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin A
                          Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

You had barely begun to ramp up your mileage, and yet you get this huge PR - sweet! Great race! Dunno about the raw egg yolks, though.... Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

....so, if you're emulating Amy...??.. Big grin Congrats Walt! Cool
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                                Holly, http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/linguine-carbonara Don't make me start a Brussels sprouts war. Tim, I have a feeling you're going to nail your first marathon- you train much, much harder than I do. Aamos-thanks for the words. You mention self-talk, the little voice in your head? Mine was being nice yesterday. Thanks for the comments. Walt