Masters Running

40's on the Run... Too hot outside, better stay in and watch football (Read 366 times)

Wow Leslie. That looks like tough terrain. Did you say desert or dessert?!?
    First you run through the desert, then you get lots of dessert! Big grin Take care of that hip and hammie. Give it a coupla days. When's your marathon?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Just call me shorty Big grin Wink, 3.1 this morn. Emailed Jonathan bout the achilles thing, he advised using heel lifts. Seems to do ok with this low mileage. Joe article in Runners World about roadblocks in marathon training esp the ones that pop up late in the training cycle, some advice but mostly lets ya know youre' not alone and most times can be overcome. Catch up with yall later (been reading just not enuff time to post), I promise, gotta get to going.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Take care of that hip and hammie. Give it a coupla days. When's your marathon?
        Not until Nov 23rd. Plenty of time to recover. The thing that gets me is this: During my whole running career (1.5 yrs) and even when I was a casual runner in my 20's, I had this notion that my left leg was shorter than my right. I feel it in my stride and my aches and pains are always on the left side as well.Shin splints,calf pain,now tension in my left hip and under my hammie where the top of the leg bone joins the hip.I read somewhere that if you have pain in only one side of your hip,it's almost always a leg length descrepency or hip imbalance. I have gone to a "sports Dr." and he kinda measured me but didn't think it's an issue.He says that I'm MUCH tighter on my left side and I should take a break and stretch more. I'm caught in the "chicken or egg" syndrome and wonder if I'm tight only on my left side for a reason? I'm looking for another Dr that's on my plan that's more tolerant of runners. End of rant. Thanks for listening. Cool

saltyd

Hi All, Good news! The doctor gave me the green light to start running, swimming, all that fun stuff! I am so happy. The big test will be when I get out there and see if the surgery was a success. So far it appears to be. I'm planning to go out tomorrow before it gets too hot. Take it slow, and know my stamina is going to suck for a while, until I build it back up. I get the VW bug convertible back today too. Apparently the fuel lines in the back and front were bad. This dry weather here is brutal on fuel hoses. Looking forward to getting to put the top down on that, and enjoy driving around. Salty
          Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
            Great news Salty.....you'll have that stamina back in no time. Jim, hope the achilles problem gets on the mend soon. I hear/read so much about little injuries here and there just before race events and from what I gather is that it happens to ALOT of runners because we seem to "push it" just a tad more because we know our race is right around the corner. It's not karma or bad luck, it's that little EXTRA umpf we throw in there because we're feeling great. That little "extra" can cost you and set you back a bit. Take it easy Joe......you will bounce right back. Just give it a wee bit of a rest! Arla.....sorry to hear of your loss. Life just isn't fair sometimes! At least that's the way it seems! I'll never forget my friend who passed away just 2 years ago. One day she was here in the office telling me she found a lump in her breast this morning in the shower and 9 months later I was at her funeral. We were just a couple of months apart in age. So young.....she was such a great person! Leslie......go for it! The book that is! That would be a great contribute to your mom! She raised one heck of a tough daughter so I know she must have been a great lady. O.K. enough of that stuff! Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              First - GO, KELLY!!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FIRST 100-MILER!!!! Joe - I'm finding out a lot through PT and this MAT stuff. When the hammies are messed up, lots of other stuff gets messed up, too. And when other things are messed up, the hammies are the first to take the brunt of the problems. Although my MAT person does not agree with passive stretching, i.e. putting your leg up on the wall to stretch the hammies, once I started doing this, my hamstring problem went away within a week or so (I wasn't real consistent with stretching), and my hip flexor problem has been almost completely eliminated. What I did: Lie on the floor in a doorway (this gives your non-stretching leg somewhere to be). Put your heel up on the wall and, without applying pressure, let it lay there for about 5 minutes, then change legs. You don't want to force the stretch/be uncomfortable. If you can do this every day, I think you will see an improvement in a very short time, and soon your butt will be up against the wall. Okay now - You've only been running for 1.5 years and you put in the kind of mileage you do??? Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew you hadn't been at this for a really long, but holy cow, dude!! Shocked My hat's off to you! (Can you say, "natural talent?") For me this a.m. - 8.11 miles in 1:26:03 for an av pace of 10:37. Now here's something interesting: For the first time this a.m., I went back and compared HR activity during my Friday long run. Interesting: Last Week 1:24:43 hrs 8.00 miles 143 av HR 175 max HR 10:36 av pace 991 calories burned This Week 1:26:03 hrs 8.11 miles 140 av HR 166 max HR 10:3 av pace 1021 calories burned There was hardly any difference between the two runs, however, my average and max HRs were lower during today's run and I burned 30 more calories. Very cool!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Thanks Leslie for the stretch and compliment.Thanks too Jim and Jewels for the encouraging words! Go easy Salty,you'll do fine! Good Luck to racers Carol and Kelly this weekend!!

flatland mountaineer

A quick well wish to racers Carol and Kelly Smile MTA good luck to Doug on his half also!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

So there's this store in town we call the "Banned Foods Store." They always have great deals, weird stuff, etc. The Hub shopped there last weekend and bought some canned peas (among other things). Tonight I go to open the peas, which are labeled "Sweet Peas," and - - - it's canned potatoes! What? Shifted them around a bit to see if the peas were hidden underneath. Nope. Okay. Grabbed another can and - - canned potatoes - again! I was cracking up! Couldn't bring myself to open another can. Hub says, "Guess that's why they were 39 cents." Too funny. Went for the peas and carrots - aaah, yes! Peas and carrots.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly and Carol - best wishes on those races! Have FUN! salty- great news! Seems you've recovered so fast - but then, that's easy for me to say... Tongue Joe - yeah, beware of doctors that don't GET running. I live with one, who is just now finally coming around to see the light and reading the new literature..."hey, they just did a study showing that older runners DON'T have bad knees"... ...um, yeah...DUH!... Jewels - thanks for the kind words. My mentor/friend was quite a bit older than me, and over the last few years he had been declining due to dementia, but still..golly he was fine not that long ago...oh, has it really been 20 years? I've now lost the best mentors of my youth..I guess that's how it goes.. And meanwhile the world is going to the dogs... hellooo, taxpayer$ $$ All that and then...well, you know what? It's been a beautiful day, I had a great day in class with a bunch of students staying over and asking questions and it all turned into a really fun learning session, then I cleaned house and it looks all pretty and tidy, then a nice easy run, and by the way I can't remember how it happened that runs got to be so pleasant, next a nice dinner (nevermind that it was leftovers, it was yummy- BBQ ribs in a tasty homemade marinade), and a nice chat with my mom over the phone...so it's all good...how 'bout that? Sometimes I wonder...so many people talk about all the bad stuff, me too, sometimes...but mostly it's good, eh? I never used to feel this way, maybe I'm more resilient ...or more appreciative...than I used to be when I was younger... Hope it's all good for y'all...and HEY! It's Friday Evil grin Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Arla: {{{{{ Smile Cool}}}} (hope that makes sense Wink) Leslie: Adventure of the "canned variety!" Big grin as opposed to dessert in the desert......btw, I tried your 'wall-doorway' stretch...I have to drop through the doorway to get anything out of it Roll eyes Jim: I relayed to Doug ~ he's feeling pretty good. Hasn't shared if/what he has for goals, although he really is more of a "Winnie-the-Pooh" personality....lives in the moment w/o expectations (wish I could do that more!) Joe: you have an awesome base & plenty of time till your race!!...that said, try some Yoga classes & see if you get a bit more balanced feeling...(I'm thinking some Ashtanga type for core work, etc) ....often if there's no structural imbalance (Doc woulda told ya) it's a soft tissue & thereby, manipulatable Wink & of course, I'm always an advocate of such things as MAT & Sports Massage! Smile & maybe a little Salsa Dancing to loosen up the hips! .... Diana: Woot! Woot! YAY!! Well, I guess you could say I made my 20.....sorta Confused Had an awful sleep night Thurs night - don't know if it was the Dr Pepper before bedtime or that I was over-working wkend events...got a ballgame added to Friday eve Roll eyes anywhoo, didn't sleep well, so didn't get up till 7:30..no time for a decent breakfast...gonna be 80* by noonish...hafta take the coolie vest & stay shady for Mairead...thought for several minutes about the viability of bagging it until Tues...but then I'd be wiped out from the wknd & wouldn't maybe have good recovery before Weds eve track workout....SO! went out to "do what I could"....made it 21.56 reeeall slow miles avg 13:30 pc - which includes a BUNCH of walking due to foot pain & lack of energy...well, really about 12 of it was decent enough...guess I'll just have to take it at that & move on.....barely made it home before all the folks going to the game - got to ice my feet before heading out...had a good time, Rockies over the D-Backs 3-1. Smile followed by awesome fireworks show....not really stiff this am, which means I didn't really kick my own butt so much yesterday! okay then....off to the shower & enrt Wedding via Expo.... Have a Great Weekend Everybody.....See Ya Sunday/Monday.... Cindy
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          Way to go Cindy on the miles. That is alot of miles. Woot, woot. Slow n' steady is what it's all about. Speaking of slow......5 slow miles this morning, but feeling really good. No aches or pains. Another shout out to Kelly, Carol and Doug! Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                            Race Reports! Race Reports!! Okay - rest a little . . . then, Race Reports!!! Cindy - Nice job on the mileage today. Way for you and Mairead to suck it up and hit the road. Doesn't matter how fast or slow you went, so long as you did it. Smile Arla - Sometimes it does feel like the bad is trying to overwhelm, but you're right. There is a ton of good going on in our lives, and that's what we need to focus on. We have our health, our friends, our family, roofs over our heads, food on our tables - Very good. Very, very good. Yes About 12 miles today at Fern Canyon all by my lonesome. It was really nice. Not another soul around until I was almost done. About 2 hours into the run, I passed a couple going in the other direction. About 40 minutes later, I passed 3 young men hiking in. It was quiet, overcast so cool, but not cold. Absolutely perfect. We haven't run out there in quite awhile, so I had forgotten how rolling it is, lots of roots to skip over, quite a few, well, I guess you'd call 'em corners to go around. It's not an extremely technical trail, but it's more technical the major portions of the Arcata Forest. Used my new 2-bottle set up today. It's a Go-Lite that's made specifically for a woman's form. Absolutely no bounce when running. I'll definitely be using it more than my pack. The pack will be for runs over 3 hours. My legs were really tired after the 3 hours. I was told I should be consuming about 280 calories an hour after the first hour. Consumed a total of 560 calories in solids: nothing the first hour, about 320 the second hour and the rest the third hour, and about 31 oz of fluids (GU2O and maltodextrin). I just feel like with all the training I've been doing that my legs should feel fresher, even after 3 hours. Dunno . . . The Hub's gone to a couple of bday parties, I just got everything ready to can 2 lugs of tomatoes tomorrow, and now I'm in my PJs relaxing and contemplating a nice loooooong nap. (Is 7:00 to soon to go to bed??).

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Our girl, Kelly, must be the 2nd one on the list since there's no other Kelly listed. http://www.iroquoistrails100.com/Live.aspx

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Woohoo!!! Go Kelly! Busy day, so quickie race report. But first, I cannot tell you how much all your well wishes mean. I read them before I went to the race and thought of you all as I was running. I really do wish we could all get together and run one somewhere, or at least hang out and get to know one another in person. Tour des Fleurs 10K Hubby is stressing over some tests at school next week, but was such a sweetie and got up at 4:30 this morning to make the trip to Dallas w/ me Smile Beautiful day at the Dallas Arboretum and White Rock Lake. Fish jumping in the glassy water at the start made me kind of want to ditch the race and grab a fishing pole. Anyway, end result was that I met one of my goals, but not the other. Finished 19 seconds ahead of my time last year (goal #1), but didn't quite break an hour (goal #2). This year 1:00:14, avg HR 182. Last yr 1:00:33, avg HR 179. Still wishing I had found that extra 14 seconds somewhere, but ran a hard effort for me so OK with that. If someone can remind me how to post a picture, I'll let that suffice for the fashion report. Can't wait to hear of Kelly's adventures. Go Kelly!!!
                                Progress Trumps Pefection