Masters Running

Tuesday, July 26th--another day under the heat dome (Read 33 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slow day yesterday, but no major recap from me.  Jay is sleeping in, so I thought I'd start up and see if it gets any busier.

74° at 5:30 this morning (and it's looking quite a bit darker at that hour already), so didn't bother even starting with a shirt.  I knew it would be a waste of laundering when it lasted less than a mile.  3.1 miles that were a very pleasant surprise at just over 9 m/m.

Happy runs and better days to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...morning stumpy//..........just saw where the Football Coaches here have agreed to stop practice when the Heat Index hits 105......

(and you KNOW what I'm gonna say next)

so tomorrow

looks like I'll have the Athletic Fields all to myself

can't decide if we were Dumber or Tougher

or

if these guys are Smarter or Wimpier

http://hopkinsvillefootball.stackvarsity.com/history

Ranked 9th then 5th Nationally when we were Playing

eta-

(Guess who just got his

Invitation to the 50th Team ReUnion)

==================

oh, yeah>>>>>>>FlyFishing and PoolRunning today

just waiting

for it to get a little hotter

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Kind of worn out after Sunday’s triathlon,
        and the last 12 days of streaking, but
        five more morning ‘mute miles anyway
        under thinning cloud cover - 63o.
        ps - what’s a heat index?
        How can it be hotter than it is already hot?

humidity?  wind at your back like an opposite

land windchill factor that stupidly measures

cold colder than it is in case anyone wants

to go outside on a windy day without any clothes?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

We're going and I'm in. Bellingham Bay Marathon in September. I mulled staying closer to home for some options on the same weekend but decided that A) getting to spend the weekend with our son, and B) full oxygen are worth the airfare. I like the area and it's relatively well done race (a runners race, if you know what I mean).

The challenge now is to keep up the mileage in the heat--our mornings here are reasonable for training, but I'm more of an afternoon runner so doing 10-20 days in a row at 6 or 6:30 AM does get old.

I miss Alaska.

I'm glad to hear that Holly made it to Cancun and having a good time.  evan, nice racing and with a foot that behaved.  tet, good job in your tri.  steve, great adventures with the dogs.  Aamos, good vibes for your friend in hospice.  enke, good luck in your job search.

This morning, it was about 70° and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

This is Jodi:

A little bit ago, her sister posted she'd remembered that when they lived on the farm when they were little, Jodi would hide the shoes of visitors so that they couldn't leave.  So yesterday, Julie and Joni, her sisters, brought her boots to hospice and told her they were ok and that she could go if she wanted.  Then a bit later, a friend road her Harley over to her window and revved the engine.  Joni said Jodi opened her eyes at that.  She posted this today:

"A beautiful ending to a beautiful life. All Jodi was waiting for was her motorcycle boots, to know that we'd be alright, and to hear her bike rumble again. Then, we're not sure what this means, but shortly afterwards about 30 dragonflies started hovering around her deck. Jodi gently passed away at 10:35 pm last night. Love you sissy."

Jodi felt about riding the way we feel about running.  I asked her once to describe how it made her feel, and she wrote a beautiful passage that she later had printed and hung on her office wall with a photo of her on her bike.

She was only in her 40s.  Thanks for letting me go on a bit here.    I'm usually a tough nut, but siblings dying too young are a real sore spot with me.  And when they're yours, it's almost always too early, whatever their age.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

New skirt in town

I'm so, so sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds as if she was surrounded by friends and family and warm thoughts, which is lovely.

5.5 miles done this morning in the heat and humidity.  Half shuffling, half running, half walking. You do the math, because my heat-addled brain couldn't do it.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Very Moving aamos//

...........''A Beautiful End to a Beautiful Life''.............well put

=============

well, high 90's again

2-hours FlyFishing

and then

45-min PoolRun, no belft, closed fists, run in shallows

I have started Opening my hands to Push Against the water in the shallows,

during the turns

and into the Deep End

to add to the difficulty,

been doing it almost a month and haven't hurt anything yet

...............good running guys....................

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Very Moving aamos//

Agreed, but still not nice to make people sniffle at work.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Very Moving aamos//

double ++ ((aamos))

ran a couple last night when it was only mid-80s.  picked up GD2 and went to Jayland - hampton - to have lunch with henrun's GS2 who's only here for a few more days (at college in Ohio).  then we went to beach where water was frigid and GD2 broke out in hives - not sure if it was the water or sunblock.  Left quickly, she took shower, and a benadryl and has been sleeping since.  rash is disappearing fortunately.  not sure what the evening will bring, but this has been enough excitement for one day.

Glad you posted that Aamos and nice she had such understanding sisters.

5.1 miles, hey, that is two days of running in a row, and my knee felt fine!  Slow, but I went out earlier while it was still cloudy and cooler.  Might run again tomorrow for a 3 day streak.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks you all.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow...Amy...wow.  A very moving post.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Amy...(((hugs))) to all the family and friends....way too young...

We wasted the first two hours of the day getting suckered into a timeshare presentation at a lovely all inclusive.  However, as soon as we realized what it was, I had somewhat of a hissy fit and extricated  us.  I don't want to waste our vacation time on presentations for things I know we won't buy,  However, they gave us a ride to the ferry and we took it to Isla Mujeres for the day, rented golf cart, and roamed the island.  Spent some time at a turtle farm and a beautiful turquoise beach and the fabulous Punta Sur,, with its rocky cliffs and iguanas on the rocks.  Stunning.  Very hot, though.  The water felt wonderful at the beach.  Then ferry back, bus ride back to the condo, and we are pooped out now.

Yesterday was a wonderful excursion, 4 xenotes, ziplining, kayaking, lunch, awesome!  We ziplined into the water from cliffs, rapelled into caves (sort of, really they lowered  you, easy), and jumped off of small cliffs into caves full of water.  Plus some snorkeling in the caves.  very cool!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I don't think I would want to be around when Holly is having a hissy fit...but it might be kind of fun to watch from a distance.