Masters Running

Hey! It's Saturday! And this is the Saturday Daily! 11-16-13 (Read 36 times)

C-R

Nice pics Mike!

Sorry about the race Tramps. There will be others and that's still a good time for hurting like that.

Some really great long runs today and at some fine paces too. Well done.

Ran my XC 5k in 20:26 and finished 5OA (small crowd). Feeling good about my returning fitness.

Son ran another PR and finished 13th in the State meet which qualifies him for Regionals in two weeks. His time today will easily place him for a spot in Nationals in December. Yikes. His team is a machine. They dominated the entire field through almost every age group.

It was so fun to watch so many kids running that hard and congratulating each other after and cheering runners into the finish line. Some great sportsmanship out there regardless of the team affiliation. Probably my best memory of the day.

Well off to rake leaves at FIL place with the boys. Chores wait for no one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Very respectable time with all the issues you had, Tramps!

Sparerbis, I always learn something from you, ohh wiseone. I should have ran only a few miles and forgo the XT yesterday....more on this below.

C-R, good job on your 5k. It is good to see you returning strong!

Speaking of returning strong, way to go with that 20 miler with 10 at MP, twocat.

I had a new running route today since my DH was driving to work and I got a ride with him to run back home.

Great fall weather for a run.18 twocat and tramps inspired miles(anyone else does MP miles during their LR?). I ran from South of Tonasket to Omak (5 miles easy; 2 miles at MP, which is 8:50pace; 5 miles easy, 2 miles at MP) then all easy. This was my first attempt to doing MP miles during a long run. My legs were tired from the beginning from all the burpies my XT video had me do. I must remember not to do a heavy duty XT the day before a LR like this one. Got it done and it feels good.

Now it is time to eat some pumkin soup, which I made before I left for my run today Wink, then a nap.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nice final time gutting it out Tramps, and just think, no dry heaves this time!

Deez - I was impressed with that run

You too Stumpy, the best idea is not to question why, but to just enjoy it.

Some nice long runs today too.

I did the 4 mile turkey predictor run and came in third place (third best at predicting my time) and won a turkey!!  I was so happy - I have been scheming on how to win this race ever since I ran it last year, when I was off my time by over 2 minutes. There are 3 steep hills and I had to walk some.  Announcer apologically said "but you get to run down them too!" (it is an out and back).  Plus, there is a busy street crossing, and I had to wait there - again this year, but only on the way out, not the way back.  I had factored all this into my time.  Anyhow, I was 21.6 seconds faster than I predicted (I thought for sure I'd be over....I felt really slow today).  Winner was off by 2 seconds, and second place person by 8 seconds...even though she ran/walked 17 minutes slower than me....that is some good predicting!

So I know what's for dinner this year....

While at the race, I met one of the co-founders of this web site:

http://gametiime.com/

Basically a site that lists all the races.

Only on the west coast right now, but they hope to expand.  They also hope to get into other sports, and league listing etc.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations C-R and your son, too.  Very cool.

Congratualtions to you, too, enke!  A turkey for the trophy case!  Woo Hoo!

Dang it Tramps...that really stinks.  I know how disappointing it is...you just never know what's going to hit you on race day.  Congratulations on a decent time, though...and you finished!

Tramps - Sorry things didn't turn out like you wanted, but I got a giggle about the movie marquee. Big grin  For me, though 3:42 for 26 miles - I'm impressed!

And I'm also impressed by Enke winning a turkey.  Nice!!

2Kitty - The postal system is driving us nuts at work, too.  Mail from Eureka used to get trucked down tot San Fran (6+ hrs) away and then brought back up the next day.  (Stupid, I know).  Now it's getting trucked to - - wait for it, wait for it - - Portland freaking Oregon - a mere 8 hours away.  I kid you not, it is taking some of the mail 5 days to get to a destination a mere 12 miles away.  Craziness, I tell you.  Craziness.

I had 12 miles this a.m. Last night, I had planned to head to the Arcata Community Forest for the first time a l-o-n-g time, but decided to end my upswing in mileage out at Headwaters.  After next week, I'll be on a cutback week since we're going to Yuma for Thanksgiving with Shorty's family.  First time we'll have spent Thanksgiving with them since we've been married - 26 years.

The run went well.  I'm liking how I'm feeling on all the climbing.  I believe the fact that I'm working hard to keep my cadence around 180 and my strides short is helping.  I did have to make a mad dash into the bushes toward the end.  Not sure what's going on with the system, unless it's all the raisins I've been eating.  That's my current binge.  Golden raisins.  Mmmmm - good! Approve

Shorty was at his house-husband best and made 3 loaves of pumpkin bread.  The house smelled wonderful when I walked in!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, friends ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

ribs, you have every rught to be proud of riblet.  Mike, cute pictures of the happy twins.  Tramps, I'm impressed with your marathon.  Sorry to hear you struggled, though.  C-R, nice 5K with 5th OA.  Also, congrats to your son on his PR and regional qualification.  enke, good job on your prediction run and winning a turkey.

Nice long runs for Mike, wild, Jay, deez, mari, and fatozzig.

I'm over in Ludington visiting my mother, sister, and brother in law.  This morning, it was about 40 degrees and windy.  I got in 8 paper bag miles.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Maniac 505

Enke: congrats on the turkey, and congrats to all the other racers this weekend.

My rant on the postal system,  apparently there have been revamps in my zip code.  some days no mail delivery,  sometimes twice a day to catch up.

Yesterday, I had a slip in my mail box that said I have a certified letter, signature required that I have to pick up 3 major post offices away.  The post office note was dated 11/6,  it says the article will be returned to sender 11/10,  I got the note on 11/15.

It's been an interesting week at work,  I have worked 3 different boats in the last 4 days (I was called at 2:00 AM to request I report to a different boat at 6:00.

Most of this week I have been working on a boat in drydock.  It's always interesting, and something I have not done as much of with the position I took a couple years ago.

This is a rare view of my ship with the rudder and propeller removed

drydock ferry

and here is a picture of my commute to work after a 6 mile bike ride.

scaffold

I expect to be in drydock for the rest of the week, so I should get off in time to get in a few miles for the rest of the week.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey dave, at least you don’t have to carry your bike up those stairs, . .
                  or work underneath.  Scary.
                  Re headlamps, How many lumens was the one you’ve posted on you like?  I had to return the super 200-lumen one I got at REI for last May’s Pigtails (on sale for $79.00) when, not even francesca who has one, could not get it working to pierce the misty rain for safe footing on the slippery trails around Lake Youngs.  I may not need that much brightness though and am thinking getting one with self-contained batteries (vs. a battery pack at the back of the head strap) maybe around 70 lumens for $30 or $40 on Thanksgiving weekend sale but wonder if there’s other considerations other than lumens, e.g. gloved XC skiers like big bottoms but I don’t care.
                  got up two hours after jay (and mikeE) but still in time for a four miler into the setting moon.   Not that I’m trying to keep ahead of tammy or anything like that for wildchild’s fewest miles again, I hope for a repeat performance tomorrow with Sunday's full moonset at 7:17 a.m. and sunrise at 7:18 a.m..
                  I didn’t get to see MikeE this summer but if I’d’ve seen him
                  that’s what I think he would have looked like.
                  Tough marathon tramps but if it’s not going to work out, maybe better to have it fall apart in a lot of places vs. regretting some small, correctable mistake/misque.  Hope you can figure it out.
                  ps twocat - maybe put the priority tracker in your passport (if you ever get it back) so we can follow your travels too.
                  pps deezie - whew, were you eating curry or something?.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tough race, Tramps, you were primed for a better time than that. Oh well, $hit happens, right? Sorry about the cramps. I hate it when that happens, as it often does. You'll get that sub-3:30 though, I'm sure.

Nice racing for C-R and C-R Jr. You guys rock!

Made it out for 8.2 miles today, in temps starting at 11° and ending at 8° but never really felt cold except when I turned into the wind, and then my face got cold. But other than that I felt fine, which reminds me that there's no bad weather, just bad clothing. Ok, to a limit. It's supposed to be a high of 5° tomorrow and I'm already thinking of a treadmill run. Ok, forecast snowfall is part of that decision. We'll see.

Leslie, I posted a picture of Abby on my FB page. She's much more comfortable with us, and will crawl up in our laps whenever we settle in for a relax. But she also still hisses at us when we do anything she doesn't like, and she's still pretty hard on Midnight, which we try to mitigate whenever we can. He's the favored old kitty in our house, so we try to make sure the new kitty doesn't try to get the one-up on him. It's been almost 4 months for a 14 year old cat to adapt... we're trying to be patient!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps – Sorry it wasn’t what you hoped it would be, but still quite a respectable showing.  Is there another one you could do in, say 3-5 weeks?

Twocat – nice LR!

C-R – nice running for you and your DS!

Mariposai – nice LR for you as well!

Divechief – cool pictures –that boat looks so big out of the water.

Erika – I agree that good clothing can make a very cold day not so bad, but the icy footing you were talking about earlier in the week is still very tough.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Tramps – Sorry it wasn’t what you hoped it would be, but still quite a respectable showing.  Is there another one you could do in, say 3-5 weeks?

...like Rocket City on December 14th...