Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.16.13 (Read 49 times)

And I can see it as a great motivator on those icy December days when the temps in south tejas drop below 70 degrees and I'm trying to force myself out the door. 

You gotta be kidding. I have a hard time getting motivated for running outside unless the temperature is below 70!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

I did a naked run today, too, but not nearly as naked as OM's, judging by her picture!  I was in long pants and long sleeved shirt and gloves, and a jacket for the first two miles (which I then tied around my waist!)    I sent my Garmin in for service, so I'm running naked till I get it back.  It was sunny and chilly and windy, but at least most of yesterday's snow has melted.  We have more snow in the forecast tomorrow night and Friday.  I'll bet it's nicer in Fairbanks...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Been gone a couple of days and not sure I am following anything here, but it sure is fun!

Ran Tufts on Monday. Below is a little of the history for this race. To this day I love that thousands more women showed up, for the first year, than were expected. The weather cooperated and was spectacular, AND I ran faster than expected. All-in-all it was an amazing event!

The Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women has its origins in 1977, when it was known as the Bonne Bell Mini Marathon. It was one of a series of 12 races for women that were held across the country.

Although only 200 women had been expected to participate that first year, 2,231 women ran and walked the course that began and ended at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge. The first race included a series of 17 steps, an unusual feature in a foot race.

Okay, back to the crazy fun around here!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

And I can see it as a great motivator on those icy December days when the temps in south tejas drop below 70 degrees and I'm trying to force myself out the door.

Seriously?  I have to tell you right now, when we're running in 10 degrees, you better NOT say you were cold on a 50-degree day....

OM - your hand is SO BIG!  I'm a little scared that the clown got to you...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Awesome, La Tortuga is here!

4 miles chasing the Easy Pacer around the orchards.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Awesome, La Tortuga is here!

4 miles chasing the Easy Pacer around the orchards.

And I bet that he let you catch him.  Wink

There is a former poster here (MaryT) that had run every one of the Tufts 10Ks, at least up to a couple of years ago.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Maniac 505

I don't know,  I don't think mo boy fits in AT ALL.   He is WAY to serious.  we need to find a way to get him to lighten up a bit.

And RE: Gravity,

First off, I "Never" go to movies.  I saw the 2004 the life aquatic with several Seattle Aquarium biologists.  (a pretty bad movie).  The last movies I went to on my own were "Run the Sahara" and "Spirit of the Marathon"  The only other recent movie I saw on my own was the 2000 feature "Men of honor"  There were a couple of other comedies I saw with Arf while waiting for flights but those were just time killers.

So,  I am not the greatest critic but with all the hype I had to check it out.  I thought it was so so.  So much of it overstretched believability  The engineer in me kept cringing.

On the other hand,  with my lack of movie experience, I plan on seeing "Captain Phillips" on my next week off.   I only made a couple trips to Africa in my 12 year off shore career,  most of my trips were to the far east, but the movie is about my industry, and I certainly could have had close friends working on that ship.

No run today, (I ran the last three so this day won't hurt)  I work days again tomorrow, then transition for nights for the next 6 days.  (I will get off work 6:00 thursday night and go back to work 6:00 Friday night.

will run for popsicles

ummmmm .... you guys know i can hear you talking, right?

p.s. i hadn't gone to the cinema in three years but brother talked me into going to Gravity. Pretty terrific. And wouldn't have been the same if I'd waited 12 years to see it on my tiny black-and-white TV at home.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What's a movie?

thanks wildchild.  I couldn't figure out how wearin' shoes and other attire could be that.

However, if gremlinless is the new naked, what do they call watchless and shoeless?

I don't think tammy'd let you in the hot tub like that though.

oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

I have to go to bed but will post in the morning.

there.  now I'm committed...

Henrun

re tufts.  Mary t is still running.  Louise Rossetti was also one of the annual runners until a couple of years ago.

i do enjoy the run having done it many years.  However, for a race of 7,000 women they have 10 year age group awards.  There's several women in the 65 + age group who are very fast (not me) who resent that and won't run it

marj posting as henrun