Masters Running

OKC Memorial Marthon A Run To Remember (Read 312 times)

The Jogger

Evryday, I read your report, looked at the pics, read Rib's comment and then looked at your training, as ever he was right, you got it dead right and what a result. Well Done Roy
      Congratulations, marathoner evryday. It looks to me like you did everything right from building a good base, building up gradually and wisely, making a good plan, and following the plan. The nice race day conditions and great support crew surely helped a lot. You say your pace was all over the place, but it looks pretty good to me. It's neat that you never hit the wall and were able to pick it up the last miles. How great to make the "evryday on crack" goal. You're the poster child for the way to prepare for and run a marathon. TomS
        Thanks to everyone who took the time to read. Thank you all for the kind words. enke...good luck to you in your first in Eugene. If you're like me, you're probably getting very anxious. When I finally got the wind at my back on Sunday, I said something like, "Yes, now it's going our way." A young women close by warned be not to jinx it. We started visiting and it turns out she is from Oregon and had moved to OKC about a year ago. CNY Tall Deez4....This one has whetted my appetite, so yes, I plan to do more. Now I've got myself thinking I can go faster! (Ribs you didn't hear that!) Ribs....The base, as I'm sure you know, is no where near where it should be. But I try to run within my ability. I'm learning the beautiful art of patience. Yes, I have learned alot, and most of the learning has been right here from good folks like you. Tammy....You want to run like me....what a compliment, thank you. Are you sure...you do know who you're talking to don't you? Big grin tselb....yes, the cool temps was a blessing, as well as the family support. If I'm a poster child for anything, it would be listening and trying to put into practice the wisdom that is represented on this forum. I've said it before....there's some good folks here.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

evryday--pretty amazing to train for a marthon on crack Wink Nice race and nice report. glad it went so well for you. I'm also glad that it's you that's addicted to marathons now. I'm doing mine vicariously for quite a while. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

huskydon

Wow! Congratulations! What a great job you did! You trained right, ran well, within yourself and really immersed yourself in the experience. Fantastic report, too. huskydon
              Great story and RR. Yep, nothing like hitting your "no way" goal! You ran your first marathon just like you should -- HAPPY!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I love this report! I can't believe that you worked so hard in 2007, only to find at the last minute that you had to WORK that weekend - that would have been SO disappointing. But boy you really came back strong - excellent racing, Marathoner!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

evryday... I've been waiting for this. Congratulations on your first marathon! The part I like the best is "no wall". In fact look at those splits, you sped up starting at mile 19! What nice pacing! Being even better prepared likely made this one that much more special! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Congrats on #1 evryday!! I have been waiting for your report. As you know my first is coming up next month and I have been watching your training leading up to yours. Thats what makes this group so great .One week I get info from the experiance of some Boston Veterans and this week from a first timer just like me. All these RRs have lots of information to digest and I try to get everything I can out of every one of them. Yours sounded like that long base building gave you the strength to push through strong and now you have a idea of what it takes to get to your next goal. I will take that to my starting line and try to remember to just finish the first one and worry about my time on the second. Thanks for the report Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I was lookin for your report....and I was lookin for yo at the race...but no such luck seeing you thee... You did a great job....all that training has really paid off with a strong finish..... Congrats and enjoy the euphoric feeling...you deserve it... No doubt you are already planning the next marathon...
                      btb1490

Congratulations, marathoner! What a model of patience and consistency you have been and it payed off big time! You planned for and ran that race like a seasoned pro! Look at those splits in the last few miles, you saved the best for last! Congratulations on a great race, I'm glad it all came together for you.
                        PJH

Wow ... congrats on a great 1st marathon, evryday! I was re-living my own first marathon as I was reading your RR. I remember clearly some of those feelings. Enjoy the memories ...you did awesome! That is a great time. I'll bet you're already thinking about the next one. Big grin PJ
                            Evryday, thanks for the wonderful first time marathon RR. You were awesome! Here's to many more marathons in your future....and may you enjoy them all!
                            nowor

18..11:33 had to pee and thought I'd never stop (perhaps a bit overhydrated) Ummm, you sure write a fully detailed report. Congratulations on careful training and enjoying your first marathon. Sounds like you're hooked!