Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.16.19 (Read 43 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Just finished a nice post marathon meal with Aamos at a deli in Richmond.  Ralph and I were cheering runners up a hill around mile 20-21.

I am not allowed to holler so I brought my cowbell from the Mo' cowbell marathon!

We spotted Aamos and cheered and hugged. She said she was freezing. And off she went. Pretty good for a girl with new titanium hips.

Then went to Final Gravity for some beers while Aamos finished the marathon and got cleaned up. We met her at a delicatessen downtown.

I had vegetable knishes and stuffed cabbage! Yum.

I told her about Jay's niece. And the concern about the bridge.

She said oh wow. Mile 15 and whoosh. Lived up to the fear.

It was great being a part of all that. However. It's better to participate than to cheer. So Ralph is going to sign up next year. I doubt my body can handle any more fulls. Maybe the half.

Be well!

RCG

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

We spotted Aamos and cheered and hugged. She said she was freezing. And off she went. Pretty good for a girl with new titanium hips.

Hi RCG! So how's Amy been doing these days? I haven't seen much of her online since I met her for the first time in Charlevoix a few years ago (on the occasion of my last HM, as luck would have it). Apparently she had successful hip replacement surgery. Was that recent?

Hey Joe! What's up with Indiana's judicial system? Three Indiana circuit court judges get into a drunken brawl in the wee hours outside an Indianapolis White Castle after the female member of the trio flips off the wrong people? And two of them end up getting shot? What's going on there in the Crossroads of America? 

I had some thoughts about running this morning even though my car was reading 19F on the way back from the coffee shop, but I decided to put it off until tomorrow when it might be a degree or two warmer. It's really freaking me out that we're dealing with weather conditions more appropriate to mid-January than mid-November. And no relief in sight for another week at least.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - wind is always in your face in all the directions!     

I have had many runs where I thought exactly that.

RCG - gosh I miss Amy.  I'm so glad to hear she is doing well with her new hips.

Roch - Seriously?  I have no words for such stupidity from people who should know better.

When the cold weather arrives, I seem to spend most of my at-home time in my fuzzy pants.  You know, the PJ bottoms that are soft and fuzzy.  I love them! I have my Grinch fuzzy pants, and my snowflake fuzzy pants, and my snowman fuzzy pants - so warm and snugly.  So, when we were at Walmart today I found a PJ set (LS top and pants) that were made of some sort of velour-like material, super-soft and cuddly, in a cheerful Christmassy plaid, and couldn't resist.  I am currently wearing them and feel soooo soft and warm and snugly.  I may never wear anything else again.   

DD liked the set so much, she asked if I can get her a set tomorrow, and a set for her BF too.  I'll get him a large and we just won't tell him they were in the women's department...

On a sad note, DH's father's brain cancer is back.  We knew this would happen - the tumor is/was on his brain stem and they could only remove part of it at the last surgery because of the location.  Now they are telling him that his brain will swell and he will basically become a vegetable before eventually succumbing.   This is so sad, and what a terrible way to go.  We will get more details next week, but are preparing for the worst.  Cancer really sucks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Hey Joe! What's up with Indiana's judicial system? Three Indiana circuit court judges get into a drunken brawl in the wee hours outside an Indianapolis White Castle after the female member of the trio flips off the wrong people? And two of them end up getting shot? What's going on there in the Crossroads of America? 

Oh my, what an embarrassment.   To the state and to the bench.   Three judges out of town, stone drunk, walking around Indy at 3am.  Bad judgement there...worse judgement to go to White Castle, even worse judgement to flip off a car.   One of our more famous residents, Tony Dungy, was fond of saying "Nothing good happens after midnight."   True for football players.   True for judges. 

Could happen anywhere but we were the big winner. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - "Nothing good happens after midnight" has been my mantra for years.  Of course, this is easy to say when you go to bed at 9pm, but still...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Quickadder

34F when I headed out the door early today, but 38F for the group run down by the lake. LS shirt, shorts, ankle socks and 1000+ mile shoes. Had good company for the first 10 miles but finished on my own. Total of 16 miles at average pace of 10:06.

A few days ago I mentioned that I was having a hard time deciding between signing up for a road marathon or a trail ultra. Three of this group commented and all 3 went with the trail race. Anyone else want to chime in?

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Joe618

tetsujin209 and everyone else wondering about Mariposai's well being. I am sorry to report that rumor has it that she has been kidnapped. Word is she was out in Mongolia doing an adventure race when a Mongol horde descended onto the course and road off with her on a horse. But, never fear! I have set up a GoFundMe page to rescue her! I do not want the kidnappers to know how much money has been raised, so it just says "Give Twocat money." But fear not, if she has been kidnapped by Mongols I will make sure every penny goes to rescue her! Indeed should she return to RA in the near future you will know your money has gone to a good cause!

Oh, thank you TwoCat!  How kind of you, how selfless, how thoughtful!   I'll be logging on soon with a generous investment in this important endeavor.

And how did your gig at Columbia go last week?? 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Holly-  I’m so sorry about the brain cancer.  That sounds absolutely terrible.  How is he holding up?    Your warm loungewear set sounds perfect!

I read about the thing with the judges.  At least it takes the heat off of some of Tennessee’s judges who make homophobic comments!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 and everyone else wondering about Mariposai's well being. I am sorry to report that rumor has it that she has been kidnapped. Word is she was out in Mongolia doing an adventure race when a Mongol horde descended onto the course and road off with her on a horse. But, never fear! I have set up a GoFundMe page to rescue her! I do not want the kidnappers to know how much money has been raised, so it just says "Give Twocat money." But fear not, if she has been kidnapped by Mongols I will make sure every penny goes to rescue her! Indeed should she return to RA in the near future you will know your money has gone to a good cause!

Twocat - thanks. I was figuring she was getting an early Christmas present somewhere or something but they say surviving the Gobi Desert Death March course in Mongolia is good preparation for foreigners attempting the Tokyo Marathon.

Incidentally, great security ruse

for the GoFundMe donations.

Even better yet, my receipt

came back as “Joe618.”
                    Thanks again.

RCG - gosh I miss Amy.  I'm so glad to hear she is doing well with her new hips.

thanks RCG. Me too. With already more than 125 AG podium wins

at last count I heard of some time ago, how’s the Titanium Goddess doin'?

ps - when first asked about MM membership at the 2003 Seattle Marathon when they were just starting up, I just rolled my eyes and felt sorry for people who had such a lack of a life that they could be so crazy about marathons that they just started a new club about it but, for some reason, when amy came out to Seattle for the 2005 Seattle Marathon and said she was a member, divechief and I joined up right away.

On a sad note, DH's father's brain cancer is back.  . . .  Now they are telling him that his brain will swell and he will basically become a vegetable before eventually succumbing.   This is so sad, and what a terrible way to go.

Holly - that's horrible, especially this time of year.

I hope they can relieve the pressure, provide pain-killers, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My life is so full of adventure! . . .  I have not yet bailed on going to Hong Kong for a conference in early December but I am really considering it.

Twocat - if Posie can survive Mongolia, you can survive Hong Kong.

However, maybe avoid any of the Chinese Emporiums with mainland China goods and cancel if there's a State Department advisory.

Here it is so you don't have to look it up.

note: the "?" originate from my copy/pasting

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/HongKong.html

Last update: Reissued with updates to information on Civil Unrest.
                      Exercise increased caution in Hong Kong due to civil unrest.

Country Summary: Since June 2019, large scale and smaller political demonstrations have taken place in various areas of Hong Kong, including MTR stations, shopping malls, universities, and at Hong Kong International airport. While many demonstrations have been peaceful, some have resulted in violent confrontations between protesters and police ? or between protesters and people who oppose the demonstrations ? leading to serious injuries. Police have used a variety of crowd control measures, including tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannons. On October 4, the government invoked the Emergency Regulations Ordinance to ban face masks at public gatherings. Any protests that take place without a permit are considered illegal.

Protests, which can take place with little or no notice at any time of the week, are likely to continue and are often accompanied by vandalism and/or violence.

U.S. citizens, as well as U.S. Consulate General employees, have been subject to a People’s Republic of China propaganda campaign falsely accusing the United States of fomenting unrest in Hong Kong.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

Monitor local media, local transportation sites and apps like MTR Mobile or CitybusNWFB, and the Hong Kong International Airport website for updates.
                      Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
                      Exercise caution if you are in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
                      Be aware of your surroundings.
                      Keep a low profile.
                      Review your flight status with your airline or at the Hong Kong International Airport website.
                      Follow U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong on Facebook and Twitter.
                      Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
                      Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
                      Review the Crime and Safety Report for Hong Kong.
                      U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Psst - Quickadder - trail run . . . trail run . . .

2Kitty - Thank you for letting us know.  *pulling out my credit card*

Anyone else enjoying the fact Tet learned how to post pictures?

Holly - Would you send me a pair of those fuzzy pants?  I'm always cold.

Falcon - It would drive me crazy to show up to teach a class at the hour you do, not knowing if anyone's gonna show up.  Someday I'll be able to sit on a bike again.

The thing about being at work at 6:45 on a Saturday is by 10:15, I'd put in 3.5 hrs.  Got home around 10:30 and got in a solid hour of core/ST.  I'm feeling it.

We had roasted chicken, veggies, and brown rice for dinner.  Shortly after we finished, our neighbor, who is Hispanic, showed up with a bowl of chicken tinga and tortilla chips.  They've shared treats with us over time, including homemade tamales.  I'm baking a bluberry bundt cake for a friend's birthday tomorrow, so I think I'll make some blueberry banana bread to take over to them to share.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I've been without a computer for a couple of days but I'm all hooked up, now, and ready to go.

Quickladder--I'll give you one vote for a road marathon.  I used to feel guilty about not enjoying trail races--I enjoy training on trails--but I like to try to go as fast as I can in a race and trails just slow me down.  So--1 vote for a road marathon.

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's dad, Holly.  Yes--cancer sucks!

I rarely wear socks that cover my ankles when I run.

I could never wear socks to bed....and, if I wore a shirt, it would be soaking wet and wake me up after a couple of hours.  I climb into bed freezing and put all the blankets on me until I warm up.  Then I take all the blankets off except for a sheet and I poke my feet out at the bottom and that is just perfect.  I'll bet you're all so happy to know that.

I ran 8 miles, today, for my longest run in a month.  It felt pretty good.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Oh--thanks for the reminder, Leslie--where do we send that money, Twocat?

evanflein

Holly, so sorry to hear about your FIL's recurrence. Cancer does, indeed, suck.  And I didn't run today either. Just seemed like there were more important things to do.

Quickadder, I love trail running. But what to do depends on your goal. If you want a fast time, like Mike, do the road race. If you want more of a fun overall experience, I'd think you'd get that with the trail race more than a road race. So there, I'm couching my recommendation based on what you want to get out of it.

RCG, I want to second what you said yesterday about Greta Thunberg. She's an amazing person, and I admire her moxie and her dedication to the cause. It's true, she has every right to be angry with a generation that can see the problem but is doing almost nothing about it. We'll all be gone by the time her generation is suffering the consequences. Totally sucks. I will say that's my one big guilt about traveling as much as I like to do: the carbon footprint of flying around to marathons is terrible. I rationalize it by saying the planes would be flying anyway, but that's a pretty lame response.

I miss Aamos so much. Did she run her marathon, or run/walk? Last I heard, she was walking (or... hiking?) with hiking poles. We had so much fun with her in Green Bay.

DH's dad used to say "if you're not having fun by 11 p.m., it's time to go home." Maybe that was his take on the after midnight, nothing good happens? While we sometimes stay up too late, that's cuz we crash on the couch watching TV, not because we're out carousing around. Heh, old folks.

So today the plan was get to the store relatively early, go to the office to get some work done, get a run in, shower/clean up, then go to my BIL's mother's "celebration of life." Well, we got about 3" of snow last night and by the time I got home from the store, it was obvious that my time would be better spent clearing the top of our driveway. So, 90 minutes later, it was clear I had to just get cleaned up and go. Timing was perfect, but there really was no time for a run and I was ok with that. So, no run today, and maybe just 5 tomorrow because I really need to get to my office to get some work done and get ready for the week.

SteveP

Jay, how did your niece do?

Tet, I've been pulled over while running as well.

Tramps, how was the concert?

(((((Leslie)))))

TwoCat, don't bail on Hong Kong yet. There's not been a credible Bigfoot siting there since 2003.The last rumor was in 2006. 

SteveP your stories are something else!

it's the same thing that happens with hundreds of thousands of other people. The only thing unique is my perspective.

I need an Aamos fix.

(((((Holly's family)))))) How horrible for FIL.

Quickadder...Nice 16!!!!!!

I had a erst day. House cleaning Got Dunkin cleared to exercise. him out to a state park and got out for a mile. He does like to chase squirrels. Who wouldn't? Then we stopped for ice cream.

He would not even taste it.

It melted in the truck.

SteveP