Masters Running

2+ Age Marathon Mug.... (Read 186 times)

Crossposted from KickMasters... The accomplishments of a fellow master over in the Running Times forum who ran 2:46 at Boston at age 50 inspired me to commission a very special beer mug to commemorate this accomplishment. It occurs to me that some others here may also have met this challenge at some point in the past (SpareRibs, Jim42.., JChaney?) so I ought to check that out and extend the challenge to those of you who may run your age + 2 hours in the future. (Hermosa, Tall etc.) Let me know and post particulars and I'll put the master glass engravers to work while they are fired up... http://www.runningtimes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8235 Ray

King of PhotoShop

Good job by him! Nope, I'm not in the running. I would have to run a 3:02 this year and I wouldn't even be close. Jim might have a shot at it. My fastest is a 2:51 at age 39, so I was 12 minutes slow for that one too. I gave up running for 17 years after that, so have no results for my 40's and early 50's. Interesting concept Ray. Spareribs
        Hey Ray, you have really come on strong since we had a similar discussion a couple years ago. I had 2 of them while in my 40's and hope to get another later this year at 62: June 18, 1989 Valley of Flowers, Lompoc CA 2:43:12. I am most proud of this one because I was first overall and it was run on a certified loop under a bright summer sun in Southern Cal. I was 43 at the time. March 11, 1990 Napa Valley, Napa CA 2:44:43. An easier course than first one, but I guess they all count. I was 44 for this one.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Wow, Ray that is great but I am not up to it yet..maybe as I get older and better. I would have to run 2:44 this year and it's not going to happen...with 4 years of running under my belt I am still improving so maybe in a few years....just maybe..but it will be fun trying I have not even decided yet what pace I will set in 3 weeks although I am absolutely feeling great...the week before I will post my race goals on the site and then hope eveything holds, including the temperature. My training run with my lady friend this week was 38.25K in 2:45.08 Congrats Jim...those are awesome marathons. You are incredible.

Recent Best times: None recently

btb1490

If we were talking half marathon times here, I may have a shot. You guys are amazing!
              Hey Ray, you have really come on strong since we had a similar discussion a couple years ago. I had 2 of them while in my 40's and hope to get another later this year at 62: June 18, 1989 Valley of Flowers, Lompoc CA 2:43:12. I am most proud of this one because I was first overall and it was run on a certified loop under a bright summer sun in Southern Cal. I was 43 at the time. March 11, 1990 Napa Valley, Napa CA 2:44:43. An easier course than first one, but I guess they all count. I was 44 for this one.
              Jim.... I'm going to wait for your time this year (I've been holding to below age rather than equal). - I have no doubt that your'll make this. Ray
                Thanks for vote of confidence Ray...I said "I hope to get another..." which is not the same as having no doubt. If the age-grade charts mean anything it will be much tougher this time around. For me to run 3:02 this year would be like 2:36-37 at 44 when I did my last 2+ age. I've had a few races at other distances this year that say 3:01-3:02, but often that can be a lot different than doing it in the actual marathon, as I found out in December. You as much as anyone I can think of have made me take notice of how to train for this event. While my mileage has been ok for the 8 marathons I've run in my life (52-60), I've done all but the first one off a slew of shorter races, then adding a couple 18's-20's as it got closer to marathon day. Although it is possible to do ok with that approach it is far from optimal, as has also been mentioned to me by Tinman. It takes more long tempos, fast finish runs, and higher overall mileage, which I see that you have been doing. So far this year it's been the same for me--a ton of shorter races and no marathon-specific training, but I am scheduled to begin near the end of June. Only time will tell if I have the discipline that it takes. Are you going to take another shot at Napa next spring? I'm thinking about it.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33