Masters Running

Wednesday Daily, 2.27.13 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Mainerunnah, I am so sorry to learn about your friend's son. What an awful situation it had to be for the son, and continues to be for the family. I can't imagine the impact this is having on the youngest son. My sympathies to them all.

Happy Birthday, Twocat! Tame, or not, your plans sounded pretty good!! I hope the meal at LeFarm was delicious, and that you enjoyed the bottle you took, and the Pappy's if you got that far. If you didn't, a second night of celebrating isn't so bad. I'm also glad that you feel good enough about your running to post a new avatar - great news!

Keep up the "pain-free" work, TomW - love to hear that good news from you too!

DW used to work at J&J in quasi-rural NJ, and they had dogs that ran free on the campus. Their job was to keep the geese from fouling the lawns and the ponds. They did good work...

Good quick feet yesterday, TomS, with negative splits and all! Gotta love those runs, especially when they sneak up on you.

Very nice "comeback" runs, Henry! Congrats. You should be in great shape for that bike tour through the tulips in April.

Congrats to Tammy on her 1st 100-mi. month in a couple of years, and to OM for her 1st 200-mile month ever!

Holly - keep breathing, nice and evenly, and spend some time focusing on the tulips instead of the stresses.

Welcome back Enke. Yep - NOT looking at work emails while on vacation should be mandatory. Otherwise, how much vacation are you really taking?

Speaking of eyesight issues, we used to have a neighbor (Ruby) who was 95 and legally blind. She had a screen magnifier so she could read the local paper and her books. But she still always knew what was going on in our back yard! She wasn't nosy, rather she was looking our for her neighbors. She passed away just a few years after we moved here, and we still miss her.

I was OK after my workout yesterday, but my hip and leg started to tighten up and get achy late yesterday afternoon - don't know why. Sitting for a 2.5 hour meeting last night didn't help, and neither did my before-bed stretches. So I stayed in this morning, did some more stretching, and will try to move around more during the day today. So it goes.

Have a Wednesday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Good to see some progress on that hip Jay.  And I know that J&J area quite well. Beautiful grounds.

Happy birthday twocat!

Got home from Indianapolis last night. Tons of people from the NFL Combine at the airport.  The starstruck TSA guy asked everyone, "Are you here for the Combine?"

Other than some tightness in the quads I feel just fine, a bit tired though. This morning my RP and I slow jogged one lap of the dirt track, 1.1 miles, then I went for a stretch.  Now I have tons of work to do.  Spareribs

C-R

Hi All. Bit late to the party for the week. Too much airport time.

Happy belated TwoCat.

Sorry for your friends loss Maine. No words for that. Just prayers.

Ribs - we must have passed each other. I was returning from DC. It was a bit nuts here. Last week when I returned from a flight from DC I saw Darth Hoodie at the baggage claim. Didn't realize he was allowed in town. Must have used a fake name.

Next time bring your shoes. Oh and nicely done on the ultra.

Good to see improvement Jay.

Back in the saddle again. 10k a day or more ya know. Took a real hard look at my race and although I am happy with the results based on the challenges, I really have not been putting in the work to be where I want to be. I told DS1 the other day that running was such a good sport because you get out what you put in (just like golf). Well I've not really been putting in but expecting to take out. That changed today and I'm stoked.

Off to do more work. Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I told DS1 the other day that running was such a good sport because you get out what you put in (just like golf). 

I hope you're right about the golf.  Because I am/have been on a serious mission to improve my game by putting in the requisite work.  Golf is the hardest game on earth IMO.

As far as running related activities are concerned, I should be able to make 100+ miles running this month.  The first time that's happened in many months.  Getting back on the horse ...  Pales by comparison to OM's 200 and Ribs' Ultra but I'm happy with it.

8 miles this morning with mile 6 at a stronger pace and mile 7 at HM pace.  A good run for me.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

rain rain go away, come back ONLY when we are sleeping at night .....uggh!!  6.2 miles of rolling hills on the treadmill today.

Dilemma - I really dont want to wear my new sneakers in the soaking rain just yet, they only have 2 runs on them, but tomorrow I NEED to do 14ish miles and it's supposed to be another day like today!!  I dont think I can tolerate 14 on the treadmill after being on it for 6 today ....what to do ...what to do ...... I am working 3 12 hours shifts fri/sat/sunday so tomorrow needs to go long!!

denise

C-R

I hope you're right about the golf.  Because I am/have been on a serious mission to improve my game by putting in the requisite work.  Golf is the hardest game on earth IMO.

Bill

Just remember Bill - practice doesn't make perfect. perfect practice makes perfect. That's my big take from 37 years of competitive golf.

Oh and once it gets your hooks in, it won't let go. Hope your DW is playing too.Smile

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

You're right C-R.  For some reason I am able to diagnose other golfers problems right away, but am unable to isolate my own issues - of which there a few biggies right now.  I am using a very good Golf Coach to help me know where the work needs to be.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...thanks jay//.........hope you shake it off...

......I'm just trying to hold what I got....

========

40min bikeride

and

32min poolrun

.......trying to get sick again,

Flu Season has been REALLY BAD, but no excuse to miss a work-out.....

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

You're right C-R.  For some reason I am able to diagnose other golfers problems right away, but am unable to isolate my own issues - of which there a few biggies right now.  I am using a very good Golf Coach to help me know where the work needs to be.

Bill

it's always good to have the second set of eyes. If you're interested, I managed to determine Hogan's secret from the 5 Basic Fundamentals book. Hard to execute but works like a charm.

Maniac 505

2Cat  Happy belated Bday.  Hope it was a good one

Maine Condolences for your friend.  That's Horrible.

Ribs  Looks like you are recovering nicely.

Today was my volunteer dive shift at the Seattle aquarium but they needed me on the dry side.  It was octopus moving day.  Always kind of fun to do something different.  We had 5 Giant Pacific Octopus to move today The biggest one was about 70 pounds,  that is a typical weight for a mature male but they can get up to over 150 pounds.

easy 3 miles after the aquarium.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Deez, wear the shoes in the rain. It's good for them. Smile

Sorry your hip has been bothering you, Jay. Hope you get relief soon.

I got my lingering pain-in-the-butt issue taken care of this afternoon, back to my old PT who I hadn't seen in close to two years. I fell flat on my back on the kitchen floor about a week and a half ago, my larger-than-life butt taking the brunt of the impact, and it must've knocked my sacrum out of whack a bit. So after my run this morning, I got myself back "in whack". Good thing tomorrow's a rest day, that's all I've got to say.

9 miles today for my PCR (progress calibration run). Half mile easy warmup, 8 miles at tempo, and half mile easy cooldown. Tempo miles were 8:40, 9:04, 8:39, 8:41, 8:48, 8:44, 8:47, 8:48, averaging to 8:46 which was spot-on target. That only variance in mile 2 was because the underpass in the park was flooded out, and I had to climb down a muddy incline to get around things. Interestingly the return trip through that area, climbing up, didn't slow me down at all.

Marathon Maniac #957

OM - smokin' run!

C-R and Byll - I took a golf lesson at the end of the season and he told me at the outset, "This advice may just mess up your game."  Sadly, I think it did....Roll eyes

Divechief - you have the coolest volunteer job....Smile

4.5 easy-paced miles for me this morning.  And 5 burpees.

Twocat - re your farro with braised grees recipe, where do you find pomegranite syrup?  And do you leave the lemon peel or slices in and eat them with the greens?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

deez4boyz much better.  Uggh goes well with treadmill. Wink

Holly S. you just leave in the lemon rind and eat it.  After slice the lemon and cook everything down you the rind will be tender.  Plus, if you use preserved lemons the rind will already start off pretty tender.

I had planned to try and run outside in the afternoon when the rain was supposed to stop.  Brains . . . must eat brains . . . well the rain never stopped.  So I did what I dreaded most . . . brains must eat brains . . . 14 miles on the treadmill.  Dead  Brains must eat brains . . . just horrible!  Dead  But done.  Somebody might want to tell my DW to make sure I do not try to bite her tonight as well as anybody else that might be around . . . brains must eat brains . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Maniac 505

Holly.  here you go  Pomegranite syrup   (sorry, but I always wanted to do that).  You can buy it with the first link, or  make it with the second.

where do you find pomegranite syrup?

Mariposai

Holly, that Farro recipe is yummie. My DH and I tasted it when we were visiting the twocats last year.

Diviechief, I second what Holly said about your cool volunteer work.

Ok, my intention was to comment on everyone's great miles, but I am dead tired. My long day turned into a not so pleasant board meeting, which I had to chair. Knowing that the day would be long, I decided to go out for a 4 miles recovery run this early morning.

Poor twocat, he has gone to zombies world! Deez4boys, be careful not to go there too.

Where is Erika, I miss that girl!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard