Masters Running

Tuesday, 3.7.17 (Read 40 times)

Cell Phones - They drive me crazy.  Kudos to Jay for having a rule at his home that pertains everyone, including guests.  My buddy, Karen, is horrible about constantly checking her phone - no matter when or where.

That being said, I broke down and got an Android a few months ago when my old flip phone kept giving me fits when dialing local numbers.  I have to admit I like the ease of texting, but my phone is not attached to me at the hip.  It spends 99.99% of its time in my purse, sometimes I hear it ring, and when I do try to answer it it doesn't matter how many times I 'swipe' the icon to answer a call, it doesn't work.  Convenient for avoiding calls.  Very convenient.  

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey everyone.

Just a quick post. I want to thank you all of the kind words, thoughts and prayers. It certainly helps and just reinforces the positive spirit of this little corner of the internet. Thank you.

Got another 5 today to keep things moving.

Good to see you back Ribs. No clue on your question but I hope a simple solution presents itself.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

Leslie, I keep my phone in my purse, too. But I do have it on my desk during the work day since DH and I text each other, seems easier than calling.

Holly, that's too funny! Reminds me of going through that book we have when you were here. My son was mortified to come home and see what we were giggling about.

Ribs, good to see you. I don't know what to tell you about your meds or condition, but I will say that I suffered some pretty bad calf cramps last fall during my marathons. I realize this isn't the same as your half-mile issue, but just to say cramping can affect anyone (I'm not on any meds). In neither case was hydration an issue so I don't know what caused mine, other than lack of conditioning for what I was trying to do.  If you can connect with dtoce I think that would be ideal. I miss his posts, excellent runner and, from what I hear, an outstanding medical professional.

tomwhite, so glad I made you proud! I did get to the pool after work since I missed the lunchtime window. 33 minutes of moderate effort pool running. Oh boy, oh boy. 

Jay, the lack of snow in Willow this year (down in what we call "the valley" and includes Wasilla, Palmer, Willow, Houston, etc) isn't due to melting. It just didn't get the typical snow load. I think Anchorage did, and we got above average here, but some trail conditions in the valley area are really bad, hence the restart in Fairbanks. We got those mushers off with clear sunny skies, lots of fresh snow and temps had warmed up to about -20 I think by the time they started at 11 a.m. (that was up from the mid-minus-30's earlier in the morning).

Back to the pool today. Foot is feeling better but not great. I've come to wonder what exactly is ailing it since the hallmark of PF is that heel pain in the morning, and I don't have that. I actually feel ok in the morning, and the arch feels like it gets a bit inflammed and more sore as the day wears on. Strange. Not going to see a doc about it (yet) because I'm sure they'll say "stay off it and cross train for a few weeks," which is what I'm doing.

Back to the pool today. Foot is feeling better but not great. I've come to wonder what exactly is ailing it since the hallmark of PF is that heel pain in the morning, and I don't have that. I actually feel ok in the morning, and the arch feels like it gets a bit inflammed and more sore as the day wears on. Strange. Not going to see a doc about it (yet) because I'm sure they'll say "stay off it and cross train for a few weeks," which is what I'm doing.

Yeah. What Erika said. Though every time I sit down on my pitty pot, I think of Leslie. Sorry about your PITA girl.  And the pool running? Sorry Tom, not my idea of a good time

Hi Ribs! We miss you! And I'm sorry to hear about your cramping problems. Circulation is one thing I thought of.  Like Kevin mentioned, did you try compression socks? Good luck finding a cardiologist that runs. And stop in more often, ok?

I hope today was a little easier Norm.

Love this forum. There's always so many interesting twists and turns. People getting kicked out of bars, people IN bars seeing weird things, trees struck by lightning, dogs driving trucks. Ya just never know what the day will bring

60 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the rower and 20 minutes of weights and core this morning. This is a recording....this is a recording....this is a recording....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

As happened to me, "The Way of the Runner" book marj recommended

mentions the sore calves from switching from heel-striking to mid/fore-foot landings.

However, it doesn't happen in only a half mile, certainly not for someone

like the great one who's been doing it all his life.  Good luck.

After yesterday's first sunny day of the month, back to normal

with five so opposite-of-sunshine miles that. afterwards, I had to wring

the sopping oos out of my gloves, . . . and most of me too.

Good thing I like running more than I care about the weather.

Going into Mary Joyce's smokey Top Hat Bar while peddling

newpapers in my youth, I had to jump to get out of the way

when Mary literally broke an umbrella over an unruly patron.

Probably would have been a gun nowadays.

No wonder I don't drink.  Whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

For Ribs, from Tribee, with plenty of disclaimers:

After noting that a guy with your medical history probably shouldn't be getting medical advice from the interwebs....

"Having said that, he should consider seeing a vascular surgeon (different than a cardiologist), and probably sooner rather than later. Worst case scenario is that it could be some sort of blood clot(s). I think clots are one potential adverse outcome of stents, which is why he is on the blood thinners.

Some triathletes on my board have described similar symptoms with iliac and/or femoral artery endofibrosis--again a vascular issue, but much more rare than clots.

Does Spareribs experience the same symptoms with other forms of exercise? What happens with cycling or pool running? Knowing that could help with the differential diagnosis. It's possible it could be something as simple as calf muscle tears. Also, I seem to remember (from my mom's experience with statins) that muscle pain could continue for six months or longer after discontinuation of the statin.

My thoughts, not to be confused with medical advice. The only think I'm sure about is that I would not fool around with it."

Hope you get it figured out, Ribs.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, that's too funny! Reminds me of going through that book we have when you were here. My son was mortified to come home and see what we were giggling about.

Yup, many giggles.  You know what they say, "What happens in Fairbanks, stays in Fairbanks." 

I have worked 21 hours in two days.  Yup, hoping for a relaxing trip this weekend.  More tomorrow, and then Thursday is just work, relax and pack. We will be heading to the airport at 3:30am Friday morning.  Sure wish someone would clean my house for me, though.

DD seems to really be doing well with lacrosse, and tonight was called to practice with the varsity team - the only freshman.  I am excited to see how much she is enjoying it, and look forward to seeing her play (I have never seen a lacrosse match).

Re: phone - I give out my number to too many clients, and so do not answer unrecognized numbers after regular work hours until I check the voicemail.  Truth be told, I make a lot of client calls in the evenings, but I pick and choose who is the priority and who can wait until business hours.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Ribs - I agree with contacting Dale and your sports medicine dr. I also Tribee's advice about seeing a vascular surgeon and not letting this go - something isn't right so stay on top of it -- as I'm sure you will. Hope you have answers soon.

((C-R))

((Leslie)) I can totally empathize right now as I am climbing the walls not running!!

Not really sure what is going on -- seeing a PT who does dry needling and works with a lot of athletes. She is also a marathon runner. I really was hopeful to start running, but as soon as I tried in the gym where she works, it was clearly a no go. She said my mobility and strength is improving, but she is thinking this isn't a quad strain or hip flexor issue like we first thought. So back to more mobility, strength, core, balance yada yada yada. I am not happy but trying to remember to be very thankful for the health I have!!

In good news, my swim and bike workouts were both very strong today!!

Hugs to all who want and/or need them.

TwoCat - I am not feeling very hopeful for Rosie this year. I need to get healthy and stay healthy to do a 1/2 Iron this summer and then MCM end of October. :-(

denise

SteveP

I hope your mom’s services did her justice, C-R.

My thoughts and prayers have been with you through out the day.

Ribs, a number of us have tackled the muscle pain issue. All with varying degrees of success. I've had good results with knee braces and compression gear. I'm still slower. This week, I've started topical analgesic rubs and we'll see how that goes......maybe something like:

"See Ribs...

See Ribs rub.....

Rub Ribs! Rub!".

Stumpy, lets hope history doesn't repeat it'self.

I could tell you some bar stories of The Hub . . . and they're all true.

mine are too.

I'm glad today is in the history books.

SteveP

Me, too. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance