Masters Running

Monday bike rides no lightning Netherlands (Read 51 times)

Henrun

today we bike from Gouda to Leiden.   Yesterday was Rotterdam area to Gouda.  Lots of windmills, birds, ducks, CANALS, cyclists, and some runners.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

marj

Hi all I just saw where Dave 59 was wondering where I am. Running just a little  now I did do a10 k Saturday run like a wildebeest though it was more of trotting like a hippo. This was my longest run of yr. dw and ds 2 both graduate from u of m flint next Sunday. No more tuition yes I am working too much now to run on regular basis, between Gm  and the kids houses I work eighty hrs a week . Kids bought us tickets to Europe this summer so will go to Germany to see where I was born. That's all for now run long.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

2.1 recovery miles, plus some core work.

Am I the only one who manages to GAIN 2 lbs the weekend of a marathon?  Angry

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lots of early risers this morning!

Marj, it seems that you and Henry are having a wonderful trip. It's great that you are getting out and seeing the sights by bike.

Welcome back, MD. Congrats on your 10K/long run on Saturday, as well as for DW and DS graduating next week - it'll be nice to have those tuition payments gone. Cool that the kids are sending you to Germany! It should be fascinating to go back to where you were born.

Holly, it's great that you took in the whole marathon experience. Your running will quickly take care of that extra couple of pound (which were probably Mike's fault anyway...). Have a good trip to Atlanta. I also agree you should sign up for Presque Island (which at first confused me because there is a Presque Isle in Maine).

Congrats on your 10K PR, Tramps!

your quads will recover quickly, Mike, but you'll have great memories of the race and the weekend for a long time.

TomW - it's a good idea not to do anything outdoors in a full blown thunderstorm! I'm glad you learned that lesson safely.

Have a good week in St.L, Ribs. I hope you get some running in while you're working.

Good to see you posting, Tall. Seems you are in a good place for now with your running - keep it up.

I'll bet you were the best cheerleader, MS!

Thanks for volunteering at Mt. Si, Enke.

Nice prize for the 10K, Rochrunner!

Nice running double, Troy.

Gorgeous photo, Mariposai!

The weather was gorgeous for yesterday's half in Rye, NH: mid-upper 40s, slight breeze, good sun. The walkers started half an hour before the runners. I was going to take it easy since I had missed a week of training a weeks ago, and this last week wasn't all that great either. I hung back a little at the start, but it came quickly apparent that most of the walkers were strollers, and no one was going out to actually race this thing. So I passed everyone and was on my own in about a quarter mile. Two women with walker bibs ran past me at around 1.5 miles, and one said she had 'permission' to run from the RD. Odd... I used them to pace me for quite a while, since their pace was a scooch quicker than mine. They'd walk after each water stop, and I'd pass them every time. The lead runners caught up to me at about 6.25 miles, and so I had runners to key off of from then on. I had couple of left hip twinges around mile 11-12, but otherwise felt OK. I tried to muster a sprint from mile 12 to the finish, but there wasn't much juice left. My pacing was reasonably consistent, ranging from 10:59 to 11:20. I finished in 2:27, which was acceptable. Rather than an award ceremony, they had a table for picking up awards. I figured the first walker would get something, so I wandered over. Then I learned that the walking division was "non-competitive," and so there were no awards for any walkers. I'm only disappointed that I didn't know that going into the race. So I later sent an email to the RD to suggest that they communicate that clearly in the future. So it goes...

Today was a SRD, so I did some stretching and core work, and expect to be back on the roads tomorrow.

Enjoy your Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning good people. Sounds like an awesome trip Marj. I hope you're taking lots of pictures so you can post them when you get home.

Nice to see your post this morning Derrick. It sounds like you've got a lot going on lately. Congrats to your DW and DDs for their upcoming graduation. I hope you got a family discount by having three enrolled at one time Smile

Sorry there was no award waiting for you Jay. Seems like you should have gotten one. How's your back these days?

Congrats to all our races last weekend - Carolyn, Tribee, Tramps, Holly, Mike, and anyone else I'm missing. And Holly? Don't even complain about 2 lbs. I'm sure that's water weight and it will be gone tomorrow. Wait until you get the "dreaded spread" after menopause.  I work out 6 days a week running, cycling, swimming, weights, elipticalling and I can't believe how my body has changed. And not in a good way either.

Spent the day working in the yard yesterday. I cleaned out my little pond and refilled it with nice clean water. Then, had the kids over for a cookout last night. It took Ben (just turned 2) exactly 5 MINUTES to get out in the back yard and fall in it. We laughed so hard! It's a good thing grandma keeps extra clothes for those guys on hand. He was soaked!

30 minutes on the eliptical and 30 minutes of weights this morning. Still dealing with a crap hamstring. Anyone got some good remedies??

...thanks for the tips and advise yesterday,

============

when I was growing up, my Dad used to tell us

''You Pick your WorkOut Days,

and

God gets to pick  Your Weather''

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which is why I  Ran in that HailStorm .

While CommonSease

is usually a GoodThing.........it's hard to Skip a WorkOut

although SuddenDeath is a Strong Arguement in favor of that CommonSense Stuff

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...jylnne//.........here's a VERY good hamstring brace

http://www.mmbrace.com/cmobraces/thighsupports/cmo-hamlock-hamstringsupport.htm

also,

you could get   BAD hamstring brace,

and make the same thing with 3-velcro straps

(I'm into Straps these days)

hope it helps

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Jay--that's what I ran for my first half.  I was in theory running the whole way.  The walking I did in the last three miles did NOT match yours in any way.

Yesterday was the most disappointing 10 miles I think I've ever done.  Mostly because it was supposed to be 18.  All because the little sore spot on the outside of my left foot went from "a little sore" to "why are you even thinking about running?" at about mile 7.  Now I've got to figure out if it's something I can baby for a few days or if I need to get into the doc's and find out why. Sad  Bleh.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Just a quick post as I'm heading to Florida for work for a few days.

Great running and racing. Too many to call out but WTG Masters.

Hen - that sounds like such a great vacation.

Holly - I always seem to gain after a marathon. Not sure why but its a two day blip and goes away. I'm sure yours will too.

Jay - Cool

I'm with you Stumpy - I had two days of nada when I should have had lotsa. Oh well at least there was some miles.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sorry about your foot Stumpy.  I hope it's nothing to be concerned about.

Nice job on the race Holly, Mike, Tramps, and TriBee (and anyone else I may have missed).

I had to laugh at Erika  saying she "was so sweaty" at the end of her run in San Antonio.  Well, yeah!  But now that I think about it, maybe she never sweats in Alaska.  Sorta makes sense actually.

8 fairly sproinky miles this morning at 9 min/mile pace.  No paper bag needed for this one.  The cutback week last week did what it was supposed to do.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Am I the only one who manages to GAIN 2 lbs the weekend of a marathon?  Angry

Holly,

During RAGBRAI I will bike over 500 miles. I usually gain about 5 pounds that week. My diet for that week consist primarily of homemade pie and beer.

Looks like you guys had a great time!

My internet was down for a couple of days so I'm a bit behind.

There sure was a lot of good racing:Holly, Mike, Tramps, Tribee, wild, mari and DH, derrick (and "hi"), and Jay.  Tomw, biking when there's lightning sounds scary.  If you're caught away from home when it starts, I don't know what else you can do, though.  henrun and marj, neat scenic bike riding.  mari, what a beautiful scene.

Nice long runs for wc, Dave, mari (including race), lynden, rhoon, and stumpy.

Yesterday morning, it was in the high 40s and almost calm.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:38 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Paavo, nice hilly long run yesterday, even if you ran out of gas before the end.  Did you take food and water with you?
                            Enke, good job with the volunteering yesterday.  If you want to volunteer to put a team together for the Mt Si relay, I'd come!
                            Doug, congrats on the bonus $50 for your race!
                            Tomwhite, good luck inflating your bike tires!  Smile Good to see you posting, too!  You always make me smile.
                            Posie, beautiful hike yesterday!
                            Henrun and Marj - we need pictures of your trip!  Sounds wonderful!
                            Good to see Derrick and Tallrunner popping in!
                            Holly, Step AWAY from the scale!  Clearly if you can run a marathon, you're in awesome shape.  I have no idea if I gain or lose weight after running a marathon, since I don't weigh myself.  I recommend it.
                            Jay, congrats on first place walker, even if you didn't get an award!  You're up there on the RA masters podium, right where you belong!
                            Jeanne, funny that little Ben fell in the pond in 5 minutes!  Good luck with the hamstring.
                            Kevin, bummer about the sore foot.  Hope it's nothing serious.

For those of you not on FB, here are a couple of pictures from my 50k on Saturday.  It was a small race - there were only  3 women in my AG (50-99) and there were 68 runners total.   But I wasn't cherry picking the race so I'd win something -  I just like small races!  I'm still excited about winning grand masters female - that probably won't happen very often if ever again!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Thanks for all the nice comments about my marathon.  I still hurt!

Congratulations, wild!

Tomwhite--you're not the only person who has trouble with those dang tire pumps.  I went and bought another one after dealing with the first one for so long...and the new one isn't much better.

Okay--that's all the time I have right now--see ya!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Congrats to all our races last weekend - Carolyn, Tribee, Tramps, Holly, Mike, and anyone else I'm missing.

Opie too, right? Yes, congrats to everyone!! I ran a 5k on Sunday in 25:19, which is now my second-to-fastest 5k. So what's that called, PR runner up?? Wink Also got 1st AG which I was pleased about, but considering it was mostly a young person's race... am I the only one who feels guilty for inadvertently cherry-picking their races? Eh, I got a nice pint glass for my efforts and I supported a friend's cause by participating in the race. And it was a hilly one too!

Final laundry and preliminary packing has begun for my weekend's travels. Flying out to Denver early Friday morning, and will be running the Colorado Marathon on Sunday. For all that I'm stressing over this race, I can't imagine a better birthday present to myself. Smile

Enjoy!