Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 12.5.17 (Read 40 times)

5 total miles, a little speed-ish work because I felt like it.

1 mile at regular pace (8:00-8:15) then 8 in/out half miles (3:05-3:15/4:00-4:15). Felt good.

I enjoyed the microclimates today; it was 73 degrees (!) where I parked at Pt Richmond, and there were pockets of sub-60 degree air on the route, and then blasts of heat in places. Perfectly still in the last hour before sunset. It was really nice. made me want to run fast.

All the animals in my life have been found on the street, or from a animal rescue place (one dog). There is never a shortage of animals that need homes. I like having animals around, but we don't have a good support network of friends here, so it's hard to coordinate care when we want to travel. Cats are easy, a box of food and a big litterbox and you can go away for 3-4 days without worry. The dog needs companionship, and if we left a 10lb bag of food out she'd eat all of it within an hour (she weighs about 20lbs). She often comes along when we go to Oregon to visit my Mom. I'm torn about having animals in that golden era of kids being launched and still being able to do physical stuff. Absolutely going to have animals during the slow decline to the abyss after 70-75.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

TOOTH

Taper day for molar extraction tomorrow.

No. 18 on the lower left back just opposite

where right side one went missing in 2009.

DOGS AND CATS

Dog person here.

Raised the kids with dogs so was surprised when DD ended up with a cat in the house with GS who, if I had anything to say about it, would be raised as a dog guy too.  However, having once expressed my opinion about cats to DD, . . . fortunately when GS was not around, . . . I never say anything negative about cats anymore.  Actually, it's great so many people like cats, . . . or else they'd be about as popular as sku, . . . whoops, there I go again.

TREKKING POLES

...here's an Idea for tramps//...........just be sure to put your weight on the poles or canes.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking

excellent tom

I'd've rather been seen in running shoes than with trekking poles, . . . until I saw a video of so many runners in a mountain series in British Columbia with them and our friend francesca from Boomer days started using them at the annual Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run with almost a kilometer of ascents so steep that more than 200 wooden plank retainers had been dug into the steeps just to get up to the top of the two daunting hills on each of the two mile laps around the perimeter of Carkeek Park.

When I tried them, and found out how they help push you up over each step and up the hills thereby greatly supplementing leg power, each lap was two-to-three minutes faster than without. Funny how shoulders are more tired than legs afterwards.

TRAIL WAL..., I MEAN, RUNNING

Come to the Dark Side (trail running) . . . walking is allowed and we get to eat real food during races. 

=Leslie/Leslie!

bad girl!

I saw that!

what are you thinking?

Have you forgotten the trail runners code of secrecy?
      Please edit ASAP so it’s clear that walking is allowed on steep and narrow trails full of dangerous roots, rocks, and other erratics, windfalls to climb over, often muddy and slippery suraces, having fallen snags across trail bang certain runners in the forehead <<<(that would be me)>>>, bloody knees <<<(me, . . . and everyone else too)>>>, hallucinating in the all-night darkness or inadvertently stepping off the trail into the void, rivers to ford, wild animals howling scaring the holy double toothpicks out of you, ghosts, etc.  

We don’t want anyone to get the impression, do we?, . . . that those of who can barely perform at an 18-20m/m pace even if it's flat'll still get a hero’s welcome because walking all the way is usually well within the generous cut-off times.  Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

5.5 miles, or more like 5.6 if you adjust for Garmin's idiosyncrasies of me starting across the street in another parking lot and cutting across a field... Included three hill repeats of about .25 mile, turning around before it got really steep, then back to my office. Nice temps and trying to decide when to take a day off this week... Ah, runner problems.