Masters Running

The "I Can't Think of a Catchy Title" Weekly Weigh-In Thread (Read 458 times)

I guess I'm lucky in that alcohol is not a temptation.  I might have a glass of wine once or twice a month.  This past weekend I went crazy and had one Friday AND one Saturday!  My body doesn't metabolize it well anymore, and I usually end up with a headache.  It's just not worth it.  I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.

Re fat relatives/friends telling us we're too skinny.  I love The Hub, but he is a good 50-60 lbs overweight.  He's always telling me I eat like a bird and that irritates me.  Yes, compared to how he eats, I eat like a bird.  Compared to what should be normal portion sizes, I'm just about right on (thank you, Weight Watchers).

[step on soapbox]

It annoys me when, if I mention that I need to lose a few pounds, people get a disgusted look.  My retort: Pick up 5-10 lbs. of sugar.  Now go run with it.  How comfortable is that?  That's the extra weight I'm carrying around now and wasn't a year ago.  And when people say something like, "Oh, you don't have to watch what you eat.  You run.  You're skinny."  (1) Yes, I do have to watch what I eat.  Running doesn't burn that many calories.  It was hard work getting rid of the 20+ lbs when I started and it's not easy keeping it off; (2) I'm not a "naturally" skinny person.  Refer to #1, please.

[step off soapbox]

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

.........hmmm

seems to have hit a nerve there fatozzig//............put the Fire Ax down or we will be forced to call Security....

the non-runners just DON'T get it.

been eating FiberOne Cereals two suppers a week, very filling and hopefully helping.

since I weight once a month,

I won't know til July.......

and sometimes I didn't want to know in July.

til then I can Delude myself the pants are feeling looser.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

.........hmmm

seems to have hit a nerve there fatozzig//............put the Fire Ax down or we will be forced to call Security....

Was it that obvious?? 

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

I love the ones who say "You're so lucky to be skinny!"

A) I'm not "skinny" (a word that has a "sickly" connotation in my mind)

B) "Luck" has nothing to do with it; I work my a$$ off to try to maintain, with varying degrees of success throughout the year.

The other ones say "how do you do it?" Like they're looking for tips. Heh. I reply "I don't eat fried food. I don't drink soda. I don't eat ice cream. I gave up almost all sweets (except chocolate). I run 40-50 miles a week most weeks, do other cardio on non-run days and lift weights." What I want to say is "Don't tell me you can't lose weight or get in shape until you live my life for a month and have no results. Then maybe I'll believe you."

I gave up almost all sweets (except chocolate). "

+1

Hi, my name is Scott, and I'm a chocoholic....

Marathon Maniac #957

[step on soapbox]

It annoys me when, if I mention that I need to lose a few pounds, people get a disgusted look.  My retort: Pick up 5-10 lbs. of sugar.  Now go run with it.  How comfortable is that?  That's the extra weight I'm carrying around now and wasn't a year ago.  And when people say something like, "Oh, you don't have to watch what you eat.  You run.  You're skinny."  (1) Yes, I do have to watch what I eat.  Running doesn't burn that many calories.  It was hard work getting rid of the 20+ lbs when I started and it's not easy keeping it off; (2) I'm not a "naturally" skinny person.  Refer to #1, please.

[step off soapbox]

I totally understand where you're coming from here.  I'm 5' 1"-ish and built slight (no shoulders or hips) so any extra weight I get really shows.  Sure, I weigh 115, but my best healthy weight at this height and frame is about 107 (at one time I weighed 85 lbs, but spent many years at 100 even), and that big 5-lb sack of sugar I've stuffed into my shorts this winter isn't making my runs easier.  If I say I want to lose weight, people look at me and say, "but you're so tiny."  But being tiny doesn't mean I don't have a pot belly.

And running 50 miles/week doesn't mean I get to eat anything I want, either.  I still eat like a bird compared to most people.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi, my name is Scott, and I'm a chocoholic....

I used to not be a real sweets eater, but in the past year I've become more of one.  I'm blaming it on pre-menopause.

Holly - It's my pot belly that gets to me the most,too, and I've never stretched it beyond normal dimensions with child birth.  That's where most of my weight settles, as with most women.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

sweets are not an issue for me its the salty snacks that I over do. Air popped popcorn  saves me but the salt I pour on I am sure is as big a problem.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

mrpat

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted to this site in a while, but I have been lurking on this thread because I am also trying to lose some poundage. I hope it is OK for me to join in. Short story, In the beginning of 2008 my running time had to be reduced but my diet stayed the same. So the weight slowly but surely increased. About two months, ago after a number of false starts, I began reducing my intake and running a bit more. As a result I am down 11 pounds from a high of 181. My immediate goal is 155 but ultimately hope to reach 145 -150. 

Patrick

Welcome, Patrick.  I think it helps to lay your goals out in a public forum such as this.  We're all so good about saying, "Hey! Put down the candy, the wine," whatever a person's handicap may be.  We don't hold one another accountable, but we do try to give each other direction if we think someone is asking.  Right, peeps?  Right?   Seriously, though, you never know when someone might say something they've tried and it just clicks with you.

Right now I'm trying to wrap my mind around the idea of no sugar or fried foods for at least a month to see how that works (per  Erika).  The only place the sugar thing wouldn't work is when I'm running trails.  Things like Clif Mojo Bars , chocolate donuts, and fudge covered graham crackers go a long way toward fueling me, and I can't give those up.  Although, I need to go back to eating turkey/avo sandwiches or wraps.  Lots of carbs/calories in a healthier treat.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

..... but we do try to give each other direction if we think someone is asking.  Right, peeps?  Right?  

nope,

I'm blaming Society.......

........welcome patrick//........you've done this before,

so

you Know the Drill......

.....just use that Hard Won  WillPower of yours....

Good Luck to ya.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

We're all so good about saying, "Hey! Put down the wine," 

Hey yourself!

dg.

til then I can Delude myself the pants are feeling looser.

a quick tip.... never wash them.    

Smile