Masters Running

Race Reports for the 5/19&20 weekend (Read 22 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our intrepid racers great fun!!!

05/19 Coastwalker - Get Fit in May 5K, Exeter, NH

05/19 Quickadder Contraband 5 Mile, Lake Charles, La

All Masters racers are welcome to post their race report here!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Hi,

I jumped into the Get Fit In May 5K in Exeter, NH today because it was the first opportunity to race in my new AG. There isn't a walking division in this race, so I was just there for the fun of it.

A couple of days ago, the forecast was for rainshowers this morning. But instead it was cool (low 50s), breezy, and sunny, which was great. I wore black shorts, my grey Granite State Racewalkers s/s shirt, orange cap and my yellow Topo ST2s. There are a lot of young kids running with their parents in this race, so I had to do some dancing around in the first half mile to avoid knocking over any of the kids. After that, it was fine. The course is pretty flat, except for a downhill and then a 3/10ths of a mile or so steep uphill just before the finish. As usual, I keyed in on a few runners and passed most, but not all of them. I guess I needed to be a little faster to reel them all in. My official time was 32:57, and I had 32:46 on my watch. There wasn't a start mat, so the difference is how long it took me to get to the start line, where I started my watch. I finished 2/5 in my AG, which was decent for a walker in a running race. I had someplace else I had to get to right after the race, and so didn't stay around to see what (if anything) I might have won.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

spinach

I ran another race today, The Willmar Noon Lions Walk, Run &Wag 5k. It actually was a long course more like 3.4 miles. The great thing of this race was I ran it with my dog Archie. It was his second race, he race another similar race last year and he has won this race both times.  Our time was 24:30 and we won by several minutes, quite similar to last year when we had a several minute lead.

The race was pretty good although it was a chilly day, the temperature was in the low 50s, with no sun and strong winds. it was their first race as a way to raise some money for the dog park in Willmar, MN and to raise some money for the Humane society there.I think they had a real good organized race for their first effort. I applaud them. The one minor problem was that the route was a little complicated. They had people at most of the intersections where we turned but there was one trail we ran through a park and there was a fork in trail but nobody nor any sign indicating which way to go. It looked like one trail would go back to a road we already ran on so i took the other fork and that was correct.

They had various expos for pet stuff and we got our lunch at the race.  A nice day and i am looking forward for next year when i hope the day will be a bit warmer.

Quickadder

Contraband 5 miler - 5/19/18

Yesterday I fully expected to record my first ever DNS today. I asked DD if she would like me to try and pace her to a sub-60, but she decided that was not going to happen due to the heat and humidity. In the end she chose to watch the royal wedding instead 😗

Woke up early, feeling somewhat better than the past two days but still with some discomfort in my neck and shoulder. Decided to try and run and see what happened. Started towards the back of the field and slowly eased into running. First mile was 9:10 but uncomfortable. Any heavy footfall hurt my shoulder and I could not turn my head to the right. Slowed the pace and walked the water stops and kept close to a 10 minute pace for the rest of the race.

Finished in 49:32.8, way off last year’s PR time of 42:59, but avoided a DNS or DNF. 121/222 overall and 8/11 in M60-69. Top 2 in my AG finished just under and just over 34 minutes!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Well done, folks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."