Masters Running

Tuesday, 09 June 2009. Running and happiness! (Read 379 times)

evanflein

PBJ, losing weight, running marathons, whatever it's all the same. The trick is to make it to the finish in one piece!

Good luck with the negotiations, Leslie. I've worked inflexible public sector jobs for almost 20 years so have no idea how to do that. You get what you get if you want the job, that's my life.

Mary! What a doll that puppy is. How nice of her new family to send you updates!

I didn't run yesterday, figured I wouldn't but always have that hopeful "2-3 mile recovery run or XT" on my schedule. Bah. After this weekend (soccer tournament in Anchorage), driving home late Sunday night and getting in at 2 a.m., then being at work by 11 and working till 5, I was wrung out. A big bowl of popcorn and cold white wine sounded so much better than a sweaty tired run. Good call, I'd say.

We have forest fire smoke in the valley today. That was an icky surprise when I got up! But the air quality is still considered "good" so I'll RAL today.

dg.

thanks Sue!   I was just going to ask you about your poor hand.    did you say how it was before & I missed it?      I've been thinking before I posted.   You know that can't be good!

I could use some advice.    This could either be really long or really short... I'll try for short.  How long a training plan do you think I need training for my first marathon?   I'm in week 6... but stopped this morning after a mile & a half... things just hurt too much.   I'm bummed but that's a waste of energy.  I think I still have time, but not if I don't do this right.   I've been trying to do that!  Just not very successfully.  The Marathon is Oct. 18.      

MTA....  Mary, I think you should keep posting puppy pictures for Sue!  Smile

Happy Birthday Amie! 

Happy Birthday Joe B!    

good choice Erika.  sounds good right now.  'course, so does Amie's ice cream sandwich....

Bill, quicker than you?  impossible. 

evanflein

Deb, maybe you could build a step-back week in there, or repeat the last week if that was a step back. Usually you increase miles every couple of weeks, and then step back a week. At week 6, you've got plenty of time. And if you miss a run here and there, it's not the end of the plan. I think I read somewhere that most plans assume you'll miss a certain percentage of the runs, maybe 5% or so? Don't recall. The long runs are the most important, so don't skimp on those. But if you need a break on a mid-week shorter run, take it.
          A friend who is a sometimes runner is looking for web sites to obtain a good running program.  Besides pointing her here to RA, any other suggestions?

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg. For an October 18 marathon?  Stop worrying!  You have more than enough time to train up, assuming your goal is to start and finish.  Winning?  That would be a bit tougher at this point. 

Let me see if I have this right.  Teresadfp lives in a state that puts "Vacation Land" on its license plates, and wildchild lives in a place people spend thousands of dollars to fly to and stay a week.  So to quote from wildchild yesterday, "You're right, Teresa - we have to put up with long winters, so we shouldn't feel guilty about having nice summers.  Erika, too."  Am I missing something here?    As to, evanflein yep you are entitled to whatever break you get in the summer!  Whatever Alaska's charms may be winter does not seem to be one of them!  Brrrrr.

I did my first double in a long time!  Err, not running silly!  This morning was an hour of PT and this afternoon 10 minutes on the elliptical and then 5 walking backwards on the TM.  lol  Life just does not get more exciting than that!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It's the end of the day, so just about time to post this morning's run (loosely defined). 

last night I ended up in bed at least an hour later than planned--DW was taking my Mom home (about 2 hours away) after she visited for DD's graduation.  Our van made it about 1-1/2 hours before front suspension decided it didn't want to go any further.  So after getting towed off the Mass Pike and waiting many hours to get the van repaired, she made it home about 8 hours later than expected.  I figured I owed her at least the extra hour of talking and decompression time .

it was supposed to rain both this morning and tomorrow morning, so I had decided if it wasn't today, I'd go out.  When the alarm went off at 4:45, and it wasn't raining, I got out of bed, but there wasn't a lot of waking up involved.  Nothing woke up the whole run except for my GI tract, about a mile and a hlaf into the run.  felt like crap the rest of the trip and even ended up walkign in the last .6 miles.  So 2.7 miles of running at slower pace than normal and just blech  after.  And now there's not much chance of rain tomorrow--go figure.  Oh well, it's done.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, cute puppy picture!
                Rose, happy birthday to your DS!  They do grow up fast, don't they?  
                Tramps, I don't know how you managed 7 miles on a treadmill at 12% incline!  I didn't even know treadmills could go that steep - don't some of them only go to 10%?  Just curious - why do you do your Mt Washington training on the treadmill? You have hills in your area, don't you? Maybe not 7 mile long hills, but you could still do a good hill workout outside.
                Sue, you walked to the gym to do a bike ride???  Why didn't you bike to the gym?

I did an easy 4 at lunchtime, 10:30 avg pace, 70° and cloudy. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Carolyn, I know nothing about TM's but the ones at the Y go up to 15%.  I tried a little at that incline and I literally started slipping "downhill," which seemed like an injury waiting to happen, so I'm back to 12%.

I run hills regularly, including my "hillypalooza" route which is a series of 200-250 foot hills.  But real hills are relatively short and then you get the wear-and-tear of the downhills.  In contrast, the TM allows me to simulate the relentless climb of Mt. Washington with no breaks and no downhill wear-and-tear.  I'm going very slowly though (13-minute miles, which is the best I can do) so it's really almost a power-walking strength workout .  I focus on the mental challenge and on form because the incline is so big that my toe starts to kick the belt if I don't lift my knees.  It's really, really boring though and I'm glad I've only got a couple of these sessions left.  I'm just trying to build some endurance and help ensure I don't get hurt during this "race."  But I also figure lots of hills early in my marathon training cycle can't hurt.  My one-month Y membership ends next week.  After Washington, I'll reduce hills and introduce some speedwork, which was been sorely lacking.  It's not something I'd recommend for any other reason than an all-uphill mountain race.

Be safe. Be kind.

Late post for an early run.  CNY, nice 5K, 2nd OA, within a run of 18.3 miles.  running smarter, good job on  a fast 10K.  teresa, that sounds fun running at Bar Harbor. Also, congrats to your son and his team.  deez, way to go on a nice 5K after a long work day.  Tramps, that was a serious hill run on the TM.

Nice long runs for ribs, wildchild (with hills), sue, and srlopez.  Good job on the speedwork for fatozzig (hill repeats.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and windy.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:19 for a 9:53 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Carolyn sure is full of questions today...

I RAL and it was sure nice to have most of the smoke cleared out! Looking very nice out there now. I ran 5.5 miles, similar run on the same route as two weeks ago, but today's run had an average pace of 8:19 vs. 8:50 a couple weeks ago for what I'd say is the same effort. Nice to feel like I'm getting my groove back a bit. Miles 4 and 5 today were 8:05 and 7:44, vs 8:40's a couple weeks ago. Nice to see improvement!

TammyinGP

Spent the day volunteering at my son's school for the last day of classes "Field Day" - had a very fun day with all the kids and even got in a 6.5 mile run during their lunch hour when we breaked from field day activities.

And now my son is a  4th grader and went through the entire 3rd grade year with straight A's while working above his grade level in math and reading. Very proud of him.

Tammy

bummed - 2 days with no running --- work schedule was nuts -- went in this morning at 5am went straight thru til 3p with no real break.........i am beyond exhausted - fell asleep for a tiny bit before a school meeting tonight -- going to bed now and hope i sleep 12 hours!!  (like that's going to happen!)

plan for tomorrow -- sleep late then longish run before going back for another fun 12 hour night shift!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hiya all. Bill, thank you so very much, as you made me feel much better and gave me a big "lift" for the day....you are an awesome Man and runner! After my weekend runs, my Quads are very very sore. (Mon) I fast walked 5 miles which made my legs feel much better. Tonight, I ran 7 easy miles at 8:51 pace. Track workout within a long run tomorrow night, which I love and look forward to (grins) Tim BTW, Seattle plans are on, thanks to a VERY special person we all love!

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!