Masters Running

Good Nutrition "New Start" for week ending 1/20/07 (Read 469 times)

i need a new start for sure...........didn't eat so great in Disney but not horrible either - guess thats to be expected - short term goal - drop 5lbs by Hyannis 1/2 end of february!! happy tuesday!!

denise

Up a pound today, to 177. That's OK--yesterday I had a 3-pound drop from the day before, and I knew that wasn't realistic. Nobody loses 3 pounds in one day without surgery, unless maybe s/he is running a marathon or an ultra. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      evanflein

So Holly, how'd you do? Got fingergrip marks in your desk still? I starved this morning... I hate missing breakfast, not even coffee! Got the blood draw done that I've been avoiding for over a year. Should have results by the end of the day. Funny, I feel like I'm in competition with myself to improve over last time... and those numbers were great! I really need to learn to back off....

Marathon Maniac #957

So Holly, how'd you do? Got fingergrip marks in your desk still? I starved this morning... I hate missing breakfast, not even coffee! ....
          I HATE fasting blood work. I have the coffee pot programmed to brew before I get up, and the first thing I do is have a lovely mug of coffee with flavored creamer. Ahhhhh...yummmm...you don't want to see me when I can't have my coffee in the morning... Angry As for last night, I ended up having a slice of bread with a smear of peanut butter on it - prolly 1700 calories for the day, a little too much for a non-running day, but I DID run 10 miles this morning, so if I do okay today I'll be okay. I'm sitting here at work eating raw cabbage sliced really thin....you know I'm getting serious when I'm munching on raw cabbage... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, have you tried the Orowheat whole wheat english muffins? 130 calories and pretty satisfying, I think. Got my numbers... Kewl. TC 178, HDL 100, LDL 62, triglycerides 35 and my "ratio" was 1.78. The nurse was most impressed. I feel like I won something. Yeah!
              Still 177 pounds this morning. That's OK with me. I'd be very happy to lose a pound a week. Slow progress is OK as long as it's steady. E. VanFlein, congratulations on your good numbers. Dark Horse

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice numbers, Erika! I'm feeling discouraged. Yesterday I ran 10 miles, ate 2000 calories, and gained a pound. My maintenance caloric intake is about 1600 calories on non-running days, and I ws trying to hold to that yesterday in the interest of dropping weight, but I was so hungry all day that I ended up eating more. It didn't seem like too much. Drat! If I can't eat a little more when I run long, what's the fargin' point?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Now Holly, you know you didn't gain "a pound" of what we dread (the F word). It's most likely water weight. You'll balance out and probably be right back where you started. (sorry, I know you were hoping I'd say down... but that just doesn't seem to happen--for me at least!) I celebrate the dips, and grumble at the peaks, but when all is said and done, I don't seem to go anywhere. Sort of like running on a treadmill...
                    I don't seem to go anywhere. Sort of like running on a treadmill...
                    grrr Dark Horse
                      Nice cholesterol #'s Evanflein! I'm glad my endocrinologist doesn't insist on much fasting blood work. And the thought of no coffee is enough to ... well ... I don't know, but it's not good Shocked. Holly, do you weigh every day? That would drive me (more) bonkers. I keep forgetting to weigh at the gym on the good scale, but I did step on my home scale this morning, and was at 134. I know I was at 137 a couple of weeks ago on that same scale. I've been sick and not running or lifting much over that time period, so I fear it is more a loss of muscle than of the "f" word. I cut out my evening wine as of last night, but did have a bowl of popcorn after dinner. I've also gotten back to logging my blood sugar reading, carbohydrate grams and insulin doses. I'm a Type 1 diabetic utilizing an insulin pump, so keeping that log is a good thing. My log also includes a record of what I eat and when I exercise, but I haven't added calorie counting to the mix just yet. Baby steps Smile
                      Progress Trumps Pefection

Marathon Maniac #957

Carol - no, I don't weigh every day, more like twice a week usually. If I think the number is going to be especially bad, I wait a few days to get on the scale when I feel less bloated. But the other day I got on the scale when I felt un-bloated and still got a larger number than I expected. I'll try again tomorrow.

I've been working out pretty hard this week, and yesterday I didn't eat a lot. This morning I got up feeling hungry and skinny and light. I got on the scale thinking, "I'll show those ladies who the King of Weight Loss is." Still 177 pounds, same as yesterday and the day before. Dark Horse
                            Ah Holly, I must have had you confused with Dark Horse and his quest for weight loss royalty Confused Do you guys ever watch Biggest Loser? I have mixed feelings about it. It's inspiring to see folks making such dramatic changes, both physically, and mentally. But it is very misleading in terms of what most of us can expect in terms of weekly weight loss. It also makes it look like working out has to be absolute torture in order to be effective, which seems like it would scare some folks from even trying. Just my 2 cents, your thoughts?
                            Progress Trumps Pefection
                              Carol, one interesting note on that show. They determine how many calories a contestant takes in daily by multiplying their current weight by 6. At close to 200lbs that would have me consuming only 1200 calories in a day while working out for hours at a time. It makes the weight loss more impressive on tv but most of us have jobs, don't have a doctor standing by, etc. As for my weight loss I am holding steady at 199 this week, I must be on that same treadmill.
                                yikes - so at 135 that would mean eating only 810 calories plus all those workouts to lose weight?? i'd probably drop dead of exhaustion............i need to get better at counting calories - i watch what i eat but never really keep a running tally of calories - there's a sign at the gym that says something like "if you don't know how many calories you consume how are you going to consume less" i guess that makes sense my 7p-7a shift doesn't help either but i need to stop using that as an excuse..........today i was up at 6 with the boys, went back to bed after they left til 11:30 ...... so now drinking my black coffee, had small banana, 2TB peanut butter, one slice light wheat toast.........heading out for a 6 mile run (maybe a little more but not too much since i raced the 1/2 on saturday) and then will work tonight and tomorrow night i dropped 5lbs 3 years ago working this shift so i know i can do it - just have to keep reminding myself - small goals - start with 5lbs then work on the next 5. holly - do you think maybe you're at the right weight for you and the amount of running you do? maybe that's why your numbers don't change much.....from pics i've seen you look great but i know we all have different views of our own bodies and what we should weigh.

denise