Masters Running

advice for week before 1/2 (Read 201 times)

Next Saturday I will attempt to run my 4th 1/2, but the first one in two years. I've been training ok, but am wondering what to do for the countdown. The longest I've run during training over the last few months is 11.5 miles. I was planning to try 12 tomorrow, but it looks like we are going to be snowed in. I can hear a lot of you laughing who've been dealing w/ ice and snow all winter, but here in Tennessee we literally shut down if there is a dusting and we're expecting 3 inches! Surprised Anyway, should I try to run 12 tomorrow if the roads are clear? I can't do more than 4 on the TM w/out dying. Should I just run that and then try to run about 5 on Sunday? What about during the week? I know I can look at the myriad 1/2 training plans in my mags, but you guys are the real experts! Smile Helen
      Hi Helen. That's great you're doing a half after a few years off. I looked at your log and see that you've done several 11.5 mile runs consistently the past few weeks, so, yes, I would go ahead and run the 12 miles tomorrow. Or wait until Sunday for better roads? I know what you mean as far as things shutting down -- we get an inch in Seattle and it's all over the news. I also despise the TM like you. As far as next week, I would do what you have normally done during the week (looks like you're running just 2-3 other days) but either rest completely or run an easy 1-2 miles the day before the race. Personally, I like to completely rest the day before a race; some people feel stale or extra antsy if they don't run a couple of miles. Be sure to get in a warm-up before the race, too. Just 1/2-1 mile should be enough. Good luck!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Be sure to get in a warm-up before the race, too. Just 1/2-1 mile should be enough.
        soundi, that sounds like sound advice but kind of tough and extreme when 13.1 miles have to follow. Maybe you can show us the warm-up pace at this weekend's Mercer Island Half. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks Soundrunner; Snow is everywhere but I'm going to give it a try! Happy running today! - You're log is quite impressive Wink
            Good luck Helen!