Masters Running

40's 50's 60's and Beyond On the run w/e 8/30 (Read 388 times)

Ran 4.5, this morn, 1.6 with Dessa. My pace?? a blistering 19 min/mile as one of the downsides of living where you know most everybody that passes you on the road and they stop to visit.

You gotta remember to turn off yer Garmin during those visitin' times.

Joe - You seem to be doing really great with the barefooting.  I'm glad it's treating your body so well.

Hi!  to everyone else.

6 miles this a.m. w/strides.  There was a real heavy, low fog, and the humidity played havoc with my asthma.  Toward the end, I could tell that I did a lot of lower body yesterday, along with all the other physical activity throughout the day.  But we're almost there!  Two or three more good truck loads, and then we can begin the task of situating everything at the other office.  That'll take awhile since beginning next week I'll only be there 2 days a week.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi all,  I'm sucking wind with a summer cold, so the workouts are on the back burner.  But at least it explains why I've been feeling so out of whack.  It's been a really bad week for friends and family, so puts my cold woes in perspective.  Next week is jury duty in district court, first time in about 15 years.  Guess my number's up!

Jim and Lynda, glad you're working towards adjusting the 24X7 thing.  LOL on the pace, I have those too.  It's all about smelling the roses and chatting up the neighbors sometimes. 

Leslie, has your employer heard of something called....ummm...a moving company?

Arla, hope you're adjusting to the school schedule and able to check in on your mom.

Joe, you may need to enlist the aid of a hamster to help your mental training for that race.  Buddy likes the barefoot runs because that's his way too.  I'm sure he's glad you're finally catching on Smile.

Woods, nice progress you have made and sounds like you are movin' on up!

Stumpy, I'll complain with you about mowing ye olde suburban lawn.  It's all about the obstacles!

Ev, Cindy, and anyone else lurking????  Hellloooo out there!!!!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Leslie, has your employer heard of something called....ummm...a moving company?

Can you hear me laughing uproariously???  Don't get me started.  Today was almost the straw that broke the camel's back.  I'm so tired, it's beyond ridiculous.  Tomorrow - screw a workout.  I got tons of cross training today, so I'm sleeping in.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys.  I appreciate it.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well, it's "over."  We got everything moved, and I basically got all my stuff put away at my desk today.  Took some things over to my other job, as well.  Had the "Last Lunch" with the four of us, which was nice - - interesting.  The one attorney who has driven me nuts over the past 10 years gave me a card in which he wrote a really nice sentiment tgat made me tear up, and gave me $200 and a really pretty pin.  The other boss who is retiring - he still owes me my end-of-the month paycheck.  After 11 1/2 years working together, it was a weird, I guess sterile, parting.  A handshake and a "Well, so long."   The boss I still work for, Bill, I said to him, I don't mean to be crass, but do you think John remembers he owes me a paycheck?  He smiled and said yes, but I can almost guarantee he will call John to make sure he pays me.  Maybe he figures he doesn't officially owe it to me until Monday.  Double   Tomorrow, I will spend 22 miles on the trails ruminating over all this.

Have a great weekend, friends.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Okay - I seem to be the only one around here today, but I'm postin' again!  3 times in a row.  It's gotta be a record for this thread.  And why am I here again?  Well . . . . . .

I did it.  . . . . . . I signed up for AR50.  Ack!!  I felt like I was gonna get heart palpitations as my hand hovered over the final button, but with a big shwoosh of outward breath, I did it.  And it cost me $125, so I have to run it!  Emailed my coach and told him we needed to talk soon so I could start getting my head wrapped around this.  I know, it's still 7 months away, but then again, it's only 7 months away!  This is craziness, I tell ya.  Craziness.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie....I peeked at the AR50 elev chart...OMG....900 FOOT CLIMB @ MILE 47 - 50!!??!!??!!?? Crazy, indeed.  That is not very far from me, let me know if you need another crew member or pacer.

Carol - summer colds, ugh. Hope you feel better in short order. 

Having a better week, guess I'm getting back in the swing of things. I should easily get 50+ mi in this week, plus I've been able to bicycle commute and get in some core and explosive (burpee) cross-training in...all that and I feel great!  Headed out the door last night for 5 mi, it was 100F when I left, well I'll be darned it felt just fine. Of course, it's a DRY heat, yes, it does make a difference!  

Next weekend is the Disney Half, which has been brutally hot some years, well I'm ready for whatever the weather gods and/or goddesses and/or demons throw at us!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Arla

Ex runner

Leslie....I peeked at the AR50 elev chart...OMG....900 FOOT CLIMB @ MILE 47 - 50!!??!!??!!?? Crazy, indeed.  That is not very far from me, let me know if you need another crew member or pacer.

Yeah, that final climb is what started giving me heart palpitations.  Criminy!  And I greatly appreciate the offer re a pacer or crew person.  I will definitely keep that in mind.  And a 50+ mileage week for you - fantastic!  Your gonna kick HM butt at Disney next week.

Well, after my announcement above . . . . I had a total and complete meltdown at Mile 13.5 today.  My first.  I just sat down on the side of the trail and started crying halfway through the first of what was suppose to be 3 climbs up #12.  I guess this past week's activities took more out of me than I realized, and my legs were just absolute toast.  The thought of having to finish that first climb, let alone 3 of them, was more than I could take.  I got up and started the climb again and finally said that's it.  I had gone about .10 of a mile down when I met Karen and Charlie coming up and I almost lost it again.  I turned around and started climbing with her, but it was no good.  She helped me get through another 2.5 miles for a total of 16.

I think it would be smart to not run my 10 tomorrow and take an extra rest day.  And I guess it's better to fall apart now than right before Big Sur.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Don't beat yourself up Leslie, real life has a way of messing things up.You'll get it back. All's I can say is "wow" on that 50 miler.You'll have time to prepare.Suddenly my upcoming marathon seems puny

Hope you're feeling better Carol. 

Arla- 100* ?!?! Wow, you're tough. Good luck in your half. Good job on all the excercise too.I think I'll have to try some of those burpee things, I have been doing my pushups reguraly.

With the base I have,I decided this round of marathon training is going to include some speedwork. Tempo and intervals on 2 days this week, left the legs a little slow for my 21.3m lr last night .Light drizzle but otherwise good. Out to the reservior today with Buddy and a 5er in FF's. I can't get over how much different my body feels without thickly cushioned shoes. I'm waaay slower but it must involve a lot of different body parts, cause my legs felt fresh.

Speaking of real life, we're shipping younger DS up to college tomorrow.Car's loaded with stuff for his dorm room.The Univ is only about 60 miles from here,so not too bad.He'll get the "living at school" thing, but still be close to home.He's talking pre-med so his grades are going to have to be good.He hasn't been the partying type yet, let's hope it stays that way!

Good weekend gang!

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - awww, ((hugs)) on the meltdown, but yeah like you said, not a total shock considering the cross-training/book hauling thing you've been doing all week. Still, it sucks when that happens.   Take a running rest day, just go out and do 3 - 4 at a really super-duper slow pace - that should loosen up your legs and you'll be good to go on Tuesday.

Joe - this is marathon #3 for you? I'm really impressed that you were able to add TWO speed workouts a week and get through your long run.  I just do speedwork when the muse hits me, but maybe next year I'll get more formal about it. And burpees - way harder than pushups. They. Are. Tough! 

Got out for a medium-long 9-miler today, it's amazing how many runners I see on weekends. Weekend warriors? I don't know how they do it, if I only ran on weekends I'd hurt myself for certain.

Arla

Ex runner