Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 9.15.13 (Read 47 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

This is just a quick fly-by 'cause DW and I are on our way to the FLD (favorite local dive) for breakfast.

Yesterday afternoon, Deeze came down to Hampton from her tri in Freeport, ME so we could meet Mariposai and Twocat at the end of their relay. I met up with Deeze as she arrived and we had a chance to talk a bit before the relay van showed up. We had a terrific, but too short (for me - I had to leave too early because we were taking a neighbor recovering from hip surgery out to dinner) visit with everyone in the park and on the beach. Deeze, Mariposai and Twocat all look great after their respective races. There's a photo floating somewhere...

11.9 racewalking miles this morning in 50F temps, starting in the dark, and finishing just after sunrise. Nice start to the day! Now, about that breakfast...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay///.......sounds like a fun day.....

really good Avenger Doggie Adventure yesterday

=======

60min bike ride,,,,,,,,,50-degrees and sunny

.....rear view mirror fell off when I got on the bike,,,,,,

as I

pedalled out of the Neighborhood, a Goose of Doom was heard honking in the distance.

undaunted,

I resolutely made my way up the street

possibly,

due to the forewarning,

NOTHING else bad happened (except I had to LISTEN for the cars)

mirror is now firmly in place ready for the next work-out

..................good running guys.............occasionally The Goose of Doom is a GOOD THING.....

whoo'da'thunkit

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Jay, Tom and all to follow. Enjoy that hard earned breakfast Jay. And Tom? Big grin Glad you got your mirror fixed and there were no goose "accidents" on your journey.

Thinking about you a lot Holly, and glad your brother is with you for love and support.

Sounds like Tag and Honey had fun, fun, fun yesterday. You doggies have the best adventures.

Great pictures lately - David leaving another runner in his dust and Ribs and his beautiful running partner. Looking forward to seeing the one of Jay, Twocat, Deez and Mariposai.

It's raining and 54° here. Great day for the Packer season opener. But knowing the die-hard Packer fans, the parking lot will be filled with tailgaters sporting their best rain gear/black plastic garbage bags Smile

Yesterday was DS#2's 25th birthday. Had a great dinner that he chose - marinated tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, steamed green and wax beans, a fresh spinach/pear salad, garlic pull-apart bread and chocolate mint ice cream cake. I had to work extra hard to burn off those calories this morning. An hour on the elliptical and 45 minutes of weights.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

King of PhotoShop

Check out the culinary skills on jlynne!  Nice dinner.

Glad about that meetup with Jay, Twocat, Deeze and Mariposai.  We all seem to find ways to get together somehow.  Next year's Boston won't be one of them for me as I have chosen not to take part.  I've done the last 3 and it's time to rethink this distance combined with all the travel and hassle of it.

5 very slow recovery miles for me at the park, then fertilized the lawn so that I'll have a "bonny green lawn" in the spring as the guy on the radio ad for Scott's says.  Feeeed your lawn!  Feeed it! Now is the pairfect time!"  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Only an hour away, but guests at the camp made it too hard to come down.  Sorry I missed it.  Great pictures, though.  Hope everyone is healthy after their 200 mile jaunt.

3.5 yesterday and just under 7 today on the roads around the camp.  Loving the cooler weather--long sleeves felt comfortable today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

relay events are always a fun time, but even more fun with a great group like we have here. anxious to hear more about the eastcoast relay and meet up.

wonderfully cool morning here and we get a break from our 90's. it's a good day to get lots of outdoor things done, like cleaning up some of my garden and planning spots for overwintering garlic and onions. I'll have to replant my lettuce though. Our week of 90's was too much for my little seedlings.

Tammy

evanflein

That dinner does sound good, Jlynne, your DS chose well!

Jay, how long does it take you to racewalk 11.9 miles? That seems like a lot of walking to do before breakfast! (this from someone who doesn't even run before breakfast if I can help it.) Glad you were able to make it to the end-of-relay meeting.

Tammy, I'm pulling out my garden these days but it's because it's time to put it to bed, so to speak. Pulled all the beans yesterday. My lettuce pretty much all bolted awhile ago and then got drowned in the rain we had. Starting to dig potatoes though, and the carrots and beets are awesome.

Holly, that was a tough choice, but I think the right one. There will be other marathons, but you only have one mom. Hey, hang onto your marathon fitness though with a 20 miler and look for another one soon!

Always get a chuckle out of Avenger Doggie's stories. He's so good to be so patient with Honey. Roll eyes Sounds like a fun race, too bad it was so lightly attended. The winner's baskets sound wonderful.

Our weather pattern has been kind of odd for us. Usually, we get a weather system high or low that locks us in to days of clear skies, or days of overcast grey and drizzle. The last few weeks have been a mixed bag, with days starting rainy and dreary and clearing up beautifully by the afternoon, or the opposite with clear morning sunshine giving way to wind and rain by noon or early afternoon. Yesterday was overcast and "spitty" in the morning, but by noon the sun came out and the afternoon was beautiful. Today is clear and sunny, with clouds expected later. It seems there hasn't been a stretch of dry weather to let the trails dry out a bit. And get this... the forecast for next Friday (yeah, I know, it's early) is an inch of snow!! So... Saturday's Equinox will certainly be interesting, that's for sure.

I plan to get out to the Dome to run up and do the out-and-back, then back down. It's a 14 mile round trip. But if it's super muddy, I might just turn around early and bag it. Just not into getting all muddy today, but at least the sun is shining (for now)!

Wonderful morning to run here so I had a successful 19.3 mile run.  No goose of doom seen or heardWink

1st- 5k in 28:12 ran the 5k course, not the race

2nd- Half marathon w/DW in 2:14:33

3rd- 5k in 28:12 ( yes I'm consistent )

DW won age group and I got 2nd Wow that proves I beat everybody that did not show up and 5 that did Cool

That was a nice photo you posted yesterday Ribs (how much did you photo shop it) cause did make you look young.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

mrrun

ran a beautiful course with DD in east boston this morning along the water and beach.  altho IRC, totally unimpressive time. probably did well in AG, because it was a young people's race.  i've never seen so many police along a route, probably added thousands to the race cost, also close to Logan, Suffolk Downs, and major subway stop.

here we are before the race (no after pic)

((Holly))

jlynne - your packers are wiping out washington

nice meetup in hampton

sarge and jay - nice run/walk

tw - happy biking

happy gardening and other activities to those i missed

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, hang onto your marathon fitness though with a 20 miler and look for another one soon!

I thought the same thing.  Yesterday I ran 11 miles and today 19 miles, and then I signed up for a local 50k trail run in two weeks (Germantown 50K). I hope you don't get snow before Equinox.

TomWhite - Smile

Sarge - nice running!

Marj - great picture!

The wait continues...at least Hospice is there 24/7 now.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

steve, great racing with Tag, Honey, and your father in law in the walk.  Jay, I'm envious that you got together with deez, mari, and Twocat.  jlynne, happy birthday to your son.  Sarge, nice half for you and your wife with AG awards for both of you.  marj, great picture of you and your daughter before your race.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, Jay, and Holly.

This morning, it was about 50° and there was a light wind.  I did 3 miles at a 10:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TW - goose of doom, I love it!

Looking forward to seeing a relay picture

Evan's post sounded like a local weather report, one that leaves you not knowing what the weather is going to be.

I did a hike on Saturday.  My plan was to summit Mt. Ellinor, but it was an epic fail for me.  Basically my legs were fine, but when I hit the region that was completely exposed to sun (the last 1000 ft of climbing, which is a rock scramble), and it felt like 80F up there (it was only 67F at the trailhead), and I did not bring a sun visor or sunblock, I knew I should turn around.  Got some pictures, but the low lying fog covered up most of the view.  I will save this climb for a partly cloudy, much cooler day.

Today I met up with Bachelor #2 - ultra trail guy.  Gosh, he is tall (6'2") and has great legs of course, and was actually not bad looking.  I know that makes me sound really shallow.  My boss who is blind, keeps telling me to completely disregard looks.  As for personality, he definitely has a completely down to earth "country-ish" thing going, which was a bit endearing.  We did a short trail run, then brunch.  He lives kind of far away however, but we are going to meet up again...., and did I mention, he has great legs!  Wink

Well this is a public forum, so I guess that is all I'll be saying on the topic.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

.... and did I mention, he has great legs!  Wink

Well this is a public forum, so I guess that is all I'll be saying on the topic.

Smile

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Great legs count for a great deal enke! And another date.....hurray!

I saw Deez as well---got a nice big hug before the start of the Lone Gull 10k---wish we had talk time too, but  there was a huge crush of folks and since it was a Grand Prix race, the field was large and FAST! oh my. I ran a 43:23 for 6:59 pace---not too bad one week after a marathon---not a PR, but just a minute off my best. Gorgeous day in Gloucester and spectacular ocean views for much of the race. fast course but rolling hills the whole way. Team finished sixth in open and 7th in masters. One of the guys on my team was the overall winner but we didn't have a full guy's roster today. Great fun! I also saw and chatted with Bad Dawg from The Swamp. He ran a PR and continues to tear up the roads and PRS---age be danged!

Glad Avenger Doggie got to race.

Nice to see Sarge here! Nice running and racing for you and DW too

Holding a good weather thought for you Erika!

((((((Holly)))))

New skirt in town

Just an easy 2-miler this AM, followed by a crazy-intense yoga class! Rushed off to Canobie Lake Park for lots of loop-de-loops on the roller coasters, and then a Cannon-ball-Run back to the Boston area to get my son to his Lego League Robotics class.

I can't tell if my neck is sore from

A) The running

B) The yoga

C) The roller coasters

D) Whipping my neck around looking for the staties on my my run to get DS back to Lego League in the afternoon.

G'night all!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA