Masters Running

Days per week by age per Galloway (Read 594 times)

Renee the dog

Nono - nice BQ! That is my 2011 goal...21 min to go...

Thanks Arla!  I'll find out in a couple weeks if it was a fluke! (Of course, carrying 10 extra winter weight lbs. isn't in my favor!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Well Bobev, you and I have two things in common, we are both 63 and live in North Texas, and I assume the Half you did on Saturday was at Cowtown?  That's where I did my long run.  Where do you live?  I am in Coppell, just outside Dallas.

Regarding the comment by MrPHinNJ about my point #3 to the effect that it wouldn't have mattered at a younger age, but is important now, I completely agree.  The core and flex work I do now has kept me injury-free and I do it BECAUSE I am older.  At 40 and younger I thought it was all nonsense.  But for those people who are chronically injured a couple of times a year, it's the first thing I ask them:  What do you do for flexibility and core strength?

In December I had a mild calf strain, went away in one week.  In February I had some right knee pain, went away in one week.  Two years ago these same injuries would have had me out over a month.  That is what I mean by "chronic," an injury that is debilitating for a prolonged period of time. I am convinced the added work I do now has protected me from prolonged injury.

Of course there are anomalies. I don't know what kind of core or flex work Breger does, and yet he runs a ton of miles and never seems to be injured.  KSrunnr on KR is another one who does not believe in stretching or core work.  He just runs, and doesn't get hurt.  Holly doesn't often get injured either, but she does a ton of core work.  Go figure.  Spareribs

Of course there are anomalies. I don't know what kind of core or flex work Breger does, and yet he runs a ton of miles and never seems to be injured. Go figure.  Spareribs

Spareribs,

I do not consider myself an anomaly or an exception.  I believe I've been injury-free mostly due to my past activity level that has generally strengthened my legs and ankles which has kept me injury-free while running.  I played recreational basketball 3 to 4 times a week till well into my 50's.  I've never really been inactive or out of shape.

I agree that core work and cross training is important as we get older.  When I was training with the FIRST program, I swam a mile every week and rowed 10K every week, plus some minor weight work (I hate weight training.)  But I've done none of this since starting up with Tinman since I am running almost every day now.  But my time is coming where I'm going to have to start working out in ways other than running.  I notice a definite loss of upper body muscle tone lately and I'm getting some minor left shoulder discomfort.

My DW keeps threatening to cancel my gym membership and eliminate that monthly bill.  But I keep telling her not to.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

That's a good plan Bill. I knew about the basketball but not about the rowing and other activities.  You are right that Tinman doesn't leave much room for other stuff!  Holly, what about you on the injury vs. core work?  Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Like Bill, I have never liked to do weight training. However, I do push-ups and abs every day as well as stretching after my runs. I am currently doing the push-up challenge (62 as of today), and 100 reps each for upper and lower abs.

Bill you mentioned having some shoulder pain; My upper body has felt a lot stronger since starting with the push-ups.

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

King of PhotoShop

Bruce is indeed well up to speed with my club's pushup challenge. I see him still alive and kicking on our  bulletin board.  Good for you Bruce! I had to drop out end of February.  Shoulder troubles will get you as you add pushups and you have to use care.  That said, I too benefited from the pushup challenge, and got my long set up from just ten at a time, to 35 which amazed me.  Soon as I heal up I am going to keep it at 30 a day.

One thing I didn't mention to Bill's credit, as we all know what a strong runner he is, is what a big guy he is.  For those of you who have not seen him, I am six feet tall.  Bill towers over me.  it's very tough for a tall runner I think, to run with good form and to avoid injury.

He's a tough one!

Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

60+: 3 days a week/up to 3 walk or XT* days if desired

huh?. . . with 27 runs last year, I thought it was twice a month.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)