Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.20.12 (Read 347 times)

TammyinGP

The Price is Right?

Tammy

No guess from me this time.

I wish I had more time to read up on what everyone's up to here and the race reports.  I've been working a lot and of course, running a lot.  12 last night and almost 6 just now.  This is when marathon training gets tough.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

King of PhotoShop

The Tamster nails it!  Spareribs

We have a street here: Buhne (pronounced "Boon").  All the natives say Buhner (Booner).  My question almost every  single time, just to be a smart mouth:

I don't see an R at the end.  Is the street sign misspelled?

Answer: No. 

Me: Then it's Buhne. 

Answer: No.  It's Buhner

Me: There's no R anywhere in the spelling. 

Answer: It doesn't matter. 

Me (verbally): Hm.  Grammatically impossible.  Me (in my head): YAI - You're An Idiot.

I'm certain in they're heads: You're an idiot.  Wink

Have fun, Bill!!

JLynne is gonna be a grandma again??

I'm healthy again - well, at about 95%.  It still bothers me to tilt my head forward or back, but I have more range of motion when doing so.  I was actually able to look down at the scales this morning. Smile

Yesterday morning did 5 EZ miles, which felt great, and this morning did 8 miles with 3 tempo miles embedded in the middle.  I'm getting better at the tempo running (i.e., I'm not taking off like I've been shot out of a rocket and trying to maintain the effort), but am still looking for that point where I could run a tempo pace for an hour.  I was close this morning, so that made me happy.

Although only a couple of you do ultra trail marathons:

A local guy I met at Mt. Hood in July ran the Pine to Palms 100 Mile Endurance Run this past weekend in the mountains outside of Ashland, OR.  A very hard 100-mile trail run at altitude with three big climbs (ie 6000 feet of elevation gain in 10 miles for one climb alone).  He and a few other runners got derailed early in the race either by poor trail marking or trail bandits (someone removing the markings) and ended up running 15 miles before he hit the first aid station, prior to which he was forced to drink out of a creek as he ran out of fluids.

1st AS - no electrolyte drink and hardly any food. 

2nd AS - electrolyte drink but hardly any food. 

3rd AS - no food or water. 

4th AS - no food or water (had access to crew at this point, and they shared what little water and food they had with other runners). 

5th AS - no food or water.  At that point, he had to drop as he was so depleted by the lack of nutrition and hydration.

He contacted the RD - who is a highly accomplished trail runner - regarding all of this.  The RD apologized and refunded Chris' entry fee, but then tried to justify the lack of provisions on runners wasting water and injured runners spending too much time in the aid stations.  This is inexcusable, and for the third year there are major complaints by the mid and back of the pack runners about inadequate provisions for them.  Conversely, the front runners love the race and I can only ascertain this is because adequate provisions are provided for them.  I respect this RD for his accomplishments as a trail runner (he won Hardrock this year) and from everything I've heard he's a nice guy, but suffice to say I would never participate in a race for which he is the RD, regardless of the distance.

He has stated in the past that he devised this course with the great ultra runners in mind (i.e., not people like me or, obviously, Chris).  If that is the case and the mid and back of the pack runners are not as important, why open the race to them at all?  Why not have limitations, i.e., open only to those who have recently completed a comparable 100-miler in, say, 24 hours or less.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

interesting feedback on P2P, Leslie. I hadn't heard of any complaints like this and I know several folks that have run it each year. I did hear about a milemarker that was moved and messed up some people. and I think a larger than normal percentage of runners dropped due to some pretty hot conditions.

That's too bad that there have been complaints such as this all three years it's been operational. He RD's for a few races here and although I've never run one of them, I tend to hear more good than negative.  Perhaps with his career as an ultrarunner, owning his own business and trying to put on top notch events is too much and important details are missed. Not an excuse though. Providing adequate hydration and nutrition for EVERY runner should be #1 priority. all runners pay the same entry fee and deserve the same treatment. in fact, I would bet the front runners, or well known names are probably comped in.

Tammy

..nice to see fattozig

starting trouble on StreetSigns.......

======

120min hiking yesterday.

FlareUp inProgress

.........double weights and x-bike today

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

In NJ, growing up we always pronounced Trenton as Tren-en...the 2nd T is silent...only the out of towners call it TrenTon.  Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

...and Kentucky has at least 4-ways to pronounce ''Louisville""

naturally

only ''Luh-Vuhl'' is the correct one.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I try, TomW. Wink

The front runners might be comped, Tammy.  It's definitely a shame the same problems seem to keep reoccurring.  This could definitely be one of the premier 100-milers, but he's going to have to make some serious changes first. 

(And no, I would never run this race.  It's has 20,000 freaking feet of elevation gain AND loss. Nuh uh, no siree, Bob.)

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi.

I swam 20 laps last evening in the rec. center pool. It is a 25 yards pool (one length). Each lap is 50 yards. I still wish I could breathe better but, at least my form feels more natural.

Starr, I am not training for a tri. I am just getting prepared. In case. I ever need to swim, bike, and run in a hurry. Ha ha. Maybe some day I will tri.

All right you pronunciation freaks, try listening to the way folks say my last name...

And. Around here, we get a kick out of listening to outsiders pronounce our "Norfolk".  When we say it, well, it might sound like NAH- F#%K

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

I guess everywhere has some names that are pronounced differently than one would expect.  Near Ludington, where we visit frequently, there is a road that goes by the campground we sometimes stay at and also goes by the farm where my father was raised.  It's spelled Chauvez which most people assume is a Hispanic name and pronounce it Sha Vez.  To the locals, it's Sho Vee.  A lady I know whose family has lived in the area for several generations tells me it was named after a family who pronounced it the same way the locals do.  I asked, and was told, she didn't know their ethnic background but it wasn't Hispanic.

Another from that area is a one room school that has been moved to a "village" of restored buildings from the area's past.  It's name is Marchido School.  It was in the area where my mother was raised and one of my aunts taught there.  People who are not old timers from the area pronounce it Mar Shee Doe.  The old timers call it Marsh uh daw.  I don't know the background of the name.

Nice long runs for Mike, breger, and opie.  Good job on the speedwork for ribs.

This morning,m it was about 50° and there was a noticeable wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:04 pace.  I sort of poked along for the middle miles so it didn't feel too bad.  I got feeling a bit guilty about poking along so tried to push a bit the last couple of miles.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

And there's Houston  - HOWSton in NYC and some strange way in Ribs' area

had a glorious 4 mile speedy (for me), hilly run this evening - it's what makes running fun!  glorious sunset with crescent moon, not Jay's poetry, but...

have a glorious evening all,

marj

Just 4.2 easy miles tonight enjoying the fall like weather.

No wonder the English language is so difficult to learn. To many options.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

That's just inexcusable to not provide enough basic provisions for everyone at aid stations for a 100 miler.  There can be some serious medical consequences. 

Toronto locals call it "Ta-raw-na".  But mostly it's just "T-O".

No run today.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Mariposai

No wonder the English language is so difficult to learn. To many options.

Larry

Tell me about it Clown (of the 4 languages I speak, English gives me the most trouble).

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard