Masters Running

The Ides of November, 11.15.17 (Read 43 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

My parents were friends with a pair of school teachers who got out.

The guy was the cricket team coach for his school, his most famous pupil would be Greame Hick.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

I, too, hope something better is just around the corner for you Mike.

My brother, who used to live in DT Mpls, was out of work for 2+ yrs after a company downsize forced his layoff after being with them for 10+ yrs. He was a hard worker, could do or learn just about anything (but no college degree) and he could not find any work at all. like Holly, I couldn't understand how a place as big as Mpls with as many businesses as there are, that he just couldn't find something - anything!  but he couldn't. so big cities don't always mean lots of jobs unfortunately. I'm sure there's a light on the horizon though for you. Surely you must be rewarded soon!

My brother eventually moved out to Oregon and found a decent job in a few months. Been here a couple yrs now I think.  

rainy drizzly cold day, so I guess I'll leave to go running in about an hour. My brain only seems to function at work til 3 or 4 anyway, so might as well and go run in circles at the HS track.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, I hope that new job prospect works out!  Someone should really hire you to work with kids as a coach or trainer or something ...

Leslie, it's interesting to hear your perspective on Zimbabwe, since you've actually been there.  NPR has been covering the story a lot today, and it sounds like the potential new leader is about as bad as Mugabe, but here's hoping it will get better over there.

I  had to run some errands in town, so I went for a 10 mile trail run in a park that's much lower and flatter than where I usually run - kind of fun for a change!

My DH has been away on a solo climbing trip in our Sprinter van for about 10 days -- while it's  nice to have the house to myself, it does get kinda quiet with him away.   He's planning to come home and get me and the dogs for a winter road trip at some point, as yet to be determined.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

10M @ 8:10

No bloodied leg this time; same route. I flipped off the chunk of asphalt that tripped me last time.

Zimbabwe couldn't be WORSE off without Mugabe, could it?! Some reports I heard on NPR said the people "in charge" want to return to a pre-Mugabe system, when Zimbabwe was the bread basket of sub-Saharan Africa. I think they'll have a hard time sorting out all the land and money that Mugabe gave to himself and his friends.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

spacityrunner

The next time DH takes off and leaves you alone for a few days let me know.  I'll come keep you company for a few...(after I retire of course)

My DH has been away on a solo climbing trip in our Sprinter van for about 10 days -- while it's  nice to have the house to myself, it does get kinda quiet with him away.   He's planning to come home and get me and the dogs for a winter road trip at some point, as yet to be determined.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike -

help wanted:  acupuncturist

1.  stick two dozen+ needles into patient.

2.  take 30-minute coffee break

3.  take out needles.

salary commensurate with number of needles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Just sad and depressing the news we hear from overseas... Thanks for the perspective, Leslie.

Sorry, it's late and I can't respond to all the other stuff other than the continual hope Mike finds a new job that treats him better.

8.2 miles on the treadmill tonight, temps about 5° outside and I wanted to do intervals. So...

8:50

8:42

8:34

4 x .5 mile @ 8:00, .25 mile @ 8:34

8:34 and 8:27 to finish, with 2 x .1 mile @ 7:30 in the last mile.

Good to get a good interval run in, with temps dropping and snow/ice out there. We have a "winter storm warning" tomorrow for up to 4" of snow tomorrow. Funny we used to call that just "winter".

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Just sad and depressing the news we hear from overseas... Thanks for the perspective, Leslie.

Sorry, it's late and I can't respond to all the other stuff other than the continual hope Mike finds a new job that treats him better.

8.2 miles on the treadmill tonight, temps about 5° outside and I wanted to do intervals. So...

8:50

8:42

8:34

4 x .5 mile @ 8:00, .25 mile @ 8:34

8:34 and 8:27 to finish, with 2 x .1 mile @ 7:30 in the last mile.

Good to get a good interval run in, with temps dropping and snow/ice out there. We have a "winter storm warning" tomorrow for up to 4" of snow tomorrow. Funny we used to call that just "winter".

They do “snowpocolipse” in Alaska?  What’s the world coming to?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

metalmancpa

I got in 6.1 miles at an 8;52/mile pace. I am at a seminar at Mohegan Sun in CT and went for the run after the 1st seminar day ended. I brought all my gear necessary including night running so no issues there. I was planning an easy six, and when I left the hotel I just went for an out and back run. My direction choice made the run interesting. I generally train on flat roads around my house. I ended up probably having the most hilly training run I've ever done. Long hills and made for a much more intense run than I planned for, but I was quite satisfied.