Masters Running

40s+ on the Run -- Week Ending 5/30 (Read 442 times)

Cindy, good luck with the pack leader thing.  Our dogs just laugh Wink.

Nice new toy you got there Joe.  Glad you got the mile thing figured out.  Seeing those mile splits is fun, especially for you since, judging from your log, they are likely fast and consistent.

Run this morning was cut shorter than usual even for me lately.  I "ate" a bug, and must have been a big one because I just could not stop coughing.  Didn't bring water as I was relying on the park fountains, so wound up coughing and sputtering my way to the next one.  Uggghh!  On a better note, got going on my new gizmo today.  It's a continuous glucose monitor that tells me how my blood sugar is doing 24 X 7.  It's fairly new technology, so a bit quirky (has to be calibrated with manual finger stick readings multiple times/day, not always reliable, etc.), but I'm having fun watching the graph this afternoon.  Looking forward to trying it out on runs to see trends and help with carb and insulin choices.  And hey...never hurts motivation to have a new toy, right Joe?  

Progress Trumps Pefection
      Carol - You're not suppose to eat the bugs!  Get your protein some other way.  Good luck with the insulin gizmo.  Hope it makes things easier for you in the end.

Cindy - How come when I'm looking for trail runs in California, I have trouble finding info, then you come along and show me one that sounds like it would be blast.  The elevation's lower than SOB, so that's gotta be a plus, right?

Re Mairead - Yeah, you show her who's boss! {snicker}  Seriously, though, don't want her biting anybody.  Hope she straightens up and flies right.

Joe - I forgot I had to set mine up to keep track of the laps.  The auto pause is good, but sometimes it'll go off when you're walking (walking?  {gasp!} who does that?!?), so beware.  . . . . it'll also alert other folks to the fact that you're taking care of bizzniss off trail.  Mm hm.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

1. Carol - You're not suppose to eat the bugs!  Get your protein some other way.  Good luck with the insulin gizmo.  Hope it makes things easier for you in the end.

2. Cindy - How come when I'm looking for trail runs in California, I have trouble finding info, then you come along and show me one that sounds like it would be blast.  The elevation's lower than SOB, so that's gotta be a plus, right?

3. Re Mairead - Yeah, you show her who's boss! {snicker}  Seriously, though, don't want her biting anybody.  Hope she straightens up and flies right.

4. Joe - I forgot I had to set mine up to keep track of the laps.  The auto pause is good, but sometimes it'll go off when you're walking (walking?  {gasp!} who does that?!?), so beware.  . . . . it'll also alert other folks to the fact that you're taking care of bizzniss off trail.  Mm hm.

1. Ditto & Ditto!

2. 'Cause I Know people....  want some more?  Here's some kewl people: http://www.californiaoldgoats.com/Apr18-09LeonaDivide.htm

3.  Uh, yeah....think she'd hafta stand her ground first before I've gotta worry about her biting  

4.  Hmmm, & whyyy do you have your alert on loud??

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Looks as though Joe is enjoying his new toy. How on earth did you go so long without one?

Cindy, sounds as though the running bug is really with you again. Keep up the great work and way to go on those consistent runs.

Leslie, what a great idea about using the pause button for the woods relief time. Better then squatting and shaking a bush continuously.

Hope the new sugar check contraption works well for you Carol. Don't worry about cutting the run short, your getting out there and that is key.

Quick hello to everyone..........got company for about 8 days. Stepson, wife and their little girl (4). Then Saturday is the big graduation party. At least 50 or so folks showing up throughout the day.......

Later everyone......

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            Hey, thanks for the info, Cindy. I'll take any info you have, especially for CA and OR.

Re the loud alarm - in case the bears get me.  If the alarm's aloud, they'll know where to find the body!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BTY

WOW!  You guys really have sticktoitiveness!  Good to see you all still running & posting!

Life just doesn't allow me to post here very often (obviously), but I do keep my running log here,  I'm afraid that if i go into the forum area they'll lock me out of the log, and then I'm up the Hudson without a Halfmoon (A little Henry Hudson 400th Annniversary humor).

So this past spring I trained for, and just ran on Saturday, a 15k race in my little hometown, part of its annual Memorial Day festivites. Training Pays Off!!  I took 2:55 seconds off of my previous PR in this race, and for the first time in my adult life, i beat all the women!  No, wait, that didn't come out right.  No women beat me.  Well I hope you know what I mean.  I would've been the first woman if I was one. 

So now it's time to take a couple of weeks ott and set some goals for summer and fall.  Ahhhhh

Brian

jfa

Yea ! A Brian sighting! Good to see you again and  great going on your PR! I'll steer completely clear of the beating women remarks, (for my own safety) other than to say that's hilarious. Don't be gone so long!

Carol- your toy is a bit more important than mine! I hope it works out for you and makes your life easier.Awful about that bug! That must have been pretty cruddy.

Leslie- Good job on your hills,even though it's certainly not easy. Yes ,I found that when I stopped at the bathroom,the Garmin auto- paused,then started,then paused...Maybe I'll just hit the stop button.

Cindy- sounds like Mairead's just trying to do her job. Just like us,as she gets older, she doesn't want to put up with no BS from anyone!

Jewels- don't forget to celebrate yourself instead of minding your company all the time. You and DH certainly deserve the accolades. You should be very proud of yourselves!

Jim-hope you get your planter together and your body parts as well.

Hi Ev, missing Arla.......

Getting the Garmin thing down. Last night was fluctuation city on the hills.Tonight, just the opposite.Nice and flat went my run, pace,and heartrate. Another thing that it will allow me to do is run some wandering, where-ever -I feel -like- going courses instead of having to keep track of my course.Took all kinds of side streets and zigged and zagged all over town! Pretty cool!

Mornin - Happy Friday!

BTY - Good to see you, and congrats on that PR and coming in ahead of all the women. (Does that sound better??)

Joe - How'd you get the current weather on your main log page?  And do you know if there's a way for the graphs to include other activities, like my biking and core/strength?  I've been looking around in there, but can't seem to find it.

Got up too late for cycling to nowhere, so just an hour of core/strength.  Am foregoing any more lunges.  They just make my right knee feel too wonky.  Am doing step ups w/weights, step downs, and Bulgarian squats w/weights, so that should be a sufficient quad workout.  Am also doing single arm overhead lifts (not shoulder presses) and boy howdy am I feeling it in the triceps!  Yee haw!!

Tomorrow we have 16 trail miles on the scheduled, followed by 10 on Sunday.  That should just about make me worthless for the balance of the weekend.

Have a good one ~

MTA: Joe, never mind about the weather graph.  Can't get it to accept Eureka, which is the main "city" here, but brings up the outskirt area of Cutten.  Go figure . . .

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Leslie- a 26 mile weekend? Impressive.

If you open your log and click   "customize" ,your "widgets" should have a pull-down menu to change your activities to biking and such.

Hope that helps.....

MTA-Should have looked at your log first. Seems like you have it figured out.

Leslie- a 26 mile weekend? Impressive.

If you open your log and click   "customize" ,your "widgets" should have a pull-down menu to change your activities to biking and such.

Hope that helps.....

MTA-Should have looked at your log first. Seems like you have it figured out.

Well, if you don't see a post from me by Monday, you'll know I didn't survive.

And yes, I finally did figure it out.  And it wasn't really all that hard . . .

(Listenin' to some classic George Strait {sigh} . . . . .)

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Did my 16- mile trail run this a.m. in 3:38:28.  The last 3 miles were horrible.  l don't know if I worked the strength training too hard yesterday, didn't eat enough carbs the last couple of days or what, but those last 3 miles sucked - big time.  And my calves - OMG they hurt!  I haven't been doing calve strength training 'cause it made my ankle hurt.  I must've overdid it yesterday, 'cause today - yeeowza!

On the plus side, my ankle feels really good.

Well, off to get some transcription done.  Later!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice trail run, Leslie.  Yes, George Strait is classic country.  Watch the special on him the other night.  Good stuff.  I like that Troubador song.

Joe....impressive.

Jewels.....How was the gradgeation?  Hope your having fun with your house guests.

Carol....You guys grow those bugs big down in Texas.  Hows the new glucose monitor?

Hey Mtn....Hey BTY....Hey Arla....Hey Jim and Lynda.....and evryone else.

A nice 6er for me this evening.  92F....but didn't really feel that hot.  Enjoyable run.

Laters on ville.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM