Masters Running

Hail Hail the gangs all still here! (Read 278 times)

Hi everyone its been 4 months since my last post and my last run. I have missed the running but also the daily banter and friendship on this forum.

Shortly after the Grand Rapids Race this spring I had to address a heart issue that my Dr. found during a yearly physical just a week before the race. I felt fine and was not really concerned at that point but I think their attempts to find and fix my problem made it worse. My heart rate was spiking at random for sometimes hours at a time for no known reason. I was told to take it easy while they figured out what was going on. I backed off my running routine and have been through every test known to man. Their first thought was a valve issue but the tests all came back fine. Then my fingers and toes started to go numb and they then thought of circulation issues. Yadda Yadda Yadda, you all get the picture. I have been on numerous meds some of which seem to do more harm than good and as of right now I am down to just some beta blockers and blood thinners. I done all the tests along with angiograms , Thalium stress tests , dopplar tests, all inconclusive.

So anyway I go to my Dr. on Friday and he asks me whats been bothering me and I say::: MY ^%$&^%*&% shoulder the same thing I been trying to get fixed for 2 years. The rest of me feels fine. Bottom line I left the office with 1 less priscription (still taking the beta blockers) , the OK to start running again and a promise for an MRI of my shoulder in December!

Tomorrow I am going out for my first run in a while and have picked the trails where I used to live and where I started running almost 20 years ago as a kind of inspiration for a better year. No plans for races or such, just going to enjoy my runs.

I hope to catch up with all of you and contribute as much as I can.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

We've missed you, Larry!  Don't you love it when the doctors can tell you what it isn't, but can't tell you what it is?  Hope your return to running is joyful!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Larry, it's good to see a Hallar post!!! I can't imagine the frustration!!! Glad to hear you'll be putting one foot in front of the other!

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Larry -  good to see you posting again!  Sounds almost like what Twocat has been going through - tons of tests, but no definitive answer.  Just jump back in here anywhere, we're glad to have you back.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Larry, it sounds like a frustrating, and scary, four months.  It's really a bummer that the doctors still can't put their finger on the problem. I hope your return to running goes well.  Whatever happens, keep us posted.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Thinking of you Larry, and hope you get these issues resolved soon.  Great to hear from you.  Spareribs
                what a bummer Larry!!  hope you get some answers soon and enjoy your runs!!

denise

Welcome back and I am glad to see you. I hope some real answers emerge soon and that the return to running will go well. Your choice for inspiration is great!
                  Tramps

Frustrating is the word here, isn't it?  Good to hear from you and I hope answers are forthcoming.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Glad to hear from you and have you back! We've been wondering what happened to you... Hope you are cleared for everything real soon.

Thanks everyone,

Most of you guys have been a part of my life for quite a few years now and this is like a reunion for me.

Glad to still be a part of such a great family.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Renee the dog

I thought maybe you had gone into witness protection.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Glad to see you back, Larry, and I hope you get your issues taken care of.

For what it's worth, I found that a beta blocker can slow you down a bit since it effectively limits your heart rate. It's not dangerous -- just makes you feel a bit more sluggish. In my case, there was really no reason to be taking a beta blocker in the first place, so my doctor switched me to something else that works just as well but without the heart-rate effect.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Geez Larry, I've been wondering what happened when you suddenly stopped running and posting!   So sorry to read all that you have been through the last 4 months and I hope they get to the bottom of it .... and most importantly get your F*(&#^$*ing shoulder fixed!!  Big grin  

Keep posting - we missed you!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com