Masters Running

Monday Fun on 10/1 (Read 38 times)

spacityrunner

Took the foster pup out for a run this morning. No garmin so no idea of pace but it was faster than I can go. I’m sure I looked like a cartoon out there 😂. It was about a mile. She loved it. ❤️❤️

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay for happy foster pups!

I've been compensating for my lack of exercise by overeating.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Happy Monday! Sounds like I missed a lot over the weekend. I extended my weekend as we ended up going to the Cubs division tiebreaker game today. They lost, but still a good day to not be at work. Given the noon start, it was almost my whole work day anyways 😂 I did get out for 5 miles this morning, and it was light out (yay!)

I’m declining my buying opportunity for tickets tomorrow. Game days are exhausting and I don’t even know if I could do 2 in a row. I’ll be watching that one at home.

Anne

3 elliptical miles in the office gym.  I’m disappointed that I can’t run in Austin next week on my business trip.  I was looking forward to it.  I’m sure the hotel elliptical will be delightful.  Oh well.  Such are the perils of our sport.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

Hi Runners,

Started the morning off with a workout at the gym - strictly stretching (about 5:00) and then 20:00 of strength training.  Fully expected to have to ratchet back reps or weights today due to some high repetition polesaw pruning over the weekend, but actually held my own and then some.  
            Took about a 2.5 mile walk at lunchtime.  Realized just how fast my legs get deconditioned when not walking or running regularly.
            Swam 1200 yards tonight.  My goal was to add 150 yards to the 900 yard regimen, but once I was there I was like 1,050 yards?  Who does that?  And of course rounded to 1200 by swimming another 150 yards because that's what you people have done to me. Smile

So since I started last Monday I've added 300 yards and eliminated some of the rests but kept the pacing steady while in the water.  First night was 900 yds in 30:00, tnight was 1200 yds in 31:00.  Trying to remember to build up slowly so tomorrow night will be a duplicate of tonight.

5.1 @ 8:10

It's getting muggy here, lower 70's, overcast and no wind. They say it may RAIN tomorrow, the first time in 6 months for this area. I won't hold my breath.

Looking at the stats for my run, without trying to do it I cut 2 seconds off each 1k until the end. Well, I only cut 1 second off one, but 3 off the next one...this was not planned or thought of while running, it just showed up afterwards as an anomaly. It was just a run-run, not a long-run or tempo-run or recovery-run.

everyone else: walking and cycling and swimming, oh my! walking and cycling and swimming, oh my!

Someone asked what I play on my dozen guitars and basses. Well, I play notes and a few chords. I take pride in saying that I do not know any songs, only how to play. Despite all the bands I've played in for 40+ years, I do not retain knowledge of any songs; covers or originals, after they are no longer being played by the band. I can pick them up again after listening a few times, though. Like riding a bike.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

Mike:   Well, Joe—to be honest—Sandhills is on my list for next June.  But, when I started looking into other marathons because of the possibility of not being able to do Maryland in March, I found another one in Nebraska that looked good—7 Lakes, or something—but, now, after reading your blog—how could I even think of running any other marathon in Nebraska?

Holly.   It's so "open"...how to handle an "emergency pit stop"?? 

Thank you both for reading my report on the Sandhills Marathon.

Holly, down in my report, I include a photo of how they deal with port o pots...they have two on a low trailer, towed by a pick up truck.   Two pick ups do this, for four total portable.    If you need to "go", you wave or tell the guys on the bikes and they get the truck to "stop" and it all works.   Very ingenious for the setting and very efficient.

Mike, pick your own race in Nebraska.   The Valley 7 Lakes marathon looks cool...it's a brand new race in 2019 and is a very, very flat course, in contrast to the Omaha marathon, which is very hilly.   Logistics are easier there too, as you drive/fly to Omaha and it's all set...the course is about 15 miles from the Omaha airport.   Sandhills, on the other hand, is not near anything, is a tiny race and has some big hills.   And it is totally, totally unique and spectacularly beautiful and remote and amazing.   So, both would be good...you just make a choice.   Logistics might be the deciding factor.

I just got in from a late 3+ miles in the dark.   My Cubs lost their Game 163 today.  Play the Rockies tomorrow in an elimination game.   Then, my Oakland A's play Wednesday night against the Evil Yankees in the AL Wild card.   I could have great excitement or be done with baseball in a couple of days.  

Rock on, folks.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mariposai

Hi Runners,

Realized just how fast my legs get deconditioned when not walking or running regularly.

I know what you mean. I am still considering 10 minute miles my fast pace post injury, but hey, but I can run, other can't do that! Every mile is a gift.

My day today started at 4am wake up call to get ready to go to the airport to fly back  home. All my connections went well and I arrived to the Spokane airport refreshed and ready to drive for 4 hours to get home, I even remembered to check my car oil and replenished the oil in the car all by my little self. I am very, very proud of that Smile. After I arrived home I went out for a 4 miler to combat the jetlag. Now I am trying to stay awake a little bit longer before I collapse.

Tetsujin, sorry no pictures of the cake. I tell you RunningAhead does not make it easy for us to post pictures here.

Any tips for the Victoria marathon those who have run this course before?

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Surly Bill - We got a good amount of rain today, so hopefully it's headed your way.  And yes, it was muggy.

I'm adding PT to my activities for the day.  I started some new exercises today, plus they had me on the treadmill at different incline percentages to assess how my leg/hip work (or don't work) at the different inclines and when it's getting tired, then I got to start the new exercises.  I anticipate a sore (in a good way) hip/glute/quad tomorrow.  One of the exercises is actually called the "Quad Buster."

The water issues turned out to be a lot less than we anticipated.  Absolutely thanking the Lord for that. The plumber did have to cut out the drywall, but it was a small piece of copper piping that was leaking.  The Hub said he was here a 1.5 hrs max, and the two of them totally hit it off.  We don't have a bill yet, but it's not going to be anything like we thought.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Yay on the plumbing issue being less than expected! That's always a nice surprise.

Liz, so happy your foster dog is a new family member. Gives me warm fuzzies to think of a homeless pet hitting the jackpot.

Holly, even on a good month I can usually out eat my training. You'll be back at it soon.

I've been absent from here, but have been busy! Saturday I ran 9.1 miles from home to DH's office. It's a good run, some downhill and lots of flat with a couple of overpasses that serve as hills. This time I ended up with some tempo miles, so called it a tempo run (8:12 average, mile 8 was sub-8). Sunday I'd wanted to get out for 13-15 miles, but my legs were toast. I'm guessing from Saturday's run. So when I met DH at mile 10 for my last Nuun drink, I said I was done and we went home. So, 10.1 miles for Sunday. Still got almost 43 for the week and 203.1 for the month.

Today was a rest day. I took the hint and backed off. Hard to do on such a nice day!

Marathon Maniac #957

And of course rounded to 1200 by swimming another 150 yards because that's what you people have done to me. Smile

Glad to see you back, BTY.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, down in my report, I include a photo of how they deal with port o pots...they have two on a low trailer, towed by a pick up truck.   Two pick ups do this, for four total portable.    If you need to "go", you wave or tell the guys on the bikes and they get the truck to "stop" and it all works.   Very ingenious for the setting and very efficient.

OMG - that is just ingenious!  I cannot tell you how many times I thought it would be awesome to have my own port-o-pottie on wheels following me along a marathon course!

Nancy - you are so right - every mile is a gift, no matter what the pace.

Leslie - yay on the not-so-complicated water issue!

BTY

I am still considering 10 minute miles my fast pace post injury, but hey, but I can run, other can't do that! Every mile is a gift.

Posie

agreed!  While I am no longer running - at least not for some time - I am thankful that I can walk.  I am working on reclaiming a very old cemetery and now that the heavy lifting is over with, there is a lot of lawn mowing to be done.   Other than the swimming program that I just started last Monday night, my sole cardio exercise had been pushing a lawn mower for hours on end one, two, three or four times a week, just to try to keep it from getting away from us again.