Masters Running

Master Runners Introductions! (Read 228 times)

Henrun

I'm Henry from the Boston area and am married to mrrun (Marj) and a Canadian by birth although I've lived in the US for most of my life. I'm also the senior member of this forum (I just turned 83) and a retired psychiatrist. I started running just before I turned 40 and have run 40 marathons (including 7 Bostons with a p.r. Of 3:05 and many other road races (and a couple of sprint triathlons. My last marathon was Boston at the age of 75. About one year ago my knees succumbed to arthritis and 6 months ago I had a right knee replacement. I'm trying to get back to running and ran a 5K 4 months post surgery(very slowly). I've signed up for another one in 2 weeks.

I'm a holdover from Cool Running and have met many of the others either in Boston or in a number of meet ups (Marj and I love to travel).

I hope to be able to run (or walk) as long as I can. Marj and I are on the Board of the New England 65+ Runners Club (over 700 members) which promotes senior running.

Head Procrastinator

Hi! I am Barb from Long Beach, NY and I post here sporadically though I have met lots of these folks many multiple times and have even shared hotel rooms and vans with some of them.  Born in June 1956 never married no kids and no pets anymore. I do Desktop Support for several branches of financial advisors and am looking forward to retiring as soon as the president gets me healthcare  or when medicaid and SS kick in.

I started running in 2001 and I am pretty sure found Cool Running soon after but I am not good at details.  I ran a few short races and was thinking about training for a half marathon when in early 2006 a spot was seen on my lung in a routine visit and subsequently had a biopsy and removal of that lobe for it came back as lung cancer. Luckily for me it was the size of a pencil eraser and had not spread, I had no further treatment. I do have reduced lung capacity due to it.  I took up road biking because my running had slowed to a snails pace (not that I was ever speedy)

Now I do a combination of recreational running most mornings and winter weekends, mountain biking , fat tire biking and road riding. I am an avid Geocacher which gets me out into the woods hiking when  am not riding in them. I recently returned from a trip to Brazil for 10 days on a Geocaching/siteseeing tour.

It was nice reading about those of you I have yet to meet!

ETA I am the person who made the forum picture when you click the home button.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Half Fanatic #9874

My name is Lianne, and I live in northern Illinois about 50 miles away from Chicago.  I was born in 1955, so I am 61 as of this writing.  I started running in the fall of 2008 when I found the Couch to 5k Plan online.  I was always a video exerciser at home and an aerobics class attendee at the gym but when I moved out of the big congested city to an area more conducive to outdoor activities, I discovered walking (at first) then running.  I ran my first 5k in December of 2008 and my first half marathon in December of 2009, so I guess you could say I was hooked on the sport pretty early.  I've always been chunky so naturally I am slower than many.  I don't mind coming in close to the end but I really try not to be the last one across the finish line (although it definitely has happened).

I'm a 50 state racer and have run in probably 30 of the states already.  Since starting running at this late an age, I don't intend to try to do halves or fulls in each state.  Just doing a race in each of the 50 is good enough for me and a great excuse to travel.  I lift weights and still do a video exercise routine or two every week because I like the endorphin rush from exercise, and I want to be the healthiest chubby 60-something I can be. I did do one full marathon last year and not sure if I want to do another one or not.  I mean, of course I want to, but it's a real time drain when you're as slow as me to train for that distance and that's the limitation.

I joined here as a lurker some time ago but have decided to join in full time and hang out with you other over 40s folks.  Hopefully I'll make friends and maybe run into somebody on the road sometime.

And yes, I'm a big Star Trek fan.  Smile

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome Trekkie!!  Now all you have to do is join the daily and learn the secret handshake

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Welcome Trekkie. Lots of good folks in here so don't be shy about posting.

Live long and prosper.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BTY

My name is Brian, and I am a runner.  I guess.

I'm 52 and also came to the Masters Running Forum on this site when Cool Running exploded.  I began running in 2001 to prepare for my HS 20 year reunion, and have continued to run since then.  Sort of.  Injuries and an irregular heartbeat have given me opportunities to cultivate other interests.  My initial fitness interests after HS sports were in the areas of strength training and weight lifting, hoping to some day participate in competitive power lifting, but that was not to be.  I coached Track and Field at my alma ,mater from 1984 until 1995 (with a couple of years off for good behavior) but mostly focused on the field events, as I was a discus thrower in HS and would have continued in College had I gone straight to there instead of taking a circuitous route to my Public Administration degree.  Oh, yeah, I'm a civil servant and have worked for a large public benefit corporation in Albany NY for 20 years.  I've been married to my wife for 25 -1/2 years and we have four children, two who have graduated from the University at Albany, one who is a junior there this fall, and one who will be studying nursing at Community College.  We have two "dogs" (actually a corgi rescue and her illegitimate half-breed son), and a cat.  My handle BTY is an acronym for my previous handle "Better Than Yesterday", but I've been thinking that I should change it as it is now false advertising.  I ran two half-marathons, one with a time of something like 1:37:45 and the other quite a bit slower.  I used to run 5k's in the 20:30 - 21:00 zone in my mid 40's, but I think I could run a 25:00 5k today and be very satisfied.  I am an amateur historian and make a few bucks on the side giving walking tours and giving talks at community centers and senior living centers about the history of Albany NY .  A friend and I are currently reclaiming a 165 year old cemetery which had fallen into disrepair through decades of neglect and vandalism.  Next to my family and my career, it is the best thing I have ever done.  We put in a few hours every week and it is extremely gratifying to do something that is so badly needed.  And it's good that the people who we're helping can't possibly thank us.  I've never met anyone on this forum in real life, but I've been a big fan of everyone for many years and hope to stay a while.

TammyinGP

it's great to see you BTY and read more about you.  I bet the cemetery clean-up and renovation is a very satisfying goal.

Tammy

Half Fanatic #9874

Welcome Brian!  I'm a newbie too. Your finishing times are quite excellent in my book as I've been a slowbee since day 1.  My fastest half marathon is maybe 3 hours and 9 minutes I think.  But I've done a couple dozen of them so I'm quite happy to be plodding along at the back of the pack while everyone else sprints ahead.  I catch a lot of the scenery that speedsters miss.  LOL

BTW I've heard a couple of people referencing the explosion of Cool Runnings but I never went there so I don't know what it is, although it sounds like dramatic and something cool to gossip about someday.  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm Stephany and have been on RA for six plus years.

I've meant to join this group for ages.  My husband and I live just west of Augusta, GA and I've met

many RA people IRL and in some of the other forums.

My running has been crap for the last couple of years due to knee tendon/ligament issues.  I think

I'm on a come back!  Hopefully I'll be back to 40 miles a week soon.

pfriese - Though I'm not actually from Oklahoma, I did graduate from Yukon just next door.

Lived there for three non-consecutive high school years.

steph  

BTY

Welcome Stephany.  Jump right in.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Tom been running since 77 except 5 years in mid 90s .

Run mostly trails since 2012.

I have been on RA since around 2011

We be posting more now since rw is closing

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi - younger master at 43 years old.  Also jumping in now that RWOL is gone.

Currently tapering for Mohawk-Hudson, where I hope to go sub-3:05.  I live in the Washington DC area.  I should probably do a longer intro at some point - not sure how much detail should be in these.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

spacityrunner

Hi dark. I lived in dc proper for 6 years. Welcome to RA and ya’ll are welcome to jump into our daily.

Hi - younger master at 43 years old.  Also jumping in now that RWOL is gone.

Currently tapering for Mohawk-Hudson, where I hope to go sub-3:05.  I live in the Washington DC area.  I should probably do a longer intro at some point - not sure how much detail should be in these.

Trails Rock!

spacityrunner

Hi Tom!  Started running trails a few years ago. Jump into the daily and let’s us know how things are “running “. 😂😂

Tom been running since 77 except 5 years in mid 90s .

Run mostly trails since 2012.

I have been on RA since around 2011

We be posting more now since rw is closing

Trails Rock!

Hello everyone.  Another RWOL Masters refugee.  10 year resident over there.  Luckily someone over there told me about RA before they pulled the plug (24 hours early!)

I'm Butch (go by Opus).  Been running 40 years (hence the Opus77 moniker).  Turn 55 next year and am looking for a turn around in what's been an injury riddled past 2 years.  First had bad PF on the left foot, and just as that got better, the right foot started up.  Just now getting over it and able to string together a few runs.

Other info:  retired USAF, currently teach aviation courses for the USAF and a private college.  Coach high school cross country and track, going on 10 years. Married, adult kids, and have 2-4 dogs, depending on if we are dog-sitting one of our kids' dogs.

Looking forward to lurking for a bit, as I feel like a bit of an intruder at this point, lol.  Would like to start posting on the dailies soon.

Thanks!