Masters Running

Saturday July 10 Master Slogfests (and other Runs) (Read 454 times)

evan, I'm sorry I missed your long run the other day.  deez, bleated happy birthday to your son.  sue, good luck with the new job possibility.  dove, it's good to have you with us.  mariposai, way to go on those long swims.  hopeful, that's neat about the motorcycle your husband bought to restore.  jlynne, happy anniversary tomorrow.  Also, good luck dealing with the PF.  dave, listen to the healthcare people and get healed up.

Nice long runs for dive, holly (with cranky knee - glad to hear you are going to give it a chance to recover), dive, breger, shadow, EGH, and perch.

This morning, I did an 8K race.  It was about 70° and a bit humid but not as bad  as the past week.  It took me 46:14 for a 9:19 pace.  That's slower than the 10K pace a couple weeks ago.  I was satisfied though.  I finished 2/3 in my AG (65-69).  I saw a fair number of people I knew so that was good.  The results aren't posted yet so I don't know about OA.  I did a .5 mile warmup at a 9:31 pace and another 1.5 after the race at a 10:05 pace to give me 7 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Nice running, Tom. I just checked your profile- you used to teach HS Math? You would have hated me. Took me 2 years to pass Precalculus with a very fuzzy C-.

And there was this thing where they started putting letters in for numbers....I was doomed .

7.6 miles, 1:07, 8:49 m/m, I think.  Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - ouch!  Burns are not nice at all.

EGH3 - very nice splits, especially in that heat.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

LSD, with emphasis on the Slow!  19 in 3 hours--got hungry midway thru and had to stop by a store for choc. milk.

Not on a good computer so just happy Saturday, all.  Get better, Dave, and good being prudent, Holly.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
          lamerunner

Greetings!  My  slog fest was yesterday. I was in Cape Cod for a bankruptcy conference and staying near the Cape Cod rail trail, so I wanted to do at least a semi-long run.  Started the run Friday morning in oppressive humidity and ran 14 ,but the last few were a slog. My clothes were literally dripping when I was done.  In the afternoon I joined a few of my colleagues for a bike ride. Kept it pretty low key but biked about 26 on the same rail trail. Dodging families etc but it was fun.  Sweaty day except while in the actual seminars.

This morning I had to speak on a panel and meet my group early to discuss  (plus my legs were beat from yesterday), so I just ran 4, in the other direction on the rail trail.

Hat's off to those who run in Florida and Texas this time of year.  Killer humidity is draining. I did hear that it is cooler in Puerto Rico this weekend than in New England though.... some of the judges at our conference were from PR.

Not sure what I will do tomorrow....

Good running everyone!

evanflein

Thanks, Tom! Always fun to make the write up, ya know? And yeah, I'm with Walt. Although I never even made it to precalculus. I actually figured out a way to get a B.S. degree by taking the minimum required math classes. That took some work! Nice race for you today. I've got an 8k next Saturday.

I made it out for 11.4 hilly miles today. Not sure what got into me, but I did take water to stash two miles out. Problem is, by the time you get back to it an hour later, it's all warm and ucky. Oh well. It helped. I still crashed pretty hard up the hill in mile 11 though. Realized also that I had a clear bandage on my burn, and the sun really bothered it. Can you sunburn a burn? I suppose you can. Gotta clean it up now and put a better dressing on it. I guess it could've been worse, I did just brush the pipe, but it's bad enough I've got to deal with it now. Bleh.

Everytime I type a long e-mail/msg it I get knocked off and it was a waste of time.  

One solution is to open up a Word document and type your RunningAHEAD entry there.  Then you can copy and paste the entry over to the forum here.  By doing this you can type as much as you want “off line” and a quick “Paste” puts it all on here…..

As well….if when you go to hit enter the Wifi doesn’t allow you to post it,  you can try again without having to retype everything…..just re-paste.

Just a tip if you use this, the way to paste is to hit the clipboard icon in the RunningAHEAD toolbar.

Vista
                Dove

The Dovenator

Holly, that's my favorite picture from the weekend. Good times!

Erika,  I think you should try to get a reunion weekend scheduled in Alaska. I would love to run the marathon formerly know as Humpy's (or any other marathon you would recommend) and would be extremely motivated if there could be some sort of reunion gathering.

I ran a small 5k today, first one since the Boston Marathon 5k of 2009. No PR but I did win the masters division and met a ton of local runners (I don't hang with my local running community at all).

{{{{hot weather sufferers}}}}}

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Mariposai

I may be easily convinced to travel to Alaska for a marathon gathering as well.

Great race in the heat Dove. Master's win! Way to go!

8 miles tonight in 92F when started. Thank goodness for sprinkles around the orchards. I was soaked when I returned home. 

Off to be now...this awaits for me tomorrow...

http://www.cooltrails.com/mtbonaparte.htm

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Dove, they still call that the Humpy's Marathon! That was my very first BQ back in 2007. Now they call the whole group of runs (several from a 5k, MH and full marathon, maybe more) the "Big Wildlife Runs." Humpy's Bar sponsors the marathon, so that's why it's called that. The race ends right in front of the bar, kinda fun. Or, I should say, it used to. They changed the course this year, but I'm still thinking it would be good to do it as a training run.

I dunno... kind of expensive to get up here, would a lot of people really want to do this?? 2011 is a possibility. Or we could do the Mayor's Marathon in mid-June and take full advantage of the Midnight Sun (well, as much as Anchorage can... they get less daylight than we do). Of course if I were going to suggest the BEST marathon with an ultra option, I'd suggest the Equinox in mid-September!! But in all honesty the weather could really be bad (we could have driving rain, or snow, or both!) or it could be absolutely gorgeous. But that would be my race of choice. But, um, folks would have to train for some hills though...

What do you think? I'd be honored to host the Equinox, but Humpy's or Mayor's would require more logistics (not my home town).