Masters Running

Saturday May 23 Holiday Weekend Runs (Read 408 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a quick check-in to see how Byll did.  I'm sorry that he didn't have the race he'd hoped for, but glad that he still had a time he's happy with (definitely a respectable time in my book).  I look forward to hearing the whole story.

What a fabulous day here in southern Ohio!  84 degrees and brilliantly sunny.  We just got back from the waterpark and I'm pleasantly sun-blissed.  Hope I can stay awake in church later...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

We got a forte but no pianissimo?    What the heck's the deal with that?
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Some renovations and redecorating around here...cool! The emoticons look like the spectator section at a game or something or perhaps a crowd in the hot tub.

5.4 easy miles this morning and then a long hike with my boys. The kiddo used his new GPS/trekker that he saved up for and wanted to hike all day. He has a baseball game tonight, so we had to turn back (Pshew!). 

While Bill didn't have the race he wanted exactly, it sounds like he met all sorts of great new friends and had a wonderful time. Way to go!

Good Luck to all those racing tomorrow and Monday and Thank You to all who served then and serve ever still.

Well I am sure Byll still had a great time.  He sure looked happy in that photo.

Good Luck Busiman and Tall!!!  Don't stress.

Wildchild - your run sounded so so nice!

Oodles and oodles of yard work today, tomorrow and forever.  It's exhausting!

We can do degrees easy now! 65Fº

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

78° F

58%

12 miles with Ralph.  We were supposed to run at 0530 with our friends in town but, the curry chicken from Trader Joe's wreaked havoc on the poor man.  He said he was awake a lot last night.  I slept like a baby (I don't eat very much meat, had more rice and beans)

It was hot and the sun was, well, the sun.  I lost 6 pounds during the run and felt a bit woozy after. I wore my fuel belt with two water bottles but it was not enough today.  Rehydrating now.

Munch, I was happy to read about your 6 miles walk.  I sure hope you are painfree today.  Sorry that you are going through this.

Good luck to our racers tomorrow.

Byllere,

Congratulations on another marathon finish.  Enjoy Michigan while you're there!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Hey everyone!  I am truly happy and okay with my effort today.  I gave it my best shot.  In the immortal words of Holly "Marathons are Farqing Hard"!  Maybe I'm a better trainer than a racer but I can live with that.  The weekend was a blast and the weather is beautiful.

You all have poured such love my way that I do not deserve.  You all are the best.  I'll be back in town on Tuesday, maybe I'll post more then.  Thanks a heap!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

breger, I Know you ran with your heart and that is all I asked of  you. Great effort there pal

The wild called, I answered and in the process I lost my ultra virginity...50k this morning in the most beautiful route I have ever ran in my life. The best thing of this first ultra experience is that I got not one, but three SRLOPEZ hugs (dancing banana here). Thanks buddy for giving me all the support and encouragement. I could not have gone to the wild side without you. 

Will tell the story later, when I return home. Now it is time to shower, nap and then go to the Folk Life Festival with my son and college friends. I love this big city life.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Nancy had a top sekrit ultra she was running?? Wow! Way to Go  - I can't wait to hear all the details!

Congratulations Bergermeister - it may not have been the BQ, but I KNOW you had a great time and no regrets. I can't wait to hear your deets as well.

I ran 18 miles this morning. 3:07:02. I was so happy that it stayed cool and overcast most of the morning. The sun didn't burn off the clouds until about my last 3.5 miles or so.   Had I not been pressed for time and needed to get back home to eat, shower and go to son's football game, I think I would have turned this into a 20. I felt that good at the end that I know I could have done more.

Off in a few hrs to see Star Trek.

Have a good rest of the day everyone!

Tammy

xor

31 easy miles.  Well, easy pace-wise.  The last few were pretty hard.  Beautiful day in Western Washington - woohoo!

Got to hang out with mariposa-i and I ate a pancake.

King of PhotoShop

I think sub-4's are pretty nice for guys in their 50's.  When Bill is 60 he will look back on it as one heck of a great race.

Savor it Bill. We're all so proud of you for putting it out there, trying something new, sharing your training journey with us and posting your upbeat, no excuses, great attitude follow-up.  Now you get a month to jog around, sleep, eat and so on, before I nag you again!

How about Mariposai???  She runs a marathon, nice and easy and then figures "Ah, I feel okay, let's keep going," and runs her first 50K, like a walk in the park.  Good for her!

SRL, you did talk her into this didn't you?  Good work for you too.  Spareribs

xor

All I did was tell her about the fun run's existence.  I might have added that it would be more fun than running around Green Lake with 10,000 power walkers (although, the payment for missing out on 5-wide walkers was that the trail for this race... bike trail... was inhabited by 10,000 bikers).

Mariposa-i did GREAT!

In Ottawa tonight Deriba Merga our latest Boston Marathon champ missed the world record and a 100k bonus but ran a sizzling 27:23.9 on a beautiful if  a bit windy night. Site to behold. 8 runners under 29 minutes including Patrick Makau the second fastest half marathoner in history, who had an off night.

Time for bed in a few minutes...4:30 will come early.

Take care

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Congratulations, Bill!

And Mariposai - You're very sneaky with that, "oh wait, I ran a 50k today" like it ain't nothin' at all.  Nice job.

This was the first Saturday in absolute ages that I decided no running, no workout whatsoever, with the exception of being forced to because of sickness or surgery.  It felt so good to do whatever I wanted - which ended up sleeping in until after 9:00, then hitting the yard sales for about an hour and a half. Ended up with a few things to help make my hard a kitchy as possible, including a chair with a seat that I painted bright red, some sort of low heavy metal table that I spray-painted bright yellow, a tall Greek-looking column, and a purple/blue/white colored tall clay vase that - get this Mari - butterflies etched on it.  Lots of great carp at bargain basement prices.  Big grin

Tomorrow will be heavy duty yard work day . . . and we're cooking up in the smoker a goat leg The Hub's buddy gave us.  Not real sure I'm ready for that. :/  However, I counted the goats across the street and there are still five, and they each still have all four legs.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend, and keep forefront in your hearts and minds those men and women who have given their lives to keep our country safe and free.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

still trying to figure out this japanese computer but wow, leave town for a few weeks and miss mari`s first ultra, and with srl to boot right in our back yard. Since you don`t say, I bet you even got first place.  however, does this mean something about possibly climb a mountain again? thanks srl <<<( <i>jealous/jealous</i> )>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Congrats to both SRL and Mari on their 50K victories.  what an accomplishment!  And Mari is going to folklife today! My condo is across the street from there.   If this was my week off I would have been disappointed that we didn't have a chance to meet up

Mari,  If you happen to be in town for Bumbershoot, (the other end of the summer vacation)  Arf will be in town then.  (hint hint)

again,  congrats.