Masters Running

How do you keep your lower half warm when it's REALLY cold? (Read 465 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I mostly have my top half figured out, warmth-wise, but have a serious problem keeping my lower half warm  I have a nice pair of microfiber Sporthill winter running pants, but when temps are below 20 degrees, they're not enough and my butt and thighs get very cold.  Once these muscles are cold, my legs feel sluggish and stiff for pretty much the whole run.  When I have a LR planned in temps that are in the teens or below, I wear a pair of Land's End silk long johns underneath my running pants, which helps, but not entirely, and I feel bulky.

I looked at Dick's today for some running tights, thinking that, like my UA mock turtle, if my base layer was tight against my skin, it might make me feel warmer.  But everything I saw seemed so lightweight.

What do you folks wear to keep your lower half warm in frigid temps.  (And I'm not talking to people like Tramps, who wear shorts down to 20 degrees.    I'm talking about people who tend to get cold.)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

In a word, layers.  Down to about the high 20s with minimal wind, I'm OK with tight-fitting, fairly heavy weight tights from Sugoi.  High 20s plus wind, and I put a loose-fitting pair of wind pants that I got mega-cheap at an REI clearance a few winters ago over the Sugois.

Another option is light-weight tight-fitting tights over a fairly heavy loose-fitting pair of pants from Sporthill.

Lower than the mid-20s, and I don't run outside.  I was forced outside in that kind of weather, though, when I had to go into Philly during the December blizzard for a concert.  I did three layers - light weight tights, the Sporthill pants and the wind pants on top.  I could barely bend at the hips, let alone at the knees, but the show went on!

I've been thinking about your earlier posts about keeping your hands warm, too.  I have double-layer mittens - fleecy ones for inside and waterproof for outside.  My fingers get cold in them, though, so I tried fleecy, polartec gloves inside the water proof mittens and that works greta.

I'm going to work very, very hard to avoid complaining about the heat this summer after enduring this horrible winter!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--granted, my long runs don't compare with yours (I learned that early in my CR career), but I love my UA cold gear tihgts.  They may still feel bulky to you if silk long johns do.  I wear a pair of compression shorts under and have been comfortable down to 10º.   I did a little bit of looking to see if fleece wind shorts existed, but the only ones I found appeared to be only european.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kameele - they're called silk long johns, but they're not silky sleek or anything, just a lightweight long john. but they don't fit like compression tights would. 

Dg has a pair of CVX or CRX or something tights, but I never really asked her if they are warm enough on single digit days.  Dg - are you listening?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

Usually a pair of compression shorts under the tights does it for me.  I've gone down to 10 degrees or so with that setup.  From just above the knee down I never seem to need more than the one layer (tights).

I do have to confess to being in the Tramps camp.  I've gone out in shorts below 30 degrees.  Sorry.

MTA:  Didn't NFL players use pantyhose in the cold weather?  That's another thought.

Not at it at all. 

Renee the dog

Today I had a ski base layer and looser running pants.  Wasn't enough frankly and it took me 4 hrs to recover from being out one crappy hour. And, I felt "heavy" like my hips were getting pulled down.  (Kinda like my former colleagues' escapades wearing depends to go out drinking...but I digress). 

I think my best bet on the bottom would be to get a pair or two of heavier tights and just wear shorts over that...as it's my glutes and upper thighs that seem to have issues...

Oh, and I also have two heavy weight single layer pants from NB that I don't think they make anymore.  They're good up to about 13 miles, then the sweat starts to weigh them down too.

Tomorrow, I'm bringing an extra set to change out -- I need to get this long run done!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

coastwalker

Hi Holly,

I have a couple of pair of good, heavyweight tights that keep me comfortable enough on those really cold mornings. If's it's also windy, I'll add a pair of wind pants over my tights to keep cold out and my body heat in. That has done the job for me at wind chills down to about -10.

Most tights are fairly lightweight, but if you look hard enough (maybe online?) you can find winter-weights.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I can't help w/ this one because I'm usually good w/ just tights. But then the coldest I've run in here is

17 degrees. It's my hands and arms that I worry about.

I don't know how folks run in shorts in this miserable weather.  Today I ran a 1/2 marathon at a state park in middle Tn and it was cold and damp and there was a guy running arm in arm w/ his girlfriend and he had no shirt on!  Guess truel love keeps ya warm!

jfa

When it's below 20* , I wear a pair of poly long johns under my poly pants. I think you're right about the layer close to the skin. It makes for a good base layer, even if it's thin.

evanflein

Holly, it's not easy. I know what you mean. Once my butt gets cold it takes forever to warm up! I have some winter weight running tights by Brooks. They're very old and getting worn, I'm not looking forward to having to replace them, but I probably will pretty soon. Today was about 18 here at the house and 10 down on the flats where I did my middle miles, and I just wore those tights. Felt very good to just have the one layer!

If it's colder I layer on a pair of winter weight running pants by Hind. They're nice, but then you start getting that over-layered weighed down feeling. If it's colder than -15 or -20, I'll add the base layer of the silk long johns (like you have). The Brooks tights are pretty tight though, so it gets to be almost like compression tights!

Next tights I buy will have zippers on the ankles. The ones I have now don't, and sometimes it's a struggle to get them off!

dg.

Kameele - they're called silk long johns, but they're not silky sleek or anything, just a lightweight long john. but they don't fit like compression tights would. 

Dg has a pair of CVX or CRX or something tights, but I never really asked her if they are warm enough on single digit days.  Dg - are you listening?

I am I am!   sorry...   just a really busy weekend.    I haven't run outside enough this winter to have a good sense of how they are under a lot of different conditions, but what I've done when it's below 20 & windy is wear the warmer ones (their "insulator" version....  we never did have you try them on!)   with a pair of tights over them just in case.   Usually my lighter ones.   But if it's really really cold I have a pair of polartech tights that I got at TJ Max awhile ago... pre running.   i love them.   Will check at home to make sure what the fabric is but I think it's power-stretch.   smooth on the outside, light, warm, wind-resistant.  

Anyway... even on the day when my core was really cold & my hands were cold in ski mittens with hand warmers my legs have been ok.    longest run was only 15 though.