Masters Running

Sun Oct 16 Runs and Workouts (Read 375 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a quick fly-by to read and post. 6.75 miles this morning on the TM so I could try out my DVD player and then on to Cincinnati for soccer games. Btw, I just filled up both cars yesterday here for $2.47/gallon, thinking I was getting a deal, until I saw gas for $2.09/gallon in Cincinnati this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I think it was DaveinAA who said: 11-16 - MLR 17-20 - LR 21+ - FLR So my MLR was relatively short, as they go. Tongue
      I managed to crank out 22 miles at exactly 8:00 minute pace
      Shocked Hellova FLR, Tramps!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I had a blast w/ my two girls at Hudson, NY's Ghostly Gallop; I pushed a stoller and wore a pumpkinhead mask for a 23:10/ 3rd AG shuffle. I haven't run much since the Mara. 2 weeks ago, and was sick all last week. The girls did the 1 mile Fun Run....but they discovered it was more fun to walk. Tramps: I don't wear my ipod very often, but I think that it almost turns running into another sport, especially if you have the right tunes going into an interval workout. Fun stuff!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, I meant to run today, but DH decided the entire family needed to stack firewood. Does that count as cross-training?? I'm exhausted. I think we'll go get ice cream now.
          Mariposai

Great FLR at a FFP (frickingly fast pace) there Tramps Shocked It was going to be rest day for me today since my DH and I are going out to do some doorbelling for our candidate (did 2 hours yesterday and 2 hours today), but the weather is just too gorgeous to stay inside. So after church, I fed them boys and I took off for a lovely 6.5 miles. Miles 2-4-6 were @ 9m. Pretty please with them since I ran 10 miles yesterday. I must keep today's run in my memory treasure chest to remember them when the crappy days shows up)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hope everyone's Sunday is going well. Just back from a long weekend in Washington DC. I got a couple of runs in along the Potomac - nothing of great length as I was with DH who doesn't run and I didn't want to go off by myself when I wasn't sure where I was going. Duh! I never realized that this was the weekend of the Marine Corps Marathon. Dang, I wish I had know that our trip would coincide with it long enough ago that I could have trained for it. We were at Arlington National Cemetery on Friday afternoon, and I saw the banners for the start area. It looked to be an awesome course (along all the national monuments and the Potomac), and apparently they "tweaked" it to put most of the big hills more towards the middle of the route instead of around the 20 mile marker. The weather was fantastic when we left this morning at 7:00, about 40ish with no wind. All the rain moved out last night. I hope everyone from RA who ran today had a great time. One of my highlights of the trip? Friday night we were eating at a restaurant in Georgetown and a group of 8 young people (20's, maybe 30) sat next to us. They had just picked up their race packets and you could just see the excitement in their faces! One of the women was running her first marathon ever, and she was pumped!! She was hoping to run 9 minute miles. When we left, I told them all good luck, then wished that I could be part of the experience. Sad Maybe next year...
                5 easy miles cross-country with Dark Colt. Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                  5 miles for me today at a surprisingly quick pace considering how much I have run lately. 39 minutes to complete my 5...go me!

Renee the dog

dg, Yeah, my smoke alarm foot! Apparently, it was already irritated by the flip flops I wore after the 1/2...guess the smoke alarm put it over the edge! Tongue But what's cool about it is that it is not a running injury -- so I run. Cranium, Yes, Yeah You! It stinks being out of commission, but it sure is good on the way back!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

4 miles of walking no watch or Garmin...taking it easy today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

1:30 pm, 4 miles, 11:00 pace, perfect temperature and plenty of sunshine, quads are screaming at me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday evening all. I went up to Maine to close our camp and while driving around saw a sign for a 5K for today. It was for the local Lions club, but didn't have location or time. I went to the community bulletin board at a supermarket and located a Lions brochure and called one of the people listed to get the details. I then foolishly went and ran (very broad interpretation of the term Black eye ) it this morning. It very quickly pointed out that what few miles that I've run lately have been very flat. Nice downhill to start, but then into a very long uphill. I certainly wasn't the only one that ended up walking up part of it, but still didn't make me happy. 10:00 at the first mile, 19:15 at the second (with a little less in the way of hills), but then a 31:28 finish for a pretty major PW. a morning of closing, and as my DW pointed out, even less running than normal over the past 3 weeks, didn't help. It was a very small race (I was thinking of Tselbs, even though I didn't know anyone there) maybe 60-70 people including walkers. results hadn't been posted when I left or on coolrunning yet, so I'm not sure how far back I finished. They did something I hadn't seen before--the overall finishers also received AG medals Confused Haven't had a chance to read all the RR's yet, but I know mine doesn't need it's own thread Blush here's hoping for better running in the coming weeks. Kevin eta: just looked at my watch and my bad memory made it worse than it actually was 31:28 and not 32:28.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.